SoCal Soccer Attitude Change

Competition rules gives referees the authority to remove abusive spectators. This is not in dispute. They don't give them the authority to stop the game at will just becaus they're annoyed.

The flow of the game is specifically mentioned in LOTG. There're no timeouts, no water breaks. The referees cannot reverse their decisions after restart, and are not to confer with each other constantly just to get calls right. Getting calls right is not important as the flow of the game. The rules are designed to keep any disruption of the game to the minimal. When a player appears injured, the referee only allows a very short period of time for him to be attended to, or he is removed from the field. There's no other sport where you're laying hurt on the ground, and the ref baiscally tells you to get your injured ass off the field, fast, so they can carry on.

When shouting doesn't rise to the level of abuser, those referees that stop games simply don't have any concept of "the flow of the game." Shouts of "Foul" or "Offside" are annoying but they don't justify a stoppage. Those sideline mistakes can be ignored just as referee mistakes. It's a referee's duty to maintain the flow of the game. When referees stop games to correct sideline comments that don't rise to the level of abuse, what they're doing is essentially the same as sideline misbehavior - overreaction to others mistakes.
Perhaps you better read the "Code of Conduct" you signed. And when referees are doing their jobs right they are constantly conferring. They don't need to stop the game to do that.

Perhaps you better read the "Code of Conduct" you signed. And when referees are doing their jobs right they are constantly conferring. They don't need to stop the game to do that.
I never signed any code of conduct, my exwife did.
So, if I attend my nephew's game does that mean I am clear to comment cause I never signed any paper work concerning him.
Been known to walk the dog at the local sports park and stopped to watch a game for a while....what code of conduct applies to me?
You refs are so sensitive, guess you were the class tattletales, " Ms Crabtree, little Johnny just called me a poo poo butt."

So, if I attend my nephew's game does that mean I am clear to comment cause I never signed any paper work concerning him.
Been known to walk the dog at the local sports park and stopped to watch a game for a while....what code of conduct applies to me?
You refs are so sensitive, guess you were the class tattletales, " Ms Crabtree, little Johnny just called me a poo poo butt."
It means your wife shouldn't complain when you're dismissed for acting maniacally.

Wildcat66,

Here is how it works:
1. Clubs/Leagues rent the fields from cities or private parties. The fields during those rental times are subject to the rules and regulations of Cal South, the respective Clubs/Leagues, and the City/Private party.

a. In the case of a public park, the areas outside those areas rented and controlled by the Club/League remain subject to the rules of the park, but inside the area rented, guests (including "dog walkers") are subject to all the rules as noted above and may be removed by representatives of Cal South, the League (CSL, SCDSL, Presidio, etc.), the Club (Coach, Manager, etc.) or the Agent appointed by Cal South, the League or the Club also known as the Referee.

b. Most contracts/rental agreements provide that the "entire grass" area is rented, which means that the folks holding little Jenny's 4th birthday party near the playground are violating the Club/League's space when they set up their jumper on the corner of the grass field 70 feet from the soccer field.

2. Folks in the vicinity of the fields (or on the areas rented) are subject to the rules regardless of whether they signed a form or not because for that time being, they are guests on property controlled by another (in legal speak they are "Licensees").

3. With respect to dogs, most leagues have a "no dogs" allowed policy. So, if you are in a public park walking your dog, I recommend you watch the games from a distance because once you bring the dog within the areas rented/leased by the Club/League you are now subject to their rules and they can politely ask you to remove your dog from the area, stop being abusive, etc..

I prefer the European club system where parents are kept away from the whole process. Mostly drop off and pick up, then sit far away in the bleachers at games where they can't be heard as much.

Wildcat66,

Here is how it works:
1. Clubs/Leagues rent the fields from cities or private parties. The fields during those rental times are subject to the rules and regulations of Cal South, the respective Clubs/Leagues, and the City/Private party.

a. In the case of a public park, the areas outside those areas rented and controlled by the Club/League remain subject to the rules of the park, but inside the area rented, guests (including "dog walkers") are subject to all the rules as noted above and may be removed by representatives of Cal South, the League (CSL, SCDSL, Presidio, etc.), the Club (Coach, Manager, etc.) or the Agent appointed by Cal South, the League or the Club also known as the Referee.

b. Most contracts/rental agreements provide that the "entire grass" area is rented, which means that the folks holding little Jenny's 4th birthday party near the playground are violating the Club/League's space when they set up their jumper on the corner of the grass field 70 feet from the soccer field.

2. Folks in the vicinity of the fields (or on the areas rented) are subject to the rules regardless of whether they signed a form or not because for that time being, they are guests on property controlled by another (in legal speak they are "Licensees").

