Ted Cruz has No Dignity

tenacious

PREMIER
Well written piece in the Business Insider saying Ted Cruz has no dignity... because he officially gave it away to Donald Trump. And I agree, but interested to read what others think? Link and most of the opinion piece down below in the quote box... but here is the author's argument in a nutshell:

What is dignity?
Dignity is "bearing, conduct or speech indicative of self-respect."

So, for example, if a man tweets side-by-side photos of your wife and his wife intending to show that his wife is hot and yours isn't, and then that man beats you in an election, and then he leaves the tweet up for two years, and then you praise him for having "disoriented and distressed members of the media and political establishment" such as yourself, then your speech has failed to indicate self-respect, and you lack dignity.

Donald Trump stole Ted Cruz's dignity — but some Republicans have held on to theirs
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-ted-cruz-time-blurb-republicans-dignity-2018-4

Nearly two years ago, I wrote a note of warning to House Speaker Paul Ryan: Trump can beat you, but he can only take away your dignity if you surrender it to him voluntarily (or if you are Jeb Bush).

Ryan didn't listen.

But on the occasion of Ted Cruz's florid Time 100 tribute to the man who accused his dad of being involved in the JFK assassination and threatened to "spill the beans" on his wife, I thought it was time to take stock of the overall state of Republican dignity: Who's offered it up to Trump on a plate, who's preserved it, and has anyone besides Jeb had it taken away involuntarily?

The results are a mixed bag — not as grim as you might expect.

What is dignity?

So, for example, if a man tweets side-by-side photos of your wife and his wife intending to show that his wife is hot and yours isn't, and then that man beats you in an election, and then he leaves the tweet up for two years, and then you praise him for having "disoriented and distressed members of the media and political establishment" such as yourself, then your speech has failed to indicate self-respect, and you lack dignity.

I should be clear about what dignity is not. To be dignified, a Republican officeholder does not have to be a liberal. They don't have to abandon long-held positions on issues like taxes and healthcare just because Donald Trump agrees with them. They don't have to criticize the president at every turn.

They just have to show that they're their own people, making choices of their own volition rather than because Trump has put them in the position of feeling they must do something.

Mostly, they have to avoid doing things that are obviously ridiculous. It's a low bar. And a handful of Republican officeholders have even managed to clear it.

These Republicans have kept their dignity
5abe440d5c791e36008b45bf-750-425.jpg

Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski sit beside President Donald Trump.
Kevin Lamarque/Reuters
The most obvious dignity-retainers are Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski. They have been mindful of their power as the most moderate Republicans in a closely divided body, and they've leveraged that power to shape policy.

They've felt free to speak candidly about the president, who does not appear to live rent-free inside their heads.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Collins and Murkowski are women. But what's set them apart in terms of their ability to wield independent power is the fact they both possess independent political profiles in their home states (Maine and Alaska, respectively), which means they are not held at the mercy of the Republican base.

Murkowski has already once lost a Republican primary for renomination and gotten herself reelected by running as a write-in candidate. Collins beat a credible Democratic challenger by 23 points in 2008, not an easy year for Republicans nationally, due to her enormous crossover appeal.

Unlike most Republican officeholders, Collins and Murkowski have reason to believe they could take on Trump and win, and that confidence has shone through as self-respect. (I'll talk a little later about another Republican senator — Jeff Flake — who does not have reason for such confidence.)

A number of blue-state Republican governors have similarly demonstrated their independence from Trump: Massachusetts' Charlie Baker, Maryland's Larry Hogan, and Vermont's Phil Scott, to name a few. That's laudable, but easier and less impressive than what Collins and Murkowski have done, since they don't have to share a legislative process with him.

But the most impressive dignity-retainer is Nikki Haley, the UN ambassador, since she's held onto her dignity while serving in the federal executive branch. Not only has she spared herself the usual dignity-squandering chores like defending the president's reaction to the Charlottesville riot. She has also managed to break publicly with the administration, burnish her own political profile, and not get fired.

