SilverLakes Thanksgiving Showcase

DA teams are playing a Showcase, 3 games over 3 Days. We haven’t heard that DA teams aren’t planning to attend.

Sucks that they split the venue. Sounds like your girls should sweep their division, but I know that’s not the point. You pay to play the best competition.

Good luck to your DD’s and enjoy the Turkey!

DA teams are playing a Showcase, 3 games over 3 Days. We haven’t heard that DA teams aren’t planning to attend.

Sucks that they split the venue. Sounds like your girls should sweep their division, but I know that’s not the point. You pay to play the best competition.

Good luck to your DD’s and enjoy the Turkey!

How is that when US Soccer DID NOT Sanction the event. Plus per DA rules you cannot play more then 2 days in a row.

The only way these games are played is as a Friendly. I doubt Legends will risk putting the games on the Schedule when it is not sanctioned by US Soccer.

How is that when US Soccer DID NOT Sanction the event. Plus per DA rules you cannot play more then 2 days in a row.

The only way these games are played is as a Friendly. I doubt Legends will risk putting the games on the Schedule when it is not sanctioned by US Soccer.
Sorry, but whomever you are getting your information from is misleading you. This event has been and remains on our DA calendar.

You are correct about the 2 game days so it may simply be a 2 game over 3 Days Showcase.

Yeah bit of a mixed bag.....

Friday ALL AMG 2001 Flight teams at Main Complex
Saturday ALL AMG 2001 Flight team at the WEST complex
Sunday 5 AMG 2001 Flight matches at the Main Complex and 5 AMG Flight matches at the West Complex.

Lets be honest, this event isn't about AMG flight teams, its about DA, DPL and ECNL teams. Still think your better off being in the lowest flight at Surf Thanksgiving or Summer because at least all the coaches are on the same grounds.....

Had hope they would get it right and match the top competition vs. one another, but at least they listened on the fields.

Yeah bit of a mixed bag.....

Friday ALL AMG 2001 Flight teams at Main Complex
Saturday ALL AMG 2001 Flight team at the WEST complex
Sunday 5 AMG 2001 Flight matches at the Main Complex and 5 AMG Flight matches at the West Complex.

Lets be honest, this event isn't about AMG flight teams, its about DA, DPL and ECNL teams. Still think your better off being in the lowest flight at Surf Thanksgiving or Summer because at least all the coaches are on the same grounds.....

Had hope they would get it right and match the top competition vs. one another, but at least they listened on the fields.

let's be honest, it's about college coaches getting to see the player's that have reached out, doesn't matter which flight or if they're at Surf, Nomads, or Silverlakes. If the player's invite them and the coach is interested, they'll be there, yes, at all venues. Your post make it sounds like it's the end all, be all to play the top flight or that the match up's are such a big deal, the coaches don't care as they're going to see player's, not an entire match or teams they could care less which one wins or loses. My oldest DD played for a top flight team that went to Nomads last year, several kids were seen and offers were made from there too. It's crazy to think otherwise....they're looking at the player's, not the match up, just enjoy the game and your DD's journey, it goes by very fast.

let's be honest, it's about college coaches getting to see the player's that have reached out, doesn't matter which flight or if they're at Surf, Nomads, or Silverlakes. If the player's invite them and the coach is interested, they'll be there, yes, at all venues. Your post make it sounds like it's the end all, be all to play the top flight or that the match up's are such a big deal, the coaches don't care as they're going to see player's, not an entire match or teams they could care less which one wins or loses. My oldest DD played for a top flight team that went to Nomads last year, several kids were seen and offers were made from there too. It's crazy to think otherwise....they're looking at the player's, not the match up, just enjoy the game and your DD's journey, it goes by very fast.

If one game has one or two girls asking to be seen, but another game has 6-7 girls (across both teams) asking to be seen, which game gives the coach the most bang for its buck? (And let's be honest, for the later age groups - the coaches are probably seeing prospects for the first time, so it is all a numbers game to them.. e.g. see as many as possible to find a good fit.)

And if, as a college coach, I have two games I might watch, and one is across the street on crappy fields, vs another one that is right in front of me - I'm staying put.

So - while you are correct that coaches don't care about the outcomes, and they do indeed come to watch individual players not teams, you miss the whole point of the complaint. I am missing quality time over the holiday with my family so my daughter can get as much exposure as possible. This tournament has taken our money and unfairly pre-determined based on nothing that other girls are more worthy of exposure - or said in another way, get more privileged use of tournament resources. We'll be there trying the make the best of it, not only for my DD but for her teammates as well, but the tournament organizers have done a shitty job.

I've had 2 children go through this, I'm on # 3....
If your child sends the invite and your child is a potential recruit- the coach WILL walk across the street to watch her play. It's all in the email/invite and what the coach is looking for.
Coaches don't travel just to sit at one field. In fact last year I know of coaches that drove from silver lakes to Surf. And I know in the past, coaches who travelled to SD and attended Surf and Nomads and Carlsbad Nov Nights.
They WILL walk across the street before they drive to Oceanside.

