Some MLS clubs might just throw in the towel

Vin

SILVER
https://ussoccerplayers.com/2019/01...?platform=hootsuite&__twitter_impression=true

MLS eyes the DA
One sign that MLS and USSF are no longer in lockstep would be the league pulling their top academy teams out of the DA, or perhaps competing in their own division. The concept has been a rumor for years, one that finally emerged in public discussion this month in Chicago.

“Nothing’s decided yet. We are talking about that, in a continuous process of evaluating how to create the best schedule for our clubs,” said USSF Chief Sport Development Officer Nico Romeijn when the topic came up during Lepore’s session. “It’s a big challenge when we are looking at the size of our country.”

Many MLS academy coaches believe playing less-talented opponents who sometimes have a different mindset or philosophy inhibits their players’ progression. They’d generally rather be competing with other pro academies, including more international opposition. Yet travel costs and logistics would make an all-MLS youth league like Liga MX’s very expensive to execute.

“Certainly no decision has been made,” said Garber. “There have been lots of discussions about, what do we need to do to ensure that we are developing players in a way that is efficient, that is utilizing our resources effectively, and with all the changes that are going on with the soccer landscape, taking our responsibility to ensure that we’ve got the best possible competitive environment.”

And yet…

Some MLS clubs might just throw in the towel
Even as the league as a whole claims to spend nine figures annually on development, rumors abound of member clubs who’d eagerly shut down their youth academies if they had the choice. I’ve heard this said about several franchises, some based in large markets with ample talent in their backyard.

Why? For some, youth development is more time, trouble, and expense than it’s worth. Investor/operators could spend those millions on established players, mostly from abroad, with more immediate return on investment, as MLS’ recent outlays on various allocation money mechanisms suggest.

“If they can take that money and say, 'Give me that money in TAM, or a Designated Player, so I can satisfy my fans,' then that’s something that is counter, perhaps, in the long term to decisions we have to make in youth investment,” said Garber. “We do need to see more return.”

On first blush, at least, the idea of MLS retreating from the youth space to any extent sounds like a problem for the US national teams. As of now, every club in the league has to operate an academy. Could that change? What aftershocks might it send reverberating across the wider ecosystem? Or would those lacking full commitment be doing everyone a favor by bowing out?

That’s one of many areas in which we’ll have to watch and wait as 2019 unfolds.

https://ussoccerplayers.com/2019/01...?platform=hootsuite&__twitter_impression=true

“If they can take that money and say, 'Give me that money in TAM, or a Designated Player, so I can satisfy my fans,' then that’s something that is counter, perhaps, in the long term to decisions we have to make in youth investment,” said Garber. “We do need to see more return.”

This is increasingly the MLS playbook. If most MLS teams had their way, they would spend all their money on European DPs and Latin American TAM players. Latin Americans, because of their cost of living, find the relatively paltry TAM wages of the MLS appealing in comparison to their home countries, while middle class American kids look at the paltry sum, compare it to careers with a college education, and say no thank you. If it wasn't for the international caps, we'd be seeing all-Latino teams out there sprinkled with a few past-their-prime Euros.

Sound also like more of a drumbeat for transfer payments to make it worth their while doing academies.

Going to be some more changes to DA either way; either MLS academies get some concessions , the Solidarity Payment deal gets worked on or there gone sooner or later IMO.
http://www.socalsoccer.com/threads/...nts-and-the-pay-to-play-scapegoat.4920/page-3

For example not including the Girls LA Galaxy spend $4$ million or more on there youth academy last reports and there best Older player walked away for free to play in Europe.
Alex Mendez.
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...FjAPegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw1yPBgr8zohiXJ_XaiGQnet

The homegrown deal hasn't really worked out and the best Galaxy younger player (USL mostly) who used to play in the academy pays for Mexico YNT and not the US. Was moved to the USL at age 15 and was the younger player of the year this past season.
https://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2018/...led-mexican-youth-national-team-training-camp

The competition is the DA is simply not good enough after a certain age and the teams that try to play the international or bigger tournaments normally don't do all that well.

The return on the investment hasn't been there and hard to see that improving the way things are so change is going to happen just a matter or what and when?

Indications so far and the tryouts for ages not in the da seem to point to they will be playing in some other leagues in addition or instead of the DA for 19-20.

Back