Socal Soccer League ECRL Division?

I heard that ECRL will play out of the Socal Soccer League this year, along with existing NPL teams. Do I have this right? Can anyone confirm, deny or give details?

No schedules or description is posted yet, so unless someone can share firm information, it's just speculation at the moment. However, Norcal has integrated ECNL-RL and NPL as of this season, so the top division of NPL is essentially ECNL-RL. For U13/U14, the top NPL teams in the fall, play and ECNL-RL division in the spring. They go back to NPL in the fall. For U15-U19, it's a year round division. However - the bottom teams in RL are relegated to NPL, the top teams in NPL are promoted to RL. Details here. It's certainly possible that SoCal will follow Norcal across the board, while it's also possible that there may be minor or major differences.

There are no pubilicly available details on the rumored ECNL-RL CA division beyond the deleted Instagram post from Surf and an email they sent out to a number of parents in relevant age groups announcing a "third ECNL platform."

The implication is that this will be in addition to the existing ECNL RL Southwest league, for the exsisting clubs' third teams (and potentially others to join as a pathway to full membership).

I think the closest analog would be how ECNL RL is set up in Texas... with one primary League (RL TX) and two "lower level" leagues (RL NTX - Northern TX and USC TX - Southern TX), that get to send a smaller proportion of their top teams to the ECNL RL Playoffs.

Whether or not SoCal would be administering ECNL-RL CA remains to be seen. Too many rumors flying around with different info to say anything for certain.

Yes - but these are two separate, but related, discussions. 1st discussion is if whether the existing ECNL-RL Southwest league is really redefined as the top level of NPL. That's what happened in NorCal. 2nd discussion is if there is a 3rd level league, essentially the 2nd level of RL, that is established anew for teams in southern California. If that happens, it could certainly follow the Texas model, or could follow any number of possibilities about membership/travel/costs.

Yes - but these are two separate, but related, discussions. 1st discussion is if whether the existing ECNL-RL Southwest league is really redefined as the top level of NPL. That's what happened in NorCal. 2nd discussion is if there is a 3rd level league, essentially the 2nd level of RL, that is established anew for teams in southern California. If that happens, it could certainly follow the Texas model, or could follow any number of possibilities about membership/travel/costs.
Yet another possibility is the one followed in the Carolinas, where both RL teams are in the same league, but one RL team is clearly better than the other. See Charlotte SA, NCFC, and NC Fusion for examples.

Based on the cryptic message from Surf, I would think the NorCal model is closer to what may happen. Maybe TX. Probably not NC. But it’s sure messy with how different they run the same platform around the country.

I was told by a number of coaches from various clubs that NPL is becoming ECRL 2.

I was also told that ECNL is removing Mojave and Sonoran divisions and having it as just one big Southwest League with a reduced league schedule to play each team once and then include the showcase results in standings leading to a 6 team Southwest playoff with only the top team going to nationals in Virginia.

Looks like there’s a lot of action going on with lots of moving parts.

Given the moving parts and players involved, my money is on the TX model... but with all of the contradictory rumors out there right now, who knows how it shakes out.

I was told by a number of coaches from various clubs that NPL is becoming ECRL 2.

I was also told that ECNL is removing Mojave and Sonoran divisions and having it as just one big Southwest League with a reduced league schedule to play each team once and then include the showcase results in standings leading to a 6 team Southwest playoff with only the top team going to nationals in Virginia.

That would be welcome news. Current schedule too much of a grind...24 league games plus showcases, season lasting from Sept - June.

I see NPL becoming ECRL2 so "who cares" but your second statement would be a massive massive mistake. In 2010 last year there were 8 teams that went to Virginia. 4 were from CA and 3 from SoCal and the Southwest Division. It would be an absolute shame to the sport if ECNL did something like that and shutout the best girls from going. I'm really hoping your information is incorrect.

I see NPL becoming ECRL2 so "who cares" but your second statement would be a massive massive mistake. In 2010 last year there were 8 teams that went to Virginia. 4 were from CA and 3 from SoCal and the Southwest Division. It would be an absolute shame to the sport if ECNL did something like that and shutout the best girls from going. I'm really hoping your information is incorrect.
That was my feeling as well. To do a 6 team Southwest playoff with the top team going to nationals is a travesty

No, this is correct. ECNL and ECNL RL Southwest will move to single fixture conference play as the conference was playing more games than other conferences and with expanded HS play its too many games for the players safety.

6 teams will qualify for Champions League play off, but its still in discussions as to how the play offs would look in terms of how many can qualify to Virginia. But nothing 100% just yet.

RL2 and NPL are in discussions but still a ways off as to how it would look as ECNL is club based and NPL is team based so how it would come together is the stumbling block.

RL2 and NPL are in discussions but still a ways off as to how it would look as ECNL is club based and NPL is team based so how it would come together is the stumbling block.

The way it looks like it was handled in NorCal, is that team-based promotion can occur, from an NPL team that is not in an ECNL club, so that successful team can play in ECRL regardless of overall club membership. Theoretically, an ECRL team that is in an ECNL club, that finishes near the bottom, will be relegated to the NPL level and no longer be able to play in ECRL the next season. There has been no public information shared on any pro/rel from ECRL to ECNL.

The way it looks like it was handled in NorCal, is that team-based promotion can occur, from an NPL team that is not in an ECNL club, so that successful team can play in ECRL regardless of overall club membership. Theoretically, an ECRL team that is in an ECNL club, that finishes near the bottom, will be relegated to the NPL level and no longer be able to play in ECRL the next season. There has been no public information shared on any pro/rel from ECRL to ECNL.
Yeah but the clubs in NorCal play nicer than the clubs in SoCal 😆 😆

Back