I actually don't understand how she manages it.

A subjective case: Is Lindsey Graham dignified?
59c031469803c5df008b728a-750-500.jpg
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
The senator from South Carolina has been all over the map. During the campaign, he called Trump "a race-baiting, xenophobic religious bigot." He said if Republicans nominated Trump, they would get destroyed and deserve it. He said Trump was a "nut job" and "a loser as a person" (which, incidentally, sounds like something Trump would say).
And now? Well, now Trump and Graham are friends, it seems.

Graham has praised the president's handling of foreign-policy issues — especially when Trump disagrees with Graham's Senate nemesis, Rand Paul — and...

Last edited:
Well written piece in the Business Insider saying Ted Cruz has no dignity... because he officially gave it away to Donald Trump. And I agree, but interested to read what others think? Whole opinion piece down below in the quote box... but here is the author's argument in a nutshell:

What is dignity?

The more you Liberal's post lowlife character assinations on people the
worse your case becomes....Your Party is Flat Dead Broke, and
yet you continue to paint the most vile images of yourselves with
these hate filled posts.....No one...I repeat No one wants to be around
the type of negativity your are surrounding yourselves with....No One !

The more you Liberal's post lowlife character assinations on people the
worse your case becomes....Your Party is Flat Dead Broke, and
yet you continue to paint the most vile images of yourselves with
these hate filled posts.....No one...I repeat No one wants to be around
the type of negativity your are surrounding yourselves with....No One !

Did you read the article? Ted Cruz is running around kissing the ass of a man who has made vicious personal attacks at Ted and his immediate family members (and offering no apology for it). Attack me all you want- Ted Cruz has demonstrably no dignity left now that we've seen him grovelling to Trump given their history.

Did you read the article? Ted Cruz is running around kissing the ass of a man who has made vicious personal attacks at Ted and his immediate family members (and offering no apology for it). Attack me all you want- Ted Cruz has demonstrably no dignity left now that we've seen him grovelling to Trump given their history.

Oh Puleeeeze....Get a life....

Your Party is now the center of a Sex Slave Cult investigation and you
go dig in a sandbox for " Old " Cruz poop.....Gimmeee a break.

Oh Puleeeeze....Get a life....

Your Party is now the center of a Sex Slave Cult investigation and you
go dig in a sandbox for " Old " Cruz poop.....Gimmeee a break.

nonono... let's talk about Ted Cruz. You don't see him differently now that he's publicly prostrating himself who called his wife ugly and called him a liar to his face on national TV?

nonono... let's talk about Ted Cruz. You don't see him differently now that he's publicly prostrating himself who called his wife ugly and called him a liar to his face on national TV?

Usually people that have " Cats " clean the litter box and throw it away....
Mr Turd.....just throw it away, don't save it....it smells of Democratic hatred...

Usually people that have " Cats " clean the litter box and throw it away....
Mr Turd.....just throw it away, don't save it....it smells of Democratic hatred...

Ahh yes... very good point. I'll try and keep that all in mind.

But going back to the article, what did you think of the comments on Nikki Haley. Here let me repost them:
But the most impressive dignity-retainer is Nikki Haley, the UN ambassador, since she's held onto her dignity while serving in the federal executive branch. Not only has she spared herself the usual dignity-squandering chores like defending the president's reaction to the Charlottesville riot. She has also managed to break publicly with the administration, burnish her own political profile, and not get fired.

Ahh yes... very good point. I'll try and keep that all in mind.

But going back to the article, what did you think of the comments on Nikki Haley. Here let me repost them:

What do you think is on the Horizon with HRC and the Allison Mack association.....

Oh....by the way Nikki Haley's doing her job quite well.

What do you think is on the Horizon with HRC and the Allison Mack association.....

Oh....by the way Nikki Haley's doing her job quite well.

I agree on Haley. I disagree with her politics but unlike "Lyn' Ted" she does seem to be working with Trump in a way that is improving her political stock.

