Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Solar Chelsea Red

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Beach

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Force

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
You need to look at what the USWNT is doing now. You said it your self, Dunn and Pugh scored today and are in the national team. They are not from SoCal. The USWNT is not recruiting the biggest and the fast ones. The are recruiting the more tecnichal and creative. Are they recruiting anymore Big and fast women like Alex Morgan? No. We need to look into the future and create more technical and creative players.

Did you take a look at the 2007 girls? Socal heavy Semis

The girls that scored today for the USWNT, Dunn (5'1) and Pugh (5'4) are fast...quick...BUT NOT "big"...neither girl is from Socal. Morgan is...she is listed at 5'7... definitely fast..."big"?....idk?

The gloom and doom mood for Socal (from blast and living in the past) is unwarranted. The USWNT is not dominated by Socal girls, so not sure what your point is?

Moreover, as a soccer culture, USA shouldn't be looking backwards at what we were, but looking to improve on what we were and what we are..."big and fast" is what we were and are. Speed/quickness kills regardless! Big doesn't necessarily translate, especially in soccer. The great thing about soccer is that greatness is not limited to one mold (which blast and living in the past subscribes too). Some of the girls on the Dallas Sting have to be as tall/big as Dunn and Pugh right now at age 10...what does that mean? How big were Pugh and Dunn at age 10? Pugh is 18...where will the crop of 2006s be in 8-9 years?

Gloom and doom? The Socal girls are 9-10 right now, really?
That is a neat trick that you tried to pull on the height but you know and I know that it only takes a second to rip it down

USWNT Olympic Roster by height. 18 woman roster
3- 5'9
2- 5'8
7- 5'7
2- 5'6
1- 5'5
2- 5'4
1- 5'1

avg height of a female in the U.S is 5'4" Average Height of USWNT is 5'7

The two sub 5'5 players that you mentioned happen to be the two fastest players on the team. So you better be better taller than average or you better be really damn fast....at least for now.

5 elements - big, fast, physical, technical and tactical.

There are always a few exceptions to the rule and being really high on one of the elements might allow you to get a pass on the other 4.

Look, all I'm saying is that I would like to see more technical and creative players. Specially up on top. The height is going to change again. It's like a pendulum, they go one way and then they go the other way. It is call the beautiful game for a reason. I just would like to see more beautiful, incredible and unbelivevable goals at any age.

I agree no big deal, but I am sorry that is not what happened. I do want to be clear a Tx parent never used foul language at all. A striker parent started the situation by trying to argue with a SB parent who was talking to the ref. The SB parent replied to striker parent "We can't stop each other from talking to the refs. I respect your right to contest calls." Striker parent continued to try to argue the call with Sting parent. Ref blows whistle for Halftime, SB parent walks over to striker parent, extends hand and says "do not want trouble with CA teams, we have good relationships with many CA teams". Striker parent replies, "you mean nothing to me". At that point, parents from both sides come over quickly and gives the appearance that is was more than it was. SB parent repeatedly says "we do not want any trouble". Then a striker parent comes over a says come on kids move down as you don't need to hear this....not sure what "this" was, but I was there and heard it all. Neither side to my knowledge used profanity. Situation quickly died down. Marshals show up later. SB parents spoke to the refs after the game and the refs said they called the marshals.

In the end, it really was not nearly as big of a deal as it was made out. But I do want to be clear SB parent did not start it and tried to resolve the issue...the striker parent never reciprocated.

To be clear, the above-mentioned "Striker parent" (if a Striker parent at all) was NOT a parent from the Striker 06 team playing against SB. The parents of the 06 players were busy paying attention to a well-played game by both teams. All respect due to both parent benches, regardless of the altercation. No one even noticed a thing until field marshals rolled up. So, whatever it was...it was nothing.

The two sub 5'5 players that you mentioned happen to be the two fastest players on the team. So you better be better taller than average or you better be really damn fast....at least for now.

