Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Solar Chelsea Red

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Beach

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Force

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Where is some "objective" thoughts from Tech?

Thoughts on...
Final 4 teams? All 4 semifinalist from two brackets?
Champs?
Socal 2006 girls?
Who opened eyes?
What do we know now about this age group with one month left in the Tournament season?
Excited to think that if my DD ever drops down to play her true 06 age that there is no shortage of talent and competition as was evident at Surf Cup this year.

Observations:
Strikers looked very strong and if slotted in one of the other Quarter-Finals, probably makes the Semi-Finals, but they ran into Sting just like everyone else did.

San Juan, very impressed with their squad and team play. Saw them play Strikers in a game where Strikers threw everything at them to throw them off and San Juan remained true to form.

Galaxy continues to play some of the best soccer out there, but has a couple of weaknesses that will get stronger over the course of the season. Teams took advantage and Galaxy fell short of expectations.

All seemed quiet on the Surf front, they took care of business throughout the tournament and I think their loss to Sting put a damper on what was in fact a great run for them.

Legends is really starting to come together and looks to be the favorite for SCDSL - North this season.

Both Anaheim Surf and Beach - LB took big steps forward in the 06 age group and are no longer just dark-horses but contenders.

Didn't catch any of Blues Holley's games but they had a sub-par performance with results.

Blues - Rennie / Mulligan had a tough group but will still be a team to watch out for this season.

Albion is another team that is quietly taking care of business even after player movement and age change.

Saw Sting play a couple of times and whatever you want to call it; big, strong, fast, technical, conditioned, ahead of the curve, etc. they are the real deal right now and to the victor goes the spoils. Their girls won and in the name of fun / don't take ourselves so seriously manner that this forum allows us, their posters have every right to crow.

Congrats Sting! and congratulations to all the girls who were having fun and working hard this weekend playing the beautiful game.

Last edited:
SoCal soccer is amazing and I wish Texas teams had the opportunity to play against the BEST every weekend. Grateful our girls had the chance to play in the event. Let's continue to raise the bar parents - for our girls and ourselves!

Again...this is conduct unbecoming of a SoCal parent. You are advocating sticking with a plan that isn't in line with what makes SoCal soccer great. SoCal soccer is big, fast, physical, tactical and technical. The best of SoCal age groups know that all 5 elements consistently across top teams is why more TROPHIES rest in SoCal than any other region. Stop crying and keep the little parents with their little kids out of the big leagues. The best of SoCal can one touch when we need to and run around or through when we have to. Lets get back to SoCal soccer. Take a view into 2-5 age groups up. SoCal hasn't had the problem (until this 06 age group, mind you) of being consistently run by, run through and passed around by an out of state team. SoCal doesn't use the archaic passive aggressive weakling "we play for development not trophies" argument. If you typed what you typed after getting your butts whooped 2 years in a row in any of the older forums more SoCal parents would ban you from speaking. You are making the SoCal parents look bad in front of company. Surf Cup is entered to Win Trophies...even at 10 years old. SoCal (sans the '06 age group) never thinks or says "well...we were more creative than them.....right gang?" SoCal needs consolidation in order to weed out cancerous ideology like you are proporting. Stop it, now. Consolidate because Iron sharpens Iron and clearly there is too much clay mixed in with Iron on the current teams. You my friend appear to be part of the clay clan.

#CONSOLIDATE
#MoreIronLessClay

I like this guy!

Conduct unbecoming? I am questioning your purpose. You are asking SoCal to put a team together to play Texas.. That sounds very bitter and unbecoming. I am suggesting making an effort to try the new changes by US Soccer. You mention trophies I do not. Nor am I complaining, but I disagree with most of your comments in this post. We need more technical and tactical play. There is not enough of it. It needs to go further.
No, no, no. Stop it. Tell us the truth. You are a transplant aren't you!?! You were sent to spread this whee bitty soccer message of don't be big, fast, physical, technical and tactical. "...effort to try the new changes by US Soccer" US Soccer has been infiltrated by people who don't like the way things were because their kids would never have a chance if things didn't change. Womens soccer / US WNT soccer has been doing just fine with its heavy dose of Californians. They should rename it SoCal soccer as the rosters consistently show which region is producing. To go in and attempt to change it is to then say that SoCal's 5-element model is wrong yet the gold medals and world cup titles say differently. You are a mole because now you want to change SoCal soccer into a 2-element model (technical, tactical) for the whee bitty people. #Consolidate and weed out the whee bitties that don't want to compete anymore. SoCal parents be forewarned. The shift that is occurring in SoCal 06 soccer can be stopped, must be stopped. Let us return to the roots. Find'em big and fast and teach'em. We must unite to fight a greater evil....the extinction of our dominance over the world has begun with SoCal 06 parents.

