Tech Specs - 2018 Legends Classic (06 - Gold Flight) - Tech Specs

Tournament season is here! After National Cup culminated with the end of the 17-18 season, we've had very little to hold us over in the form of spring leagues / scrimmages. CRL Play In was exciting a couple of weeks ago and got the ball rolling but Legends Classic gets the tournament season under way. This season we will see varying leagues competing for our attention and will divide some of the competition and tournaments may very well be the only place we get to see some teams compete with one another.

Legends Classic has become the "official" kick off to tournament season and will lead into Cerritos and Man City next weekend, but let's take a look at some of the competition this week at Legends and what may unfold...

The Details...

Format
16 Teams
4 Groups of 4 Teams
Group Winners Advance

Game Length
30 Minute Halves

End of Regulation
No Overtime in any Games, straight to PKs.

Scoring System
10 Point System
- 6 Point for Wins
- 1 Bonus Point for Goals Scored, Max 3 Points
- 1 Bonus Point for Shutout, Excludes 0-0 Draw

TieBreakers
  1. Head to Head
  2. Most Wins
  3. Fewest Goals Allowed
  4. Most Goals Scored (Max. 3 per Game)
  5. PKs

Schedule
Group Round - Saturday / Sunday
Semi-Finals - Sunday Early Afternoon
Finals - Sunday Late Afternoon

Primarily Silverlakes, with Bracket C playing Saturdays games at Ayala Park

The Rundown...
Bracket A

• Legends FC
  • OC Surf
  • San Diego Force
  • SC Blues Holley
Legends "B" will see a familiar face in SD Force as they recently squared off in CRL Play in a hard fought battle with the edge to Legends. As good as those two up and comers may be, this group will see favorites SC Blues with the spotlight. Brandy Holley's girls were very busy last season and fell in the National Cup final to Surf by 1 goal in a game that had many scratching their head as tactics put Blues behind the ball from the jump. This squad can go toe to toe with anyone and I believe that's what you'll see in this group. No conservative play, and the foot on the gas. Rounding out the group is the impressive OC Surf, who are my favorite here in terms of style of play but they will be challenged by both Legends and SD Force so they best not overlook them as they eye the favorite Blues.

Bracket B
  • Beach FC SB
  • CDA Slammers HB
  • CZ Elite
  • Legends FC Pre-Academy
Heavyweights Legends Pre-Academy will be favored to win their own tournament and should get more than just a tune up in the competition in this group. CDA Slammers HB turned some heads last season and will look to to continue to solidify themselves as legit Flight 1. CZ Elite has been able to keep a core group of players and smoothen out the edges to put themselves on the big stage this season. Lastly Beach FC - SB continues the theme of promising Flight 1 competition to give this group a toss up for who will be seeded #2-4 in what looks like is Legends group to lose.

Bracket C
  • Futbol Valencia
  • Legends FC - Gold
  • Rebels SC Elite
  • SDSC Navy Elite
SDSC really impressed me at CRL Play In, but ran into formidable foes in Pats Pre-Academy and SoCal Academy to just miss out from qualifying to a league they could certainly hung in. Now they turn their focus to the tournament at hand and will be favored to come out of Bracket C with a Rebels SC close behind them. Rebels with Abel Martinez at the helm is always fun to watch with creative skill and vision. The Sunday match up between these two could very well be for the group and the ticket to the Semi-Finals. A team to not be overlooked is Legends - Gold which competed in this tournament last year in Flight 2 and made a run to the Semi's. The "Riverside" squad took some lumps last year but definitely keeps pushing forward. Valencia is making the jump to Flight 1 competition and will have some chances to prove themselves in this accessible bracket.

Bracket D
  • Legends FC - SGV
  • Murrieta Surf
  • Slammers FC - Reserve II
  • Strikers FC - North RA
In one of the softer and more balanced brackets, it's up for grabs as more than one of these teams will look to prove they belong. Legends SGV is bringing the Carlo Guerrero show back to Legends, but is it to stay this time? Both Murrieta and Slammers will look to put on a good showing, but if there's a favorite here, it has to be Strikers, who is the most consistent of the bunch.

Should be some good competition to open up tournament season. I'm picking Blues, Legends Pre-Academy, SDSC, and Strikers FC to make the Semi-Finals. SC Blues and Legends to meet in the finals! But you never know.....that's why they play the games. What's everyone's take, who are your picks and what should we be watching for this weekend?

Best of luck to everyone this weekend, my "little" one will be guesting in this Flight so I hope to catch up with friends, old and new.

Oc surf 3-0 over sd force (score is currently posted wrong on website).

Saw 2-3 anaheim surf girls in blues uniforms this morning. Guests or did they move over?

Didn’t recognize anyone on Legends Pre Academy from last years team. Not sure about 4-0 score online as I never saw a goal scored as our girls warmed up and was told the final was 0-0?

Back