Team Ranking Point...

GotSoccer rankings are a joke. My son's team would regularly smash nationally ranked teams from out of state that play 20 tournaments a year. College coaches don't care. Neither should you. But Americans are obsessed about creating ranking lists.

No, because rankings don't make the team. College coaches know which teams get the results, and which ones don't, just as they quickly learn who the talented players are on those teams. Find a club environment that is comfortable for her and helps her overall development...then enter and win state/national cup...go to, and win Region IV, and hopefully make it to the USYS Nationals and you will see that the GotSoccer rankings are really inconsequential and insignificant.

On the other hand, youthsoccerrankings.com is a resource to evaluate teams from other regions that might be unfamiliar to you. It is a decent way to compare team levels from region to region....but if one team is ranked 73, and the other is ranked 76, then it is a stretch to say one is better than the other.
I was actually agreeing with everything you said, until you went all USYSA muppet again. But, point taken and I agree :)

For the player that wants to play in college, it all comes down to exposure to college coaches. In the past, the best route for girls was to play ECNL, and the second best way was to play USYS National League. In the future, the ranking for exposure to college coaches will probably be GDA, ECNL and the USYS National League. For the player that does not have any of those options (or does), ID camps can be a good avenue.

Rankings only matter for getting a team into higher level tournaments/brackets. As many have said the rankings have problems, but they can serve a purpose.

I have to ask this because unlike many of the soccer parents I have not "drank the koolaid." So in the big scheme of things what does this ranking really do for a player? My DD manager tells all the parents how we have to play only tournament which will increase our rankings so that college coaches will see our daughters and they will all get full ride division one scholarships.....OK, an exaggeration, but not by much....so if a girl is not on a team that plays these type of "rank creating" tournaments are they screwing themselves for college play?
Got soccer is just a tournament scoring website. They award points to teams that play in tournaments that use their software. Tournaments can move up in ranking by having higher ranked teams play in their tournament and teams can move up by playing in and winning GS tournaments. The catch is, the more points you earn, the harder it is to get more points, so you have to play in and win more tournaments next year than you did this year, just to hold your place. Rinse and repeat. The only advantage (if there is one???) is it is hard for tournament directors to accept and properly seed teams in a bracket, especially out of state teams. So, using GS rankings to seed teams helps. I know that is a weak excuse, but it is one nonetheless :)

Also, tournament's rankings go up with the higher ranked teams playing in the top flight, so you will see teams get top flight placement even though they are clearly not as good as someone else who is ranked lower.

But, like has been said earlier. Win and you're in. If you are good, you will get into the big tournaments. And if your players are good, college coaches will come to watch, even if they aren't on a USYSA National championship team...

IMHO, I think the Youth Soccer Ranking site is great. http://youthsoccerrankings.us/index_2016.html. For many of us (without Tech Spec Posts) its the only way we would have any idea of the caliber of team our kids would be facing on big tournamant weekends. Its a great source for information on past game results that anyone can look up to see how teams have matched up in the past. Yeah I look at the rankings, but mostly I use it to look at the previous matchs and scores of the teams to get a good idea of who my DD will be up against. GS has its flaws but Thank God for these sites. they put all the info in one place and make it easy for you.

Yeah I look at the rankings, but mostly I use it to look at the previous matchs and scores of the teams to get a good idea of who my DD will be up against. GS has its flaws but Thank God for these sites. they put all the info in one place and make it easy for you.

Same here. I like to be able to try to plan a weekend so if nothing else, the ranking sites bring all the matches up at once. YSR was great because it was (and hopefully will be again) pretty good about predicting outcomes, as much as you can predict anything with pre-teen girls (in my case).

No, because rankings don't make the team. College coaches know which teams get the results, and which ones don't, just as they quickly learn who the talented players are on those teams. Find a club environment that is comfortable for her and helps her overall development...then enter and win state/national cup...go to, and win Region IV, and hopefully make it to the USYS Nationals and you will see that the GotSoccer rankings are really inconsequential and insignificant.

On the other hand, youthsoccerrankings.com is a resource to evaluate teams from other regions that might be unfamiliar to you. It is a decent way to compare team levels from region to region....but if one team is ranked 73, and the other is ranked 76, then it is a stretch to say one is better than the other.

Coaches don't care about tournament titles other than the ODP national championship or La Manga/Gradisca etc. I don't ever remember them asking about a tournament. However, I do remember them raving about them seeing her kill it at ODP regionals or ECNL nationals.

Your player is committed Cali give them the real story not the Legends commercial.

I will even give you some advice to help yours at NC State. Get her working on her fitness and strength if she wants to play as a freshman. It worked pretty well for mine.

Got Soccer point system favors teams that compete successfully in Got Soccer tournaments. It appears to my inexperienced eye that Got Soccer rankings have an impact on Got Soccer Tournament bracketing. The teams with the higher Got Soccer points are admitted to exclusive tournaments and/or are fast tracked in tournament seeding. Tournament directors can justify acceptance and seeding via Got Soccer points. Obviously, this is not an ideal situation. One cannot go wrong collecting Got Soccer points playing Got Soccer tournaments.

On the flip side to that is that their are whole spring leagues not sanctioned under gotsoccer. And many tournaments too, so sometimes a team comes into a tournament placed into the lowest bracket bc they have minimal gotsoccer points and cleans up the competition. Then people call foul bc they shouldn't have been placed in that bracket...no win situation.

Last edited:
I will even give you some advice to help yours at NC State. Get her working on her fitness and strength if she wants to play as a freshman. It worked pretty well for mine.

Dumb advice. I have not touched a soccer ball since graduating college 4 years ago and I could start at NC State as a Freshman.

Dumb advice. I have not touched a soccer ball since graduating college 4 years ago and I could start at NC State as a Freshman.
I don't care to get drawn into your love affair with MAP, but it is highly doubtful you could get in thru the gate, even with a ticket.

Back