What about Lindsey Graham. They talk about him in there too. He's a lot tougher call then Cruz or Haley.

I agree on Haley. I disagree with her politics but unlike "Lyn' Ted" she does seem to be working with Trump in a way that is improving her political stock.

What about Lindsey Graham. They talk about him in there too. He's a lot tougher call then Cruz or Haley.

Is Lindsey Graham gunna call out HRC for her DEEP association with NXIVM and Allison Mack.......

Is Lindsey Graham gunna call out HRC for her DEEP association with NXIVM and Allison Mack.......

Yes I suppose if I were on your side I'd be trying to change the subject away from Trump too.

Anyway that NXIVM stuff is crazy. I try not to read those type of stories but that one is oh my god good.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more comments. Two years ago Cruz was going to shut down the government and lead the Tea Party into the White House... and now he's licking Trump's boots hoping to save his job. Totally disgusting and I'm embarrassed for how far he's fallen.

Are all the conservatives just going to pretend it didn't happen? Does it just get swept under the rug or do any of you have thoughts on what this might mean for Cruz's political future?

Yes I suppose if I were on your side I'd be trying to change the subject away from Trump too.

Anyway that NXIVM stuff is crazy. I try not to read those type of stories but that one is oh my god good.

When I go to a restaurant and order a dinner I want a dinner, not a " Fantasy " Dinner.
You are trying to converse about a " Fantasy ", I am asking YOU about Reality.....

The POTUS has done nothing....Zero....You have NO evidence...
None of the Individuals Mueller has had charged ..are charged with
Crimes....Everyone is due to " Entrapment " comments....
Mueller is a piece of Shit.
Andrew Weissman is a piece of shit with a Long record of false imprisionment.

You know exactly what the NXIVM is, who it's related too, how deep it goes, how
many Democrats AND Rhinos are implicated.....It's damn disgusting and needs to
be brought out in the public for PLAIN View !!!!!!

You patsy ass Liberals tried to scoff about Pizzagate, YOU KNOW IT'S REAL AND YOU KNOW HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON IS INVOLVED !!!!!

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more comments. Two years ago Cruz was going to shut down the government and lead the Tea Party into the White House... and now he's licking Trump's boots hoping to save his job. Totally disgusting and I'm embarrassed for how far he's fallen.

Are all the conservatives just going to pretend it didn't happen? Does it just get swept under the rug or do any of you have thoughts on what this might mean for Cruz's political future?

A Nothing Burger......Enjoy !

A Nothing Burger......Enjoy !

So you don't think lowering himself to a man who so humiliated him this past election won't effect his standing with the alfa alt right, gun toting, pickup truck driving far right wing Ted Nuggent style conservatives who are his base? I'm not a conservative so I don't know if Im really the one to judge... but even for Lyn' Ted that might be a bridge too far for his supporters to follow..

Last edited:
So you don't think lowering himself to a man who so humiliated him this past election won't effect his standing with the alfa alt right, gun toting, pickup truck driving far right wing Ted Nuggent style conservatives who are his base? I'm not a conservative but I don't know... even for Lyn' Ted that might be a bridge too far.

No you are not a Conservative.....

Now stop with the empty bag sales.....

No you are not a Conservative.....

Now stop with the empty bag sales.....

I said I was like his base? Umm not sure where that came from... as actually I think I wondered aloud how acting like a girlie man can't be going over well with his "Texas Tough" base of support.

Last edited:
I said I was his base? Umm not sure where that came from... as actually I think I wondered aloud how acting like a girlie man can't be going over well with his "Texas Tough" base of support.

Not only are you a Dork, you cannot read/comprehend responses....

Let's just stick to insults with you.....You like that much better Mr Turd.

Not only are you a Dork, you cannot read/comprehend responses....

Let's just stick to insults with you.....You like that much better Mr Turd.

We're going to stick with insults. Idk. You sure this is the best path forward for us?

Last edited:
Back