3. With respect to dogs, most leagues have a "no dogs" allowed policy. So, if you are in a public park walking your dog, I recommend you watch the games from a distance because once you bring the dog within the areas rented/leased by the Club/League you are now subject to their rules and they can politely ask you to remove your dog from the area, stop being abusive, etc..

While ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it, ignorance of contract to which one is not a party certainly is.

I prefer the European club system where parents are kept away from the whole process. Mostly drop off and pick up, then sit far away in the bleachers at games where they can't be heard as much.
I prefer the South American model where coaches too are included in this except at half time and then have to return to the bleachers once the game restarts.

I prefer the South American model where coaches too are included in this except at half time and then have to return to the bleachers once the game restarts.
When it comes down to it pick-up games with no coaches or refs are a good way to develop playing skills, but not often do we allow our children to play unsupervised in this country . . . and God forbid with strangers (which we all increasingly are)!

While ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it, ignorance of contract to which one is not a party certainly is.

In the context of "property rights," the rules are different than standard contract law. Every participant at the park/field (except for the owner of the land) is acutely aware they are on a third party's property, be it private or public park. So the rules are a little different here. Public property is subject to various laws, codes, ordinances, etc., depending on Federal vs. State vs. County vs. City. Private land is subject to laws explicitly giving rights to the private landholder to exclude people from their land.

When you are on land that you don't own, you should already know that you can be asked to leave that land by those with superior property rights ... its the law.

Probably going to the local high school football game tonight. I wonder how manty spectators will be ejected due to their disagreement with a call. I know, it's a stadium no a soccer field and one or two fans are much more abusive than 500.

In the context of "property rights," the rules are different than standard contract law. Every participant at the park/field (except for the owner of the land) is acutely aware they are on a third party's property, be it private or public park. So the rules are a little different here. Public property is subject to various laws, codes, ordinances, etc., depending on Federal vs. State vs. County vs. City. Private land is subject to laws explicitly giving rights to the private landholder to exclude people from their land.

When you are on land that you don't own, you should already know that you can be asked to leave that land by those with superior property rights ... its the law.

I agree. However, don't expect casual users to know that they are violating the license another party has acquired if that party makes no attempt to inform anyone. If I were in a situation where my legal use of a public space were threatened by another group who insisted that I must leave because "it's the law", I would ask them to call the cops.

Probably going to the local high school football game tonight. I wonder how manty spectators will be ejected due to their disagreement with a call. I know, it's a stadium no a soccer field and one or two fans are much more abusive than 500.
Of course no fan is ejected from a soccer game for disagreeing with a call. #strawman
But funny how you answer your own question knowing that the fans are so far away from the field at a HS football game, there is no comparison. And, I bet your game tonight will have security, off duty officers, administrators... so different.

I agree. However, don't expect casual users to know that they are violating the license another party has acquired if that party makes no attempt to inform anyone. If I were in a situation where my legal use of a public space were threatened by another group who insisted that I must leave because "it's the law", I would ask them to call the cops.
We actually have to do this occasionally when we can't clear our fields for training and games, even after we show them the City field contract.

We actually have to do this occasionally when we can't clear our fields for training and games, even after we show them the City field contract.
Way back when I was coaching U6 Rec I had an issue with some grownups batting balls onto our practice field. I walked over to them and explained that we had the field permit and to please stop batting until we were done. They gave me some lip. I once again explained that we had the field permit and added that we could call the police on them. They tried to call my bluff. I then said "See that group of moms over there? Do you think they will let you get to your car alive if you hit one of their kids?" They agreed to stop batting practice immediately.

Consider the following. I recently heard from a Referee Assignor that the attrition rate among young referees (minors) is about 50 percent. These young people get their Grade 8's and after about 1 season of serving as an AR or Ref at the club soccer level, drop out, never to be heard from again. The 1st reason is A-Hole parents; the second reason is A-Hole coaches; the 3rd reason is A-Hole parents (see 1).

We have a problem. Grown men and women think is cool to demean and degrade the kids in yellow doing the best job they can. Sure, they get $31 for spending 140 minutes doing the best job they can and they do make mistakes.

A stadium setting is much different than an intimate sideline setting. In the stadium the words are nothing more than background noise versus cutting like a knife in that U14 game hearing from the A-Hole Dad 10 feet away. That 45 year old can take it and brush it off as the ramblings of an idiot (and laugh about it like I do), but that 13 or 15 year old AR is going to take it to heart. They will run that sideline and finish the game and may leave that day and never come back.

Respect. Its a word that some understand and some don't. You can respect something without agreeing with it. All we ask as parents, coaches and refs is Respect the game. Respect the players. Respect the referees. If a parent feels the need to disagree, at least be good natured and cool about it. Its youth soccer after all.

Back