So. OC traffic this Saturday

For anyone headed into or through south Orange County this Saturday on the 5 - be aware it will be down to one lane from 10 pm Friday to 11 am Saturday at Pico in San Clemente. There is typically a back-up on Saturday mornings but this will make it a real mess. Better plan extra time and know the limited back roads if you have a morning to midday game.

I found an entry in the lane closure system:

Orange 5 SB PM 4.08-2.31 From Ave Vista Hermosa to Ave Presidio Mainline Closure Lane#2, #3, #4 : 4 from 08/19/16 10:01 PM to 08/20/16 08:30 AM for AC Paving

I've attached the database query report

Attachments

• D12 5 Main Closures 8-20-16.pdf
    203.6 KB · Views: 5
See this link below. All lanes scheduled to re-open at Noon. It has also been on local Caltrans freeway message boards for 3-4 days to avoid the area due to reduction down to 1 lane south. It will be a mess.

If you have a game at 8 -11:30 a.m. in south orange county Saturday or you need to get to San Diego and your are coming from the North you better make sure you & your team knows the situation. There is San Clemente Surf tournament this weekend right in that area. For some fields a lot of the traffic will be unavoidable. There are some surface street options to go south - but when there is a traffic event on the 5 south in that area the surface streets jam up pretty quick as well. Just a word of caution to plan ahead.

http://www.octa.net/Projects-and-Pr...venida-Pico-to-San-Juan-Creek-Road)/?frm=7128

For anyone headed into or through south Orange County this Saturday on the 5 - be aware it will be down to one lane from 10 pm Friday to 11 am Saturday at Pico in San Clemente. There is typically a back-up on Saturday mornings but this will make it a real mess. Better plan extra time and know the limited back roads if you have a morning to midday game.

I am tempted to take the train just to take pictures of the mess.

Or just watch the red lines appear on the online traffic maps.

La Pata between San Juan and San Clemente just opened, doesn't always show on Google Maps or GPS yet.

Still doesn't show on Google Maps web version. The satellite image shows an almost complete road, but when you go to map view, there are no lines there. It also routes to the 5.

I'd guess the fault lies with Orange County. I was in the East Bay last weekend, and they had a new road which didn't show as opened one day (it was closed) and the next day it was opened and Google Maps had right. I was cursing my phone for telling me to take a closed road before I realized that it had just been opened.

That's a great road for locals to avoid all the traffic on 5 from people just passing through. Good job OC!

Back