Surf stacking the deck ?

First of all I understand it’s there tournament so if they want to make favorable schedules so be it.

they seem to have put there teams in favorable group D and made the A and B brackets the toughest ones. Making C not as difficult and an easier route to the final for Surf. They have CvD and AvB.

The issue I have is the semi finals (16 team Bracket) their own tournaments rules are AvD and BvC. So they are not even following there own rules.

Sorry if this offended anyone. New parent with too much time on my side. I also get you need to beat the best to be the best. Just saying :)

Surely if your tournament rules says AVD and BvC in writing on the tournament rules you can’t change it during the tournament to help Surf.

First of all I understand it’s there tournament so if they want to make favorable schedules so be it.

they seem to have put there teams in favorable group D and made the A and B brackets the toughest ones. Making C not as difficult and an easier route to the final for Surf. They have CvD and AvB.

The issue I have is the semi finals (16 team Bracket) their own tournaments rules are AvD and BvC. So they are not even following there own rules.

Sorry if this offended anyone. New parent with too much time on my side. I also get you need to beat the best to be the best. Just saying :)
Everyone is kind of used to it. Surf seems a bit worse about it than other tournaments.

I'm not sure it helps them. If you give yourself a weak bracket, then you're missing a chance to play tough opponents. That's no way to get better.

Everyone is kind of used to it. Surf seems a bit worse about it than other tournaments.

I'm not sure it helps them. If you give yourself a weak bracket, then you're missing a chance to play tough opponents. That's no way to get better.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Eyeballing a few of the flights it looks like they all go A vs B, C vs D for the 4 group pools. It's sloppy since they aren't following the letter of the rules, not nefarious. That being said, pre determined draws like that are lazy, it should be properly seeded, eg 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 using points/tie breakers.

ah young grasshopper...welcome to the Surf world of tournaments. Yes, absolutely, Surf always stacks the divisions in their favor, even up to the oldest ages. They also give their teams preferential times and fields. And if they really think your players are a threat, they will banish them to the ABCD fields, far away from scouts and concessions. There was a time when Surf coaches were paid bonuses for tourney wins. Still?

Just be thankful you are not a Surf parent and don't have to watch your back for similar shenanigans from fellow parents, the coach, or team manager on a weekly basis.

PS - don't fret over a lost tournament; all of my three kids' Surf Cup and other medals are in an untouched box buried somewhere in their respective closets. They had a shelf life of one year, maybe two at the most. Always take a few photos of your kid before the first game, those will be remembered more.

Enjoy the journey, be patient, and remain silent on the sideline.

ah young grasshopper...welcome to the Surf world of tournaments. Yes, absolutely, Surf always stacks the divisions in their favor, even up to the oldest ages. They also give their teams preferential times and fields. And if they really think your players are a threat, they will banish them to the ABCD fields, far away from scouts and concessions. There was a time when Surf coaches were paid bonuses for tourney wins. Still?

Just be thankful you are not a Surf parent and don't have to watch your back for similar shenanigans from fellow parents, the coach, or team manager on a weekly basis.

Homerism/favoritism and shenanigans happen at every tournament, in every club and on every team. It only gets magnified at the bigger clubs due to the perceived higher stakes, where the majority of parents think their kid is the next face of US Soccer.

As for Surf stacking divisions, I'd say look at the money. Tournament entry fees for the Surf branded tournaments (let alone the take from parking, hotel and food) likely exceed their club reg fees and almost certainly do on a net basis. They're not going to kill the goose that laid golden egg for a few trophies for the club, particularly with the way things are structured now.

Based off of the results on the girls side it looks like the deck may have been stacked against them.
Wonder how long the powers that be will allow for such mediocrity.

Back