Team Ranking Point...

etc1217

SILVER ELITE
What aren't the ranking points regulated? Most tournaments go with Got Soccer scoring but some do not, why is that? So clubs that play those tournaments who aren't sanctioned by Got Soccer don't count towards anything except that the club/team played and maybe won but no one cares because they didn't get points on Got Soccer. If everything is based on ranking and how teams are seeded against each other then the ranking points should be regulated so any tournament played counts.

Where is the logic? Can someone explain that to me because I don't get it..

What aren't the ranking points regulated? Most tournaments go with Got Soccer scoring but some do not, why is that? So clubs that play those tournaments who aren't sanctioned by Got Soccer don't count towards anything except that the club/team played and maybe won but no one cares because they didn't get points on Got Soccer. If everything is based on ranking and how teams are seeded against each other then the ranking points should be regulated so any tournament played counts.

Where is the logic? Can someone explain that to me because I don't get it..

Gotsoccer is its own little festering boil. The easiest way to get ahead in GS points is to play in GS-managed tournaments.

Regulated? Logic? Why are you using these words when talking about youth soccer rankings? Anything on GotSoccer or Top Drawer Soccer is biased towards the interests of those websites. For GotSoccer, it is all about rewarding teams that play in tournaments that use GotSoccer for standings/scores. Top Drawer Soccer and ECNL may as well be the same organization since non-ECNL teams/events/players rarely get any mention, and if they do it may be negative. The only website that is based on a sound, all inclusive model is:
http://youthsoccerrankings.us/
but he has taken down all the rankings until the age/year fiasco works it's way through the system and there are results for all the new teams/rosters to base the rankings on. He does have a link to the older rankings if you want to see how the teams used to stack up against one another.

Also, the GotSoccer rankings are even more screwed up b/c of the birth year change. Some teams have kept their points from their last year's team while other teams have opted to start fresh and didn't carry over any points from last year's team. The GotSoccer rankings are laughable.

Regulated? Logic? Why are you using these words when talking about youth soccer rankings? Anything on GotSoccer or Top Drawer Soccer is biased towards the interests of those websites. For GotSoccer, it is all about rewarding teams that play in tournaments that use GotSoccer for standings/scores. Top Drawer Soccer and ECNL may as well be the same organization since non-ECNL teams/events/players rarely get any mention, and if they do it may be negative. The only website that is based on a sound, all inclusive model is:
http://youthsoccerrankings.us/
but he has taken down all the rankings until the age/year fiasco works it's way through the system and there are results for all the new teams/rosters to base the rankings on. He does have a link to the older rankings if you want to see how the teams used to stack up against one another.

What is youthsoccerrankings method?

Why do rankings matter for youth soccer? Do kids really care that they are the 26th ranked team in Cal South on got soccer, but the 18th ranked in some other ranking system?
We can't even agree on the top 25 teams in college football every year and we use extensive algorithms and expert eyeballs. Why do we expect youth soccer rankings to be accurate?
I guess marketing might be the only reason that these things matter. Or maybe for college recruiting purposes.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/

I compute the rankings for the age group and gender that my kid plays in (G04) using excel solver to compute the rankings. They are getting more and more accurate imo as the sample size of games that teams play in increase. I have to enter game scores in from all Cal South tournaments and eventually league play. It would be nice if the data was collected in one place for all age groups and genders but it isn't. If anyone wants to do the same rankings for their age group/gender PM me and I can give you my spreadsheet and you can copy they way it is done for your age group (you have to enter your own scores etc...).

I compute the rankings for the age group and gender that my kid plays in (G04) using excel solver to compute the rankings. They are getting more and more accurate imo as the sample size of games that teams play in increase. I have to enter game scores in from all Cal South tournaments and eventually league play. It would be nice if the data was collected in one place for all age groups and genders but it isn't. If anyone wants to do the same rankings for their age group/gender PM me and I can give you my spreadsheet and you can copy they way it is done for your age group (you have to enter your own scores etc...).

Does your method include goal differential? How do you handle games decided by kicks?

Does your method include goal differential? How do you handle games decided by kicks?

