Stat Analysis: Most Girls DA Clubs without Prior ECNL Experience Struggling

The women's side is doing fine with its disorganized program, because no one else has figured out how to do it better (but watch out for Japan and China). However, we need more than slogans on the men's side.
Well, China and Japan are training 6 days a week for top teams and 5 days a week for club teams. China also now has mandatory instruction in soccer for all grades plus they are establishing special schools just for soccer training like they do for many sports. I doubt parents in this country would ever go for that, they already freak out that the older girls that are in DA train 4 days a week. Our National teams don't train together year round either.

On the men's side of DA, the program was instituted with a 10-year plan to raise American player level to the prevailing international standard. Now that some DA players have started to be integrated into the national team level, we can see the results - failed to qualify for WC for the first time in 30 years.
Over simplified comment.

Well, China and Japan are training 6 days a week for top teams and 5 days a week for club teams. China also now has mandatory instruction in soccer for all grades plus they are establishing special schools just for soccer training like they do for many sports. I doubt parents in this country would ever go for that, they already freak out that the older girls that are in DA train 4 days a week. Our National teams don't train together year round either.

Back in the old days of my children's youth, what was seen as the ultimate recognition was invitation to the national residency camp. I don't know any parent who would turn that down. Do they still do that?

On the men's side of DA, the program was instituted with a 10-year plan to raise American player level to the prevailing international standard. Now that some DA players have started to be integrated into the national team level, we can see the results - failed to qualify for WC for the first time in 30 years.
C’mon Mr. Oversimplification. The men’s team has made improvements and DA has improved the level of play.

But you know what, the rest of the world ain’t standing still either. They all have access to the same DVDs, can watch the same replays on YouTube over their phones, they can pay good pro players to coach their most promising players.

It’s a shame we lost to Costa Rica and Honduras but those teams have gotten better every year and maybe they’re playing hungrier and it’s easier to organize in national teams in smaller countries.

C’mon Mr. Oversimplification. The men’s team has made improvements and DA has improved the level of play.

But you know what, the rest of the world ain’t standing still either. They all have access to the same DVDs, can watch the same replays on YouTube over their phones, they can pay good pro players to coach their most promising players.

It’s a shame we lost to Costa Rica and Honduras but those teams have gotten better every year and maybe they’re playing hungrier and it’s easier to organize in national teams in smaller countries.

Does that denial make you feel better? Face the facts - all DA has done so far is raise the cost for most players' families (excluding those who are selected for no-cost teams associated with MLS clubs) while making no difference in the quality of the best players heading for the National Team programs. The girls' DA program will do no better unless they break away from the established DA program.

Does that denial make you feel better? Face the facts - all DA has done so far is raise the cost for most players' families (excluding those who are selected for no-cost teams associated with MLS clubs) while making no difference in the quality of the best players heading for the National Team programs. The girls' DA program will do no better unless they break away from the established DA program.
You’re entitled to your opinion, but I speak as a parent whose son has been involved in 3 DA programs, and am familiar with many more because I know coaches or am good friends with guys whose sons happen to be some of the top players in DA. The coaching was fantastic, the competition was great, it was incredible. The coaching made my kid better. Isn’t that what DA is about?

The downsides were the travel, which was ridiculous IMO, and he had a hard time dealing with the selfish nature of DA players. The travel and the lack of the ball can grind you down in DA but the cream of the crop should emerge from DA.

You can’t pronounce a death sentence on a program that’s taken a long time and a lot of effort to get going, and has undergone several modifications on the way. The level of boys youth NT has risen.

I actually believe the girls will benefit more from DA. The US churns so many girls through its system compared to rest of the world any improvement in technical training for the girls will have a huge impact.

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I speak as a parent whose son has been involved in 3 DA programs, and am familiar with many more because I know coaches or am good friends with guys whose sons happen to be some of the top players in DA. The coaching was fantastic, the competition was great, it was incredible. The coaching made my kid better. Isn’t that what DA is about?

The downsides were the travel, which was ridiculous IMO, and he had a hard time dealing with the selfish nature of DA players. The travel and the lack of the ball can grind you down in DA but the cream of the crop should emerge from DA.

You can’t pronounce a death sentence on a program that’s taken a long time and a lot of effort to get going, and has undergone several modifications on the way. The level of boys youth NT has risen.

I actually believe the girls will benefit more from DA. The US churns so many girls through its system compared to rest of the world any improvement in technical training for the girls will have a huge impact.

3 DA programs? tell us more.

The Tale of Three Clubs would seem to be interesting. Did you love the DA program so much that you went back for seconds and thirds?
No the first folded, the other two were too far away. And it’s the kids decision, he wanted to play HS instead of DA this year.

Back