Summer Tourney Competition

US Soccer Development Academy groups start at 2004 for the current season so these could be preseason teams w/ some of the players that eventually make the 2005 ussda squads but that 05' age group doesn't officially start DA until Sept 1st.

Don't know about the teams you listed or this age group but to give you an idea:

At Man City cup there are (3) USSDA groups: 2002s, 2003s, and 2004s. Some of the da clubs are playing there 2005 preseason teams but in the normal top flight since there is no DA flight for that age group yet.

US Soccer Development Academy groups start at 2004 for the current season so these could be preseason teams w/ some of the players that eventually make the 2005 ussda squads but that 05' age group doesn't officially start DA until Sept 1st.

Don't know about the teams you listed or this age group but to give you an idea:

At Man City cup there are (3) USSDA groups: 2002s, 2003s, and 2004s. Some of the da clubs are playing there 2005 preseason teams but in the normal top flight since there is no DA flight for that age group yet.
Got it. So this summer will basically be the only time we'll ever see Academy teams mix it up with non-academy.

Checking out the accepted teams list for Cerritos Cup there were some teams listed as Academy, Albion & Laufa. Are these the true academy teams entering these tourneys?
Albion calls their top non-DA team Academy. Which makes it hard to tell. Both Albion and LAUFA have 05s playing on their current 04 DA teams and I presume these players will drop down to the 05 DA team for the next DA season. I am guessing that the teams at Cerritos are pre-season or partial teams probably with a lot of guests.

Interesting, Laufa shows up for this tourney as well. I hear the Academy teams carry rosters of 20+, maybe they split the team in half to play 2 tourneys? On another note, $1,200 to play 9 v 9. Damn these things are getting expensive.

I have not witnessed an academy team with a roster over 14-15, at least at the 05 level playing 9 v 9. Next year that may change as it moves to 11 v 11, but I would say a roster of 20+ is a big stretch. More than likely they will max 18.

Boca v Slammers & Pasadena v Albion Sorg in Legends Semis. I expect Boca and Albion in the final, with Boca taking the trophy. They look to be playing the best right now.

Only three 05 DA teams across the two tournaments this weekend. I think it is likely the chance to see the Academy teams is already over.

I think the next time, and probably only time, to see 05 Academy teams play before the Academy season starts is at the U12 world junior challenge at Silverlakes in July.

I think the next time, and probably only time, to see 05 Academy teams play before the Academy season starts is at the U12 world junior challenge at Silverlakes in July.
How many teams are really going to do that tournament?

It sounds fun, but if you win your team has to be ready to fly to Japan in 3-4 weeks. I am assuming the dates for the Japan tournament are similar to previous years. I see a few issues with that:
1. The last week of August is the first week of school for a lot of kids.
2. I am guessing they are thinking of traveling teams like the European academy teams, where the team travels and maybe a few parents go with them. How many American parents are going to be willing to let their kid fly to Japan on their own? And if not, how many parents can afford to go to Japan on 4 weeks notice? How many US clubs have the staff to take a full team to Japan without any of their parents?

But, mostly I want to know who all is planning on playing because my kid is supposed to be in Michigan at his grandparents over that weekend and if I need to not book those tickets I would prefer to find out sooner than later. So, yeah, really, this is all about me :)

West Coast? United Cup?
If the Academy teams can't win Cerritos & Man City that would have to be viewed as a major disappointment and under-achievement..

West Coast? United Cup?
If the Academy teams can't win Cerritos & Man City that would have to be viewed as a major disappointment and under-achievement..

I don't see any Academy teams at Cerritos for the 05s unless Albion's team will be their Academy team. I don't think it is though. Jusneededaname?
And at Man City you only have Surf's and LAUFA's Academy teams there. So you really only have representation from Academy teams at Man City and it is only 2 of them.

West Coast? United Cup?

Both West Coast and United Cup are after the Academy season starts in August and I do not think that they are approved tournaments for the DA.

Unless you buy into the whole DA is about development of players and not winning. Then it would have to be viewed as proof of concept.

Both West Coast and United Cup are after the Academy season starts in August and I do not think that they are approved tournaments for the DA.

Unless you buy into the whole DA is about development of players and not winning. Then it would have to be viewed as proof of concept.
Not buying into the development theme. The academies are stacked with talent, the elite non-academy teams have regressed, and if a game is competitive they'll have their best in there, just like the other side. They've been developing during the spring, this is the time to try it out. The other teams have been developing as well, having to piece together rosters.

Back