Yes, it includes goal differential. Solver gives each team a "strength rating" based on scores of all games played. It uses a best fit calculation to match up strength ratings and score differential of games and tries to minimize the error (squared) thus coming up with a best fit "strength rating" for each team. As sample size increases - the rankings get more and more accurate. For games decided by PKs, I enter them as a tie. I think that is the best way to handle games decided by PKs.

IMO, all the teams should have started from scratch. I would say 90% of the teams this year are basically new, there may be some with a 50% return from last year but for the most part all the teams are new. It's so stupid that some of these teams are riding on last year's coat tails. If they are good, they will prove it on the pitch and get the points they actually deserve. Yeah, it's youth soccer but you figured someone would have thought of that but guess not...

I nominate @Technician72 !

Most of that is bragging about how much better they are than everyone else, without going much into how they do it.
Most of it is, but the part that is not explains how he does the rankings. It is solely based on game results. From the site:
"This site ranks 133,000 youth soccer teams in the USA based upon the results of 1.1 million games in the last 18 months. The results come directly from more than 350 different tournament or league websites and are the most accurate and complete set used by any ranking system. The rankings are based solely on team results. Every goal in every game is considered when calculating the ranking of each team. Each team is assigned a score that is measured in goals."

Most of it is, but the part that is not explains how he does the rankings. It is solely based on game results. From the site:
"This site ranks 133,000 youth soccer teams in the USA based upon the results of 1.1 million games in the last 18 months. The results come directly from more than 350 different tournament or league websites and are the most accurate and complete set used by any ranking system. The rankings are based solely on team results. Every goal in every game is considered when calculating the ranking of each team. Each team is assigned a score that is measured in goals."

That's a pretty thin explanation.

Yes, it includes goal differential. Solver gives each team a "strength rating" based on scores of all games played. It uses a best fit calculation to match up strength ratings and score differential of games and tries to minimize the error (squared) thus coming up with a best fit "strength rating" for each team. As sample size increases - the rankings get more and more accurate. For games decided by PKs, I enter them as a tie. I think that is the best way to handle games decided by PKs.
Does it include use of guests or not ? :):p

Got Soccer shouldn't even call it's "number" a rank. I'd call it a points standing.

Like others have said, many teams have carried points over from prior years, even though most teams are a shell of the former team. My daughter's is one such team, that only last weekend played their first Got Soccer tournament this season, so they had no points and everyone assumed they were a 'new team'. The older team in the "split" took the Got Soccer standings and the team behind theirs last year took the younger's points. They were left in the middle. Nobody associated with the team, including myself, even cares.

It will be about a year before Got Soccer, and any other resource that is using results prior to and including end of season tournaments, like State/National Cup, reflect the state of the current teams.

I have to ask this because unlike many of the soccer parents I have not "drank the koolaid." So in the big scheme of things what does this ranking really do for a player? My DD manager tells all the parents how we have to play only tournament which will increase our rankings so that college coaches will see our daughters and they will all get full ride division one scholarships.....OK, an exaggeration, but not by much....so if a girl is not on a team that plays these type of "rank creating" tournaments are they screwing themselves for college play?

I have to ask this because unlike many of the soccer parents I have not "drank the koolaid." So in the big scheme of things what does this ranking really do for a player? My DD manager tells all the parents how we have to play only tournament which will increase our rankings so that college coaches will see our daughters and they will all get full ride division one scholarships.....OK, an exaggeration, but not by much....so if a girl is not on a team that plays these type of "rank creating" tournaments are they screwing themselves for college play?
No, because rankings don't make the team. College coaches know which teams get the results, and which ones don't, just as they quickly learn who the talented players are on those teams. Find a club environment that is comfortable for her and helps her overall development...then enter and win state/national cup...go to, and win Region IV, and hopefully make it to the USYS Nationals and you will see that the GotSoccer rankings are really inconsequential and insignificant.

On the other hand, youthsoccerrankings.com is a resource to evaluate teams from other regions that might be unfamiliar to you. It is a decent way to compare team levels from region to region....but if one team is ranked 73, and the other is ranked 76, then it is a stretch to say one is better than the other.

Last edited:
Back