#DoSomething
#MakeSoCalGreatAgain

Last edited:
No, no, no. Stop it. Tell us the truth. You are a transplant aren't you!?! You were sent to spread this whee bitty soccer message of don't be big, fast, physical, technical and tactical. "...effort to try the new changes by US Soccer" US Soccer has been infiltrated by people who don't like the way things were because their kids would never have a chance if things didn't change. Womens soccer / US WNT soccer has been doing just fine with its heavy dose of Californians. They should rename it SoCal soccer as the rosters consistently show which region is producing. To go in and attempt to change it is to then say that SoCal's 5-element model is wrong yet the gold medals and world cup titles say differently. You are a mole because now you want to change SoCal soccer into a 2-element model (technical, tactical) for the whee bitty people. #Consolidate and weed out the whee bitties that don't want to compete anymore. SoCal parents be forewarned. The shift that is occurring in SoCal 06 soccer can be stopped mus be stopped. Let us return to the roots. Find'me big and fast and teach'em. We must unite to fight a greater evil....the extension of our dominance over the world has begun with SoCal 06 parents.

#DoSomething
#MakeSoCalGreatAgain
I like that you said teach them. There needs to be more of that. You assume so much and interject tangents. And no not a transplant born and raised in SoCal.

No, no, no. Stop it. Tell us the truth. You are a transplant aren't you!?! You were sent to spread this whee bitty soccer message of don't be big, fast, physical, technical and tactical. "...effort to try the new changes by US Soccer" US Soccer has been infiltrated by people who don't like the way things were because their kids would never have a chance if things didn't change. Womens soccer / US WNT soccer has been doing just fine with its heavy dose of Californians. They should rename it SoCal soccer as the rosters consistently show which region is producing. To go in and attempt to change it is to then say that SoCal's 5-element model is wrong yet the gold medals and world cup titles say differently. You are a mole because now you want to change SoCal soccer into a 2-element model (technical, tactical) for the whee bitty people. #Consolidate and weed out the whee bitties that don't want to compete anymore. SoCal parents be forewarned. The shift that is occurring in SoCal 06 soccer can be stopped mus be stopped. Let us return to the roots. Find'me big and fast and teach'em. We must unite to fight a greater evil....the extension of our dominance over the world has begun with SoCal 06 parents.

#DoSomething
#MakeSoCalGreatAgain

This is a Sting parent who is trying to make fun of SoCal. Keep boasting after the fact, at least the Chelsea Red parents boasted on this thread before they played any game and lost two. Anyway, if my girl plays 06 next year I will make sure to remind you about this.
Nothing funnier than a boasting parent of a 10 year old. Probably s/he has being a perennial loser, and takes over what the kid accomplishes. Karma can be brutal.

I like that you said teach them. There needs to be more of that. You assume so much and interject tangents. And no not a transplant born and raised in SoCal.
Please turn in your drivers license and leave immediately. Yes we must teach them but only after we have carefully selected them. We need to return to our initial selection process. I don't care how long or how many times that you teach a tortoise to keep his head down when coming out of the blocks....he still won't grow up to be a hare.

This is a Sting parent who is trying to make fun of SoCal. Keep boasting after the fact, at least the Chelsea Red parents boasted on this thread before they played any game and lost two. Anyway, if my girl plays 06 next year I will make sure to remind you about this.
Nothing funnier than a boasting parent of a 10 year old. Probably s/he has being a perennial loser, and takes over what the kid accomplishes. Karma can be brutal.
Relax Dr. Phil. I'm actually not a Sting Black parent at all but I do recognize a shift when I see one and I wanted to address the issue at hand with a little sarcasm. You know sarcasm is the truth with a smile right?

