Sun in the eyes?

What do you all do when your keeper is facing the sun and causing them to squint/shade his or her eyes?

I know it’s daylight and things get bright, but this weekend we had an early-ish game where the angle of the field and the angle of the sun were just brutal on one end of the field.

Tips and tricks?

Win the coin flip. If you don’t, then the only thing to do is extend one hand out and cover up the sun. Your keeper can see everything else around their hand. That’s how baseball players catch fly balls in the outfield.
Winning the coin flip does help. Similar to the wind and choosing if you want the wind at your back in the first half or second half. I've seen my daughter use her hand to shield the sun, never complained after the game. I think the wall on free kicks still bothers her more.

Sports sunglasses and if the referee asks say they are prescription. By sports sunglasses I mean like wrap around Oakley type. I see players with these types of sunglasses on the field all the time and I never question it. I am not sure I would be okay with Ray Ban type of sunglasses, but if they told me the sunglasses were prescription I would not ask to see a prescription or ask to look through them.

What do you all do when your keeper is facing the sun and causing them to squint/shade his or her eyes?

I know it’s daylight and things get bright, but this weekend we had an early-ish game where the angle of the field and the angle of the sun were just brutal on one end of the field.

Tips and tricks?
A hat? Or are you looking for something more exotic?

He did the hand over the eyes thing, and we will definitely have to think ahead at the coin toss time. The eye black sounds good, too.

In my mind, I was envisioning something like this . He won’t even wear head protection though so doubtful he’d ever wear anything non-uniform.

upload_2018-11-5_21-11-44.jpeg

My G03 GK wears the Oakley Half Jacket 2.o if I'm not mistaken. Not home right now to double check. Light as a feather. She has the transitional lenses so she can wear them at night or during the day which definitely helps during those bright sunny days. There are still times when I see her shield her eyes a bit so while they do help..sometimes you can't change the angle of the sun until it moves along. It's usually just on corner kicks that I notice it the most. Plus I like with the Oakleys they have unparalleld impact protection. She's taken a few good shots to the face from either 1 v 1 collisions or a striker going in 100% to try and make the shot and she ends up getting a face full of cleat instead. It's happened more than a few times and I'm glad the glasses were there to take the brunt of it. My .02

Soft brim hat (like cyclists wear).
Englands-Joe-Hart-throws-the-ball-out.jpg

I should read the rules first! I had no idea a soft hat would be allowed. I may get one for him to keep in his bag just in case.

All very good ideas. Thank you!

If you had included the referee in that picture, you would know at least one that would permit it.
That looks like Gary Cahill in front of the GK. And the JH1 on the GK gloves would lead me to believe that's Joe Hart. So I would venture a guess it's an EPL game.

Tips and tricks?
Great question! This last weekend my daughter missed a ball she would normally get but she said the sun was directly in her eyes and she had no idea which side of her it was coming until it was too late. Funny thing is, she already wears prescription goggles (FYI...No ref. has ever asked her if they are prescription in 2 years) and she refused when I asked her if she wanted the goggles that automatically adjusted to lite. Guess what...she is now begging for them. LOL

Back