5 elements - big, fast, physical, technical and tactical.

There are always a few exceptions to the rule and being really high on one of the elements might allow you to get a pass on the other 4.

Your "5 elements" are flawed.

Speed kills... agree
Physicality is essential, soccer is a contact sport... agree
Technical skill separated players at all levels... agree
Tactical awareness or soccer IQ is what enables players to find greatness... agree

But "big"?...this element is incorrect.

Your statement that a major shift in Socal soccer, as evidenced by Sting's championship this weekend is off target.

Your emphasis on big is flawed.

"Big" is a major factor in youth sports all around, because strength, height (taller), and weight (heavier) go into defining "big". However, as players mature into adults, "big", specifically in soccer becomes less of a factor.

...how do you define "big", as it is included in your argument as the 5 essential elements for success?

How do you reconcile the fact that most of the top 5-10 world class international soccer players are not "big" by any definition? Make any list you want of 5-10...I would argue that most players in this top 10 list of world class players cannot be defined as "big"....we can start with Messi and go from there...

This whole discourse began as a result of the fact, that by any definition of "big", the Dallas Sting team is bigger than any other team in this year's 2006 group. Height and weight wise. All you need to do is line them up against any other team out there and you see They are "big". A few girls were almost as "big" as the female coach that accompanied them.

Your argument, that since the Dallas Sting is "big", and it, along with their speed are the major factors in their success, and their win at Surf Cup and victory over several Socal teams marks a shift in girls US youth Soccer, and Socal soccer, somehow is ridiculous! That this victory by Sting signals the demise of Socal girls soccer is crazy!

They are good...they are champions of both the Super Copa and Surf Cup. They are legit. However, this is youth soccer, the girls are 9-10, their development along a continuum in the next 8-10 years will be more of a factor in future success than size.

Dunn, who scored a goal tonight for the USWNT...is shorter (and probably lighter) than some of the girls on that Dallas Sting team...

No shift...just one great team of Dallas girls! The end of the world for Socal soccer is not here...stop with dooms day, and crazy rant...out and done!

Speed kills... agree
Tactical awareness or soccer IQ is what enables players to find greatness... agree

Your statement that a major shift in Socal soccer, as evidenced by Sting's championship this weekend is off target.

"Big" is a major factor in youth sports all around, because strength, height (taller), and weight (heavier) go into defining "big". However, as players mature into adults, "big", specifically in soccer becomes less of a factor.

...how do you define "big", as it is included in your argument as the 5 essential elements for success?

How do you reconcile the fact that most of the top 5-10 world class international soccer players are not "big" by any definition? Make any list you want of 5-10...I would argue that most players in this top 10 list of world class players cannot be defined as "big"....we can start with Messi and go from there...

This whole discourse began as a result of the fact, that by any definition of "big", the Dallas Sting team is bigger than any other team in this year's 2006 group. Height and weight wise. All you need to do is line them up against any other team out there and you see They are "big". A few girls were almost as "big" as the female coach that accompanied them.

Your argument, that since the Dallas Sting is "big", and it, along with their speed are the major factors in their success, and their win at Surf Cup and victory over several Socal teams marks a shift in girls US youth Soccer, and Socal soccer, somehow is ridiculous! That this victory by Sting signals the demise of Socal girls soccer is crazy!

They are good...they are champions of both the Super Copa and Surf Cup. They are legit. However, this is youth soccer, the girls are 9-10, their development along a continuum in the next 8-10 years will be more of a factor in future success than size.

Dunn, who scored a goal tonight for the USWNT...is shorter (and probably lighter) than some of the girls on that Dallas Sting team...

