Surf Cup Accepted Teams

sdb

SILVER ELITE
Based on a quick scan of the hotel reservations tool, so may not be the exact correct list.

Albion Whittaker
Anaheim Surf
Beach Perez
CDA Slammers Salazar
Clarkstown Elite
Crossfire Premiere
Dallas Sting Black
Dallas Texans South
Eagles
Hawaii Rush
Hawaii Surf Academy
Heat FC
IE Surf
LA Galaxy San Diego
LA Galaxy South Bay
Legends
MVLA
Palo Alto SC
Pats IER
PSV Union
Real Colorado National
Real Colorado Olympico
Real Henderson
SDSC Navy
SD Surf Academy Select
SD Surf Academy AB
SD Surf Academy Brookfield
San Jose Earthquakes Pre-DA
San Juan Spirit
Seattle United
Slammers FC Elite
Socal Academy
Socal Blues Holley/Rennie
Strikers North Mirola
West Coast Swanson

I also see the following 3, which would make 38 teams?

Inspirada FC
ISC Gunners
Santa Rosa United

Strong field. Looks like all of the top teams in SoCal, plus some strong teams from other states/NoCal. Assume 20 will be top flight? If so, who are the 20?

My amateurish predictions for Top Flight. Number to the left is the ranking on YouthSoccerRankings.

Anaheim Surf (3)
Albion Whitaker (10)
Beach Perez (16)
Sting Black (2)
Texans South (1)
LAGSB (9)
Legends (4)
Blues (17)
Surf (7)
San Juan (5)
Slammers Elite (18)
Clarkstown Elite (40)
Surf Hawaii (8)
Real Colorado (22)
SoCal Academy (30)
Strikers Mirola (27)

Im sure there are a couple of other teams that have changed names but if they go to 16, this could be the top teams that get in. I would only say that West Coast is in the gray area but they are a very good team that is going to surprise a lot of teams this season. Im sure Ive missed a couple and thats why I only picked 16.

Let the debate begin!

One addition. If you look back at the distribution of SoCal vs. Out of State, it tends to be pretty close to 50/50 and from other age groups even slighted more to Out of State teams. But, in general, pretty close to 50/50. Given that, my distribution above is 10 SoCal and 6 Out of State. This would lend one to believe that they may go to 5 brackets like they did with the U12s last year with Winners advancing and 3 wild cards.

Just had to share that random thought!

My amateurish predictions for Top Flight. Number to the left is the ranking on YouthSoccerRankings.

Anaheim Surf (3)
Albion Whitaker (10)
Beach Perez (16)
Sting Black (2)
Texans South (1)
LAGSB (9)
Legends (4)
Blues (17)
Surf (7)
San Juan (5)
Slammers Elite (18)
Clarkstown Elite (40)
Surf Hawaii (8)
Real Colorado (22)
SoCal Academy (30)
Strikers Mirola (27)

Im sure there are a couple of other teams that have changed names but if they go to 16, this could be the top teams that get in. I would only say that West Coast is in the gray area but they are a very good team that is going to surprise a lot of teams this season. Im sure Ive missed a couple and thats why I only picked 16.

Let the debate begin!
Seems like a pretty good list. I think MVLA gets in top flight. There are going to be some really, really good teams who don't make it out of pool play.

I'm sure Slammers Elite is a good team, but they're a brand new team and for some reason are getting credited with PA's OC Strikers wins from last year. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

Really looking forward to this tournament.

I'm sure Slammers Elite is a good team, but they're a brand new team and for some reason are getting credited with PA's OC Strikers wins from last year. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.

Really looking forward to this tournament.
There are a few reasons why Slammers Elite are being credited with OCS record. Often times because there is a specific number of players from the original team to justify the continued tracking of that team despite the addition of new players or players/team no longer affiliated with the previous club by say GotSoccer. Even YSR has also done the same thing. This also happens with in clubs. When the age changed last year our G06 Elite 1 team was tracked under the Elite 2 record because most of the G06 Elite 1 team was filled with 05's.

There are a few reasons why Slammers Elite are being credited with OCS record. Often times because there is a specific number of players from the original team to justify the continued tracking of that team despite the addition of new players or players/team no longer affiliated with the previous club by say GotSoccer. Even YSR has also done the same thing. This also happens with in clubs. When the age changed last year our G06 Elite 1 team was tracked under the Elite 2 record because most of the G06 Elite 1 team was filled with 05's.
And yes this can be confusing. But I think its done to have some kind of history to understand a team.

I agree and think they are probably borderline if only 16 teams get in top flight. I know it was only one game, they might have had guests, Beach might have been missing players, etc, etc, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt simply based on their 2-2 tie vs. Beach during Legends tourney (they were up 2-0 at one point and Beach is really good). I also agree with the comment on West Coast being borderline...they play a great style and will get better as the year progresses...they could get into top flight.

Last year Hawaii Rush was talented and had a good run, so I would expect them to be in the top flight assuming they progressed over the course of the year.

What will be 'interesting' is some of the clubs that use 06's playing up at other tourneys(Blues, Beach, Slammers for example) won't have that luxury here as those clubs are all represented in the 05 division. Those are all still good teams but they will definitely miss those 'stars'.

What will be 'interesting' is some of the clubs that use 06's playing up at other tourneys(Blues, Beach, Slammers for example) won't have that luxury here as those clubs are all represented in the 05 division. Those are all still good teams but they will definitely miss those 'stars'.
This is very true and could be applied to our 05 and 06 teams. As we have an 06 playing up.

Agreed...but Beach made its run at Man City without any guests.

With 42 teams and guaranteed 4 games for all teams, it should be interesting to find out how they work in the schedule. I wonder if they will use the same format as Manchester City for 16 team brackets, 3 games Saturday/Sunday and a guaranteed Monday game (so families have to stay the full tournament). Though many teams were playing meaningless consolation games on Monday, it made for a fun weekend where either Saturday or Sunday was a short soccer day and long vacation fun day for a team. Does anyone know the format and if Monday is guaranteed?

As many mentioned, it will be a great tournament!

With 42 teams and guaranteed 4 games for all teams, it should be interesting to find out how they work in the schedule. I wonder if they will use the same format as Manchester City for 16 team brackets, 3 games Saturday/Sunday and a guaranteed Monday game (so families have to stay the full tournament). Though many teams were playing meaningless consolation games on Monday, it made for a fun weekend where either Saturday or Sunday was a short soccer day and long vacation fun day for a team. Does anyone know the format and if Monday is guaranteed?

As many mentioned, it will be a great tournament!
With all these teams I bet games will be scheduled with big time gaps in between.

What does everyone you think the flights and brackets will look like? How do you divide up 42 teams?

Back