Please turn in your drivers license and leave immediately. Yes we must teach them but only after we have carefully selected them. We need to return to our initial selection process. I don't care how long or how many times that you teach a tortoise to keep his head down when coming out of the blocks....he still won't grow up to be a hare.
I am not sure why you keep redirecting your responses from my original question.

I doubt there was a SoCal coach or parent who lost of minute of sleep last night over the Dallas Sting winning Surf Cup. Kudos to Sting for the accomplishment. Giving up 1 goal over the entire tournament speaks volumes about the team's talent and ability to get results. However they did it, they got it done.

Aside from Sting, what happened to the rest of Texas at Surf Cup?

With regards to North Texas soccer vs. SoCal soccer, this is a fun, made for the board trolls rivalry. Personally, I'm excited that up that my kid gets to play the highest level soccer in the country week in and week out here in SoCal. Her team plays Galaxy, Legends, Beach, Strikers, Blues, Slammers and Surf (SD and Anaheim) every week throughout the year, not just once a year at Surf Cup. All of these teams have their own style of play and bring different levels of technical skill, physicality, speed and tactics to the table. Over the long term, I think that the health of SoCal soccer in the 2006 age group is in great shape.

One of my favorite parts of Surf Cup was watching my daughter bond with her teammates in the pool and BBQ-ing with a bunch of dads that I am just getting to know better. As the famous mountain climber Alex Lowe once said, the best climber is the one having the most fun. I try to apply that philosophy to my kids soccer experience. Sometimes I fail at that, but I'll keep trying.

I doubt there was a SoCal coach or parent who lost of minute of sleep last night over the Dallas Sting winning Surf Cup. Kudos to Sting for the accomplishment. Giving up 1 goal over the entire tournament speaks volumes about the team's talent and ability to get results. However they did it, they got it done.

Aside from Sting, what happened to the rest of Texas at Surf Cup?

With regards to North Texas soccer vs. SoCal soccer, this is a fun, made for the board trolls rivalry. Personally, I'm excited that up that my kid gets to play the highest level soccer in the country week in and week out here in SoCal. Her team plays Galaxy, Legends, Beach, Strikers, Blues, Slammers and Surf (SD and Anaheim) every week throughout the year, not just once a year at Surf Cup. All of these teams have their own style of play and bring different levels of technical skill, physicality, speed and tactics to the table. Over the long term, I think that the health of SoCal soccer in the 2006 age group is in great shape.

One of my favorite parts of Surf Cup was watching my daughter bond with her teammates in the pool and BBQ-ing with a bunch of dads that I am just getting to know better. As the famous mountain climber Alex Lowe once said, the best climber is the one having the most fun. I try to apply that philosophy to my kids soccer experience. Sometimes I fail at that, but I'll keep trying.

Found the answer to my question on the North Texas soccer board:

"There were 9 teams from NTX that went to Surf Cup last weekend. 1 team won the whole thing (Congrats Sting Black 06!), 1 team lost in the Semi Finals (Congrats Solar Chelsea 03) and 1 team lost in the Quarter Finals (Congrats SRSA 07). The other 6 teams could not get out of their brackets.
icon_eek.gif

I love your optimism Skeets but those results do not say anything about NTX development. I would some it up as a pretty poor showing for NTX. Only 3 of 9 teams made it out of their brackets!!! As much as I love it for those 3 that advanced and especially for Sting Black 06 for winning, that was not a good weekend for NTX soccer."

I do recognize a shift when I see one and I wanted to address the issue at hand with a little sarcasm. You know sarcasm is the truth with a smile right?

If that is what sarcasm is, then what is bitter ignorance? It's no clear what truth you speak of?

Shift? What shift do you with YOUR expertise see?

Did you even see Sting play? They are one team. A handful of girls...their physicality and play speak for itself. If you watched them play, really watched them, then you can appreciate them for what they are, give them their due respect and leave it at that.

It seems you are bitter because they played "your game" better than your "Socal" team (whichever that is) and now your crying about it.