No shift...just one great team of Dallas girls! The end of the world for Socal soccer is not here...stop with dooms day, and crazy rant...out and done!
I think this might be the biggest piece of malarkey that I've ever seen. You may as well say what you are implying. You are borderline insulting young ladies at this point, not that they would or should ever hear it. There are 5 elements to be stressed. You have honed in on one of them and tip toed up to the line...I wonder why. I didn't see the Sting Black team play so I can't tell you if they are the biggest but gleaning comments from all the post it is clear that they showcased all 5 elements this week though back handedly only been given credit for a couple by some (not all).

What I find most interesting is that when a team of their gifts wins ironically it is because of the genetic gifts not the time spent honing their crafts and being technically and tactically sound. It is a beautiful game when smaller more vertically challenged teams win by holding jersey and throwing whatever weight they can around. But it is "not creative" when the taller, faster, more technical team one touches, plays to the keeper, combines out of the back and forces teams to play 4 defenders and a holding mid in a 9v9 game.

I erred if I implied that here lies the demise of Socal soccer. It is not the demise of Socal soccer as the other age groups are turning their perverbial backs on this age group because somehow the 06s have forgotten how to build powerhouse teams like the rest of the ages. 5 elements, not 4. #Consolidate

I think this might be the biggest piece of malarkey that I've ever seen. You may as well say what you are implying. You are borderline insulting young ladies at this point, not that they would or should ever hear it. There are 5 elements to be stressed. You have honed in on one of them and tip toed up to the line...I wonder why. I didn't see the Sting Black team play so I can't tell you if they are the biggest but gleaning comments from all the post it is clear that they showcased all 5 elements this week though back handedly only been given credit for a couple by some (not all).

What I find most interesting is that when a team of their gifts wins ironically it is because of the genetic gifts not the time spent honing their crafts and being technically and tactically sound. It is a beautiful game when smaller more vertically challenged teams win by holding jersey and throwing whatever weight they can around. But it is "not creative" when the taller, faster, more technical team one touches, plays to the keeper, combines out of the back and forces teams to play 4 defenders and a holding mid in a 9v9 game.

I erred if I implied that here lies the demise of Socal soccer. It is not the demise of Socal soccer as the other age groups are turning their perverbial backs on this age group because somehow the 06s have forgotten how to build powerhouse teams like the rest of the ages. 5 elements, not 4. #Consolidate

Wow...I really wanted to walk away from this, you, and your gross ignorance! And will after this...

You didn't see Sting play? WTF! Why, or better yet how are you even commenting on this thread which you began with your "big and fast" BS, with regards to Sting, beyond ignorance!

Pure joker!

I don't know what you are talking about! I have clearly given Sting their due respect, for being the Best team I've seen all year long. I will leave it up to those who have actually seen this team play to ponder as to what makes them so good, unlike the likes of jokers, like you, who rant about teams and players they havent even seen play. Wow!

I never hinted they win because they are big girls, rather it is one of many facts that can be said about this good team. I don't believe there is one factor that enables them to play well together but rather a multitude of factors...but you would have to watch them to know... something you admittedly haven't done. Wow again!

I Never once said anything about any particular style of play being more creative, or "better". Nor did I knock bigger, smaller, or any other types of players...what I did say is that soccer is a game that is not beholden by style or size or any one factor, and this is what makes it great. It is that there is not one mold which all players must adhere to, rather that was your argument...this 5 elements deal...which is flawed...and you never responded to "size" not being a true element of soccer at the world class level.

In ALL youth sports, size is a major factor in success, not just soccer. However, in international world class soccer size is not this essential element you want it to be. Dodge it again!

"Powerhouse teams?" What a joker! Who are you...? Seriously...?

There were three older girls who got broken legs that I know of at Surf Cup. Being ''aggressive'' does not mean push and tackle your opponent to the ground. It's not football. The physical part of the game should be clean. The bigger child might have an advantage at an early age. This advantage will disappear in three to four years. I'm tired of watching, for the most part, the kick and run ideology that the big clubs teach the children at this age.

