Surf Turkey Day Cup Accepted Teams (So far)

11 teams accepted so far for the '08s, hoping we (LAGSD) get in! The competition is even stiffer than the Blues Cup (Based on the current rankings through 9/26)

surfcup08.png

Looks like a very strong feel...should be fun! Have you been updating the rankings with regular season results?
I have been updating the rankings every other week or so if i am stuck on a few conference calls. havent published them but if there is interest let me know and i can send them to you privately. the rankings above are current to the date posted.

This tournament should be a very good indication of where the teams are at. Thanks Carlsbad for taking the time to input the data for the rankings. I know you didn't design the algorithm, but the rankings don't seem to give the real story on the top teams. Strength of schedule seems to be valued too little as the top few teams have been beat (sometimes repeatedly) by lower ranked teams. That being said, the top 10 or so are generally all strong teams and I understand the rankings are just for fun.

This tournament should be a very good indication of where the teams are at. Thanks Carlsbad for taking the time to input the data for the rankings. I know you didn't design the algorithm, but the rankings don't seem to give the real story on the top teams. Strength of schedule seems to be valued too little as the top few teams have been beat (sometimes repeatedly) by lower ranked teams. That being said, the top 10 or so are generally all strong teams and I understand the rankings are just for fun.
Let hear the real story then!! What's your take on the top teams??? And since its looks like you analyzed the strength of schedule you might as well include that also

Let hear the real story then!! What's your take on the top teams??? And since its looks like you analyzed the strength of schedule you might as well include that also

Not trying to stir things up. Just pointing out that some things are hard to capture when you use an algorithm to rank teams, especially when the teams aren't all playing in the same tournaments/leagues/flights. Recent head-to-head games seems like a better indicator than any algorithm. I think the top teams are all very strong. Just pointing out that that rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Looking forward to Surf Thanksgiving.

Not trying to stir things up. Just pointing out that some things are hard to capture when you use an algorithm to rank teams, especially when the teams aren't all playing in the same tournaments/leagues/flights. Recent head-to-head games seems like a better indicator than any algorithm. I think the top teams are all very strong. Just pointing out that that rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Looking forward to Surf Thanksgiving.

It is a best fit algorithm similar to the original BCS algorithm with all the same faults and only meant to be fun and for discussion like this. I am guessing you are a Blues parent and suggesting that the recent wins over Strikers and LAGSD are a better indicator than earlier losses to both clubs, and that you have also beat both CDA Slammers and Arsenal, and you would be right to say that the Blues are low at #5 but the algorithm doesn't know when you took your 5 losses or when you play with your striker from the '07 team but does know all 5 losses are to top 10 teams.

I like the discussion and look forward to a great turkey day tournament! Good luck this weekend!

It is a best fit algorithm similar to the original BCS algorithm with all the same faults and only meant to be fun and for discussion like this. I am guessing you are a Blues parent and suggesting that the recent wins over Strikers and LAGSD are a better indicator than earlier losses to both clubs, and that you have also beat both CDA Slammers and Arsenal, and you would be right to say that the Blues are low at #5 but the algorithm doesn't know when you took your 5 losses or when you play with your striker from the '07 team but does know all 5 losses are to top 10 teams.

I like the discussion and look forward to a great turkey day tournament! Good luck this weekend!

Everyone talks all about development, then when players move within their club (age appropriate), they become "ringers". Look, that striker is an '08, just like your DD and all of ours. Get over it. As for the algorithm, it is what it is. So many variables. But, it's still fun to track and read. Keep up the work. Cheers!

I have absolutely no issues with players that are playing up to come down to their age group. I think that leads to better development for my '08 and our team, what I don't think US soccer had in mind is to shoot off the kick-off, from a goalie kick, or beyond half field, that is not what I think US soccer was going for when they went with the small fields (we have both a center mid and goalie that could score goals that way). I would rather play out of the back and be runner's up in every tournament.

You are still whining about that kickoff. Dude! It didn't result in nothing, other than a turnover to your team. You give Soccerlife grief, but here you are acting like a sore loser. Next time these two teams face off, it could go your way. Who cares? These top teams will face each other over and over and games will go back and forth. Everyone will have their chance at winning and losing. You might want to learn to lose with class. You've got many years ahead of you.

I have absolutely no issues with players that are playing up to come down to their age group. I think that leads to better development for my '08 and our team, what I don't think US soccer had in mind is to shoot off the kick-off, from a goalie kick, or beyond half field, that is not what I think US soccer was going for when they went with the small fields (we have both a center mid and goalie that could score goals that way). I would rather play out of the back and be runner's up in every tournament.

Scoring off a kickoff seems to have a very very low conversion percentage...maybe tactic is to place the ball in your defensive third to allow for immediate high pressure to force a turn over in the area. Very few 08 teams can successfully build from the back with high pressure without turning the ball over. Maybe liken it to the NFL where the team elects to be on the defensive first....any goal derived from this tactic would just be an added bonus...obviously it works against your team or they would not keep doing it.....instead of complaining about the tactic...how about your team actually learns how to stop it!

Scoring off a kickoff seems to have a very very low conversion percentage...maybe tactic is to place the ball in your defensive third to allow for immediate high pressure to force a turn over in the area. Very few 08 teams can successfully build from the back with high pressure without turning the ball over. Maybe liken it to the NFL where the team elects to be on the defensive first....any goal derived from this tactic would just be an added bonus...obviously it works against your team or they would not keep doing it.....instead of complaining about the tactic...how about your team actually learns how to stop it!

Fair points and good feedback! My perspective was not meant to be on one game but what I saw over the summer at the Slammer's Cup, Surf Cup, and Blues Cup. Best (and most difficult) lesson I learned with a coach was the goals we would give up playing out of the back early in the season three years ago for my older daughter's U9 team but that we would be better for it in the long run.

Fair points and good feedback! My perspective was not meant to be on one game but what I saw over the summer at the Slammer's Cup, Surf Cup, and Blues Cup. Best (and most difficult) lesson I learned with a coach was the goals we would give up playing out of the back early in the season three years ago for my older daughter's U9 team but that we would be better for it in the long run.
I completely agree with your coaches perspective on that....sounds like you have a good one!

Back