State Cup and Rain

Woodwork

SILVER ELITE
Weather forecasts right now show high chance of rain all weekend.
What are the chances it will reschedule?
When they don't, what is the recommended suit-up for the kids?
What are parents doing for sideline prep?

The first year we did State Cup, there was a similar forecast the Friday night before, but CalSouth said it was on, and families all over SoCal drove to a different part of SoCal. The places we all had to drive to were different and/or worse back then (Lancaster, Apple Valley, San Bernardino before the field work). The next morning it was raining sideways and we had an 8:00 AM game. CalSouth website still says its on and so does team manager. We had our younger son suited up in a snowsuit and were literally walking out the door of our room at the hotel when CalSouth finally postponed the game. There was much gnashing of teeth all over SoCal as everyone drove back to their part of SoCal.

The very next year, CalSouth was very careful to call the games on Friday afternoon/evening because rain was forecast. I am sure they will do the same this year. Get a hotel reservation that you can cancel.

If they do play in not so great weather, standard cold weather gear for the kids, start with uniform colored long sleeve under shirts (Under Armor), and add gloves, tights and ear warmers as needed. Players will need a warm jacket and pants that they can get over their cleats while they are on the bench. Bring an easy-up for the team.

The first year we did State Cup, there was a similar forecast the Friday night before, but CalSouth said it was on, and families all over SoCal drove to a different part of SoCal. The places we all had to drive to were different and/or worse back then (Lancaster, Apple Valley, San Bernardino before the field work). The next morning it was raining sideways and we had an 8:00 AM game. CalSouth website still says its on and so does team manager. We had our younger son suited up in a snowsuit and were literally walking out the door of our room at the hotel when CalSouth finally postponed the game. There was much gnashing of teeth all over SoCal as everyone drove back to their part of SoCal.

The very next year, CalSouth was very careful to call the games on Friday afternoon/evening because rain was forecast. I am sure they will do the same this year. Get a hotel reservation that you can cancel.

If they do play in not so great weather, standard cold weather gear for the kids, start with uniform colored long sleeve under shirts (Under Armor), and add gloves, tights and ear warmers as needed. Players will need a warm jacket and pants that they can get over their cleats while they are on the bench. Bring an easy-up for the team.
Great info. Thanks!

Nike turtle neck heat gear. You can pick one up at the Nike Outlets for about half the price of Dick's Sporting Goods. I would recommend that all the players just get the same color so they all match. There are still a very few refs that might hassle you over the color (had one on the field next to me yesterday). They come in black, gray, white (hard to find), red and blue. Amazon also has them cheaper than Dick's and if you have Prime you can get it by Thursday. I have found the Nike heat gear does a better job of repelling water than the similar Under Armor. You might want to try a runners wet/cold weather beanie instead of the ear warmers (Amazon or Road Runner Sports). Costco has some good cheap gloves.

After reading the weather forecast today, I am very certain my games at Oceanside will get cancelled for Saturday.

Are tur
Nike turtle neck heat gear. You can pick one up at the Nike Outlets for about half the price of Dick's Sporting Goods. I would recommend that all the players just get the same color so they all match. There are still a very few refs that might hassle you over the color (had one on the field next to me yesterday). They come in black, gray, white (hard to find), red and blue. Amazon also has them cheaper than Dick's and if you have Prime you can get it by Thursday. I have found the Nike heat gear does a better job of repelling water than the similar Under Armor. You might want to try a runners wet/cold weather beanie instead of the ear warmers (Amazon or Road Runner Sports). Costco has some good cheap gloves.

After reading the weather forecast today, I am very certain my games at Oceanside will get cancelled for Saturday.

Are turtlenecks covered in the FIFA snood ban?

I think the referees should handle the mismatched underwear color issue the same way they do with sleeveless jerseys - make a note on the game report and play on.

I thought kids like playing in the rain =0)...I sure did.

Should be common sense that your team wears the same color long sleeve undershirts. Not too difficult to coordinate.

Do their undershirts need to be the same color as other players on their team or the same color as their jersey--I have heard it both ways.

Would be good to know that we could by one color as long as everyone on the team had the same color as opposed to buying multiple undershirts to match the different color jerseys.

Do their undershirts need to be the same color as other players on their team or the same color as their jersey--I have heard it both ways.

Would be good to know that we could by one color as long as everyone on the team had the same color as opposed to buying multiple undershirts to match the different color jerseys.

One white, one black. If the ref is a @##@ about it then shame on him/her. DD wears hers to practices too, so not like having one of each is a big burden. Ref should be flexible but team should also use common sense and all wear the same color.

Over the years, our kids have played lots of games in the rain/snow.

Few practical tips, since I didn't see it mentioned above, are:

1) lots of dry towels to dry off quickly for your kid and teammates that forget to bring them.

2) complete cloths to change into "right after the game" so they don't spend any significant time in a wet clothing. If you have a 2nd game, hope you can wear the other color. Otherwise, a trip to the coin operated laundromat to use the dryer between the games (assuming that you have more than an hour).

3) If you have multiple cleats (which I recommend), bring dry cleats for each game. We replace cleats while there's still life left in them and use the old cleats for practices and in the rain, and keep the new cleats for games. If you don't have multiple cleats, just make sure you take the insole out ASAP and dry them as much you can.

4) Make sure that the team has tent/easyup over the bench. If you can, get the type that has zip/velcro walls on 3-sides to cut down on the rain/wind. If you don't have one of those, get a roll of plastic tarp (at Home Depot) and duct tape to serve the same purpose. It make a huge difference.

5) have a thermos full of hot chocolate for the kids - they like that a lot.....

Thankfully, my kids are now older so they play in April and May, and none of this January~February stuff.... Good luck.

Yes, and...
Giant trash bags are useful here: Keep your personal bags (and towels, etc.) dry, and load up wet clothing for taking to the coin dry.

One white, one black. If the ref is a @##@ about it then shame on him/her. DD wears hers to practices too, so not like having one of each is a big burden. Ref should be flexible but team should also use common sense and all wear the same color.

If the referee makes the kids take off mismatched long sleeve shirts when it is cold or raining, then report the idiot referee to the head referee on site or Cal South. Unfortunately there a still a couple referees out there that do not possess common sense.

Back