You know that all the clubs, in their own tournamets, put their teams in weak brackets so when their team plays in the quarter finals, semi finals and finals are well rested. In this tournament Surf won only one age group. When the age group changed to regular year from school year all the clubs starting recruiting kids who were born in Jan. Feb, and March. Why? Because they want the oldest, biggest and fastest. Why? To win trophys to promote their clubs. The clubs should develop their players at an early age. Not all clubs do this kick and run. The top ones do at this age. By me stating being creative, I mean for the players to be taught to be more technical than being more physical. I'm out.

Speed kills... agree

A lot has been said about the Physical play and size of Sting Black. I just want to share few observations:
•Legends was the biggest team in the tourney.
-Their backline in particular Center Back are huge.
-The Legends vs Sting game was officiated like a U16 game. The refs let them play. The Legends CB and the Sting Forward went at it.
-Sting won but they were not the more physical team.
•Conversely, Albion is a young 06 team and is small.
-Even though the 3-0 scored does not reflect it, Albion played a great game against Sting.
-The refs officiated the game like a U11 game. Meaning the refs did not allow Sting huge size advantage to push Albion around.
•Similarly, I watched Solar Red v Beach game.
-The two teams were the same size.
-The game was extremely physical & the refs let them play.

Summary
-Refs ensure the size disparity is not a physical advantage at this age is level.
-The size/Big comments of Sting Black are becoming exaggerated...there were other big & bigger teams in the 06 group.
-Last, soccer is a physical game and every game I saw was physical.

After a week offline because I was so upset over this NTX dominance, I finally came back online and think I might just have to agree with all this wonderful NTX parents (or, are they parents? Or, are they people who just see the beauty in 06 NTX tactical and skillful soccer?). No sarcasm there, I promise!!!

At the end of the day, at this point, NTX has won this age group the last two years. But, let's all be honest, this is a new age group. Most teams, at least in SoCal, are completely new. The majority of 06 teams have a minority (some a large minority) from last years U10 squads. That doesn't mean much other than we all have a lot of upside.

While I may not have liked the aesthetic of some of the teams, it did yield results. But, that will always be the case. Great job SB, you are Surf Cup Champions. Now, let's close out this thread and start focusing on just a SoCal discussion of what comes next.

After a week offline because I was so upset over this NTX dominance, I finally came back online and think I might just have to agree with all this wonderful NTX parents (or, are they parents? Or, are they people who just see the beauty in 06 NTX tactical and skillful soccer?). No sarcasm there, I promise!!!

At the end of the day, at this point, NTX has won this age group the last two years. But, let's all be honest, this is a new age group. Most teams, at least in SoCal, are completely new. The majority of 06 teams have a minority (some a large minority) from last years U10 squads. That doesn't mean much other than we all have a lot of upside.

While I may not have liked the aesthetic of some of the teams, it did yield results. But, that will always be the case. Great job SB, you are Surf Cup Champions. Now, let's close out this thread and start focusing on just a SoCal discussion of what comes next.
3SL you are like the white tiger unexpectedly emerging from the dense jungle...I thought you went extinct.

Patience young warrior, patience. I've been looking for a NTX sensei to train me in the arts of forum etiquette. I aspire for the humility, grace and insight that comes from the new center of the 06 soccer universe. Soon enough, 3SL will be back and at a new level. Till then, I'm going to hang over at NTX forum and continue to absorb greatness.

Patience young warrior, patience. I've been looking for a NTX sensei to train me in the arts of forum etiquette. I aspire for the humility, grace and insight that comes from the new center of the 06 soccer universe. Soon enough, 3SL will be back and at a new level. Till then, I'm going to hang over at NTX forum and continue to absorb greatness.

Lots of humility :( I think most NTX posters were appreciative of the Cali play and agreed that Cali and it's teams set the bar for excellent play. We enjoy getting to play such great competition and challenging our teams to be better. Sting just has a really outstanding team from top to bottom.

We welcome y'all to the Great State of Texas anytime. See ya next year!

Back