Thanksgiving College Showcase Silverlakes

It will be interesting if college coaches show at this showcase with Surf College Cup and November Nights the same weekend. They can evaluate more players per day at the San Diego County Showcases.

It will be interesting if college coaches show at this showcase with Surf College Cup and November Nights the same weekend. They can evaluate more players per day at the San Diego County Showcases.

I doubt the college coaches are going to travel 1.5 to 2 hours out of San Diego unless they have a very specific player they want to see. Nomads has a Thanksgiving tournament just down the road from the Polo fields at UCSD and only a few college coaches show up. Why would they leave two of the top Thanksgiving College showcases that have the majority of the top teams playing in them.

We played Nomads and had several college coaches come to see players. Every coach was also seeing players at Surf and NN. It was like they were working a circuit of tournaments. It will be interesting to see what the draw is here since it is not close to the other established tourneys. However, This one seems to be backed by some big clubs.

I wonder which tournament they expect to take market share from or if they expect to grow the pie.

Last edited:
Looks like quality clubs have committed to attend and I see that games for this age group are 90 min which gives coaches more time to watch players. We were at Surf Cup over the summer and the number of coaches overall was somewhat disappointing and we were in the top bracket playing against some of the very best teams. Maybe Surf Cup (summer or Thanksgiving) has had it's run? As they say, all good things come to and end.

Honestly, would you take a chance on this tournament ? I do like the full length games and it does look like top clubs have committed.

Looks like quality clubs have committed to attend and I see that games for this age group are 90 min which gives coaches more time to watch players. We were at Surf Cup over the summer and the number of coaches overall was somewhat disappointing and we were in the top bracket playing against some of the very best teams. Maybe Surf Cup (summer or Thanksgiving) has had it's run? As they say, all good things come to and end.

If your DD is a HS 2017 grad, you should have expected the turnout for the U18 and U18/19 college coaches to be low at Surf Cup. The Power 5 conference and top mid-major programs are evaluating 2019 (U16) and 2020 (U15) recruits. The only schools still recruiting for 2017 players are low mid-major, D2, D3 and NAIA schools. The best players, unless injured have all committed as HS Sophomores and Juniors already.

Honestly, would you take a chance on this tournament ? I do like the full length games and it does look like top clubs have committed.
If your DD's team was denied Surf College Showcase and November Nights what do you have to lose?

I doubt the college coaches are going to travel 1.5 to 2 hours out of San Diego unless they have a very specific player they want to see. Nomads has a Thanksgiving tournament just down the road from the Polo fields at UCSD and only a few college coaches show up. Why would they leave two of the top Thanksgiving College showcases that have the majority of the top teams playing in them.

If your DD is a HS 2017 grad, you should have expected the turnout for the U18 and U18/19 college coaches to be low at Surf Cup. The Power 5 conference and top mid-major programs are evaluating 2019 (U16) and 2020 (U15) recruits. The only schools still recruiting for 2017 players are low mid-major, D2, D3 and NAIA schools. The best players, unless injured have all committed as HS Sophomores and Juniors already.
For uncommitted senior girls, they need to get on the phone and call the coaches of the schools that they would like to attend and find out if; 1. is the school seriously interested in them, and 2. when and where will the coach be to watch them play, that should dictate where to play this coming Thanksgiving. If my girl had a coach say that they would be at Surf and her team was going to Silverlakes, I would have her guest play with any team possible in SD. What I am assuming is that there are still a significant amount of uncommitted seniors that are still hoping to be discovered.

Now, as a parent just wanting to watch my kid play, Silverlakes is 1/2 hour away, that's were I would go.

Wait, does this mean most of the Socal ECNL teams are pulling out of Surf Cup and playing Silverlakes instead??? If so, then there are a lot of ramifications to say the least...

So, when are they going to release the accepted teams list and college coach list?
As soon as the committed clubs tell all of the top teams in each age group that they have to play in Norco...and they say yes. Do it too early teams may decide to do something different.

I spoke to a college coach yesterday from the east coast. He is going to see his players at Lakes as well as the Surf and NN. Lots of driving...

Has Silver Lakes released their accepted teams list?
Sorry, should have been more clear in my post. Based upon what I perceived to be fewer quality So Cal teams on the Surf schedule, I was taking an educated guess that they all went to Silver Lakes. I have no firsthand knowledge of this, rather I am looking for a So Cal parent to look at the schedule for Surf and help navigate the numerous iterations of So Cal teams to help determine if Surf still is the "Best of the Best" this time around.

Back