You make references to "itty bitty people", itty bitty people like Messi? or a handful of the best players in the world who are itty bitty?

I'm sure this will feed your rant...so feast!

Found the answer to my question on the North Texas soccer board:

"There were 9 teams from NTX that went to Surf Cup last weekend. 1 team won the whole thing (Congrats Sting Black 06!), 1 team lost in the Semi Finals (Congrats Solar Chelsea 03) and 1 team lost in the Quarter Finals (Congrats SRSA 07). The other 6 teams could not get out of their brackets.
icon_eek.gif

I love your optimism Skeets but those results do not say anything about NTX development. I would some it up as a pretty poor showing for NTX. Only 3 of 9 teams made it out of their brackets!!! As much as I love it for those 3 that advanced and especially for Sting Black 06 for winning, that was not a good weekend for NTX soccer."
I "think" that I agree with you. Here is what excel says

- 92 teams in the tournament
- SoCal (50, 54%), NorCal (18, 20%), TX (9, 10%)
- 5 champions crowned
- SoCal (3, 80%), NorCal(1, 20%), TX (1, 20%)
- 40 teams made it out of bracket play (%) of states teams entering the tournament
- SoCal (29, 58%), NorCal (4, 22%), TX (3, 33%)

So Texas made up 10% of the teams but only took home 20% of the Trophies!?! SoCal still held serve on their home court. o_O

If that is what sarcasm is, then what is bitter ignorance? It's no clear what truth you speak of?

Shift? What shift do you with YOUR expertise see?

Did you even see Sting play? They are one team. A handful of girls...their physicality and play speak for itself. If you watched them play, really watched them, then you can appreciate them for what they are, give them their due respect and leave it at that.

It seems you are bitter because they played "your game" better than your "Socal" team (whichever that is) and now your crying about it.

You make references to "itty bitty people", itty bitty people like Messi? or a handful of the best players in the world who are itty bitty?

I'm sure this will feed your rant...so feast!
Dabizness. The shift is pretty clear. Two years in a row a Texas team has come to Surf cup and won this age group. It was a completely different team this time!!! Okay, maybe it is not a shift. Maybe it is just an anomaly in this '06 age group.

With a name like "Dabizness" I would hope you could appreciate that SoCal '06 age group needs to give a little more of Dabizness instead of taking it.

Last edited:
Dabizness. The shift is pretty clear. Two years in a row a Texas team has come to Surf cup and won this age group. It was a completely different team this time!!! Okay, maybe it is not a shift. Maybe it is just an anomaly in this '06 age group.

With a name like "Dabizness" I would hope you could appreciate that SoCal '06 age group needs to give a little more of Dabizness instead of taking it.

Skeets? Is that you under a different name? Say it isn't so "T".

I agree. I would like to see more teams play technically and creatively. The biggest and fastest can only get a team so far.

Not to play Texas per se. I see what has occurred here in the last 2 years as foreshadowing of years to come if something doesn't change.

Did you take a look at the 2007 girls? Socal heavy Semis

I agree. I would like to see more teams play technically and creatively. The biggest and fastest can only get a team so far.

The girls that scored today for the USWNT, Dunn (5'1) and Pugh (5'4) are fast...quick...BUT NOT "big"...neither girl is from Socal. Morgan is...she is listed at 5'7... definitely fast..."big"?....idk?

The gloom and doom mood for Socal (from blast and living in the past) is unwarranted. The USWNT is not dominated by Socal girls, so not sure what your point is?

Moreover, as a soccer culture, USA shouldn't be looking backwards at what we were, but looking to improve on what we were and what we are..."big and fast" is what we were and are. Speed/quickness kills regardless! Big doesn't necessarily translate, especially in soccer. The great thing about soccer is that greatness is not limited to one mold (which blast and living in the past subscribes too). Some of the girls on the Dallas Sting have to be as tall/big as Dunn and Pugh right now at age 10...what does that mean? How big were Pugh and Dunn at age 10? Pugh is 18...where will the crop of 2006s be in 8-9 years?

Gloom and doom? The Socal girls are 9-10 right now, really?

Back