If one game has one or two girls asking to be seen, but another game has 6-7 girls (across both teams) asking to be seen, which game gives the coach the most bang for its buck? (And let's be honest, for the later age groups - the coaches are probably seeing prospects for the first time, so it is all a numbers game to them.. e.g. see as many as possible to find a good fit.)

And if, as a college coach, I have two games I might watch, and one is across the street on crappy fields, vs another one that is right in front of me - I'm staying put.

So - while you are correct that coaches don't care about the outcomes, and they do indeed come to watch individual players not teams, you miss the whole point of the complaint. I am missing quality time over the holiday with my family so my daughter can get as much exposure as possible. This tournament has taken our money and unfairly pre-determined based on nothing that other girls are more worthy of exposure - or said in another way, get more privileged use of tournament resources. We'll be there trying the make the best of it, not only for my DD but for her teammates as well, but the tournament organizers have done a shitty job.

interesting thought process however, what if the coach is only looking for 1-2 players and the kid that reached out is the position he's actually looking for? This is my second DD going through this process and from what I've seen in the past years, that doesn't fit how it worked. If you're concerned about quality time, I'd think you be glad it's at Silverlakes. It's not an overnight stay, you have Thanksgiving at home and commute from home, beats staying in a hotel during the holiday right? Again, you're missing the point, if your DD sent the invites, they'll come to see her if the interest level is there, she still has LV and the ID camps that she gets an actual invite to see her, (that's where it finally happens)....nothing is perfect, as I said, the journey goes by super fast, it's her journey, we're just along for the ride and help guide them, just enjoy it.

interesting thought process however, what if the coach is only looking for 1-2 players and the kid that reached out is the position he's actually looking for? This is my second DD going through this process and from what I've seen in the past years, that doesn't fit how it worked. If you're concerned about quality time, I'd think you be glad it's at Silverlakes. It's not an overnight stay, you have Thanksgiving at home and commute from home, beats staying in a hotel during the holiday right? Again, you're missing the point, if your DD sent the invites, they'll come to see her if the interest level is there, she still has LV and the ID camps that she gets an actual invite to see her, (that's where it finally happens)....nothing is perfect, as I said, the journey goes by super fast, it's her journey, we're just along for the ride and help guide them, just enjoy it.

Outside of a supremely crafted letter, a highlight reel for the ages, and team that has performed very well at high levels of competition - how is my DD supposed to attract a coach's attention? (The question is rhetorical.. she is already having some direct dialogue with a few coaches via contacts that started via emails preceding other camps/showcases.)

The coaches she wants to attract don't know her (yet), and I'd imagine many/most of the other girls at the showcase are writing to the exact same coaches. There are a limited number of coaches coming from schools she'd potentially like to attend. Why do coaches even come to these showcases? Assumedly because they provide a concentration of relatively high performing talent to make the evaluation process more efficient. So, if these coaches get 20+ emails from girls leading into the weekend, and they don't have any exposure to the majority of the girls in advance (of course some may already have some conversations going), then it is a numbers game to them.

As I have already said, we'll make the most of it. The horse is dead at this point.

Outside of a supremely crafted letter, a highlight reel for the ages, and team that has performed very well at high levels of competition - how is my DD supposed to attract a coach's attention? (The question is rhetorical.. she is already having some direct dialogue with a few coaches via contacts that started via emails preceding other camps/showcases.)

The coaches she wants to attract don't know her (yet), and I'd imagine many/most of the other girls at the showcase are writing to the exact same coaches. There are a limited number of coaches coming from schools she'd potentially like to attend. Why do coaches even come to these showcases? Assumedly because they provide a concentration of relatively high performing talent to make the evaluation process more efficient. So, if these coaches get 20+ emails from girls leading into the weekend, and they don't have any exposure to the majority of the girls in advance (of course some may already have some conversations going), then it is a numbers game to them.

As I have already said, we'll make the most of it. The horse is dead at this point.

We never crafter any letters or videos. Talked her coach/DOC of the schools she was interested in and they got the coach to show up.

It sounds like you want the Showcase to do the work for you.....they only create the environment. Our DD’s need to do the leg work! Colleges recruit players, not teams!

It sounds like you want the Showcase to do the work for you.....they only create the environment. Our DD’s need to do the leg work! Colleges recruit players, not teams!
Kicker- have you settled on which PR firm will be representing your dd? With her Instagram and Youtube following, they are going to need additional parking and bleachers installed so everyone gets to see her. On a side note, Do DA rules apply to futsal tournaments? we need to get the Scapegoats or Honey Badgers back together...

Kicker I think your are missing the point. You enter tournaments and showcases because you want to play the best competition possible. If our team is a playing a high level team and more coaches come out to watch then that increases our players exposure. So yes in theory we want the showcase to put us against the best teams.

I have no doubt that the players will be seen by the coaches they are writing to. End of the the day we want to play different teams than we usually see on our gaming circuit. Our team entered this tournament in the hopes of playing top competition and proving we are equally as good as some ECNL and DPL teams. Legends stacked the deck to not allow DPL teams to play good SCDSL and CSL teams.

2 weeks to go, look forward to seeing the results and hearing which venue had the better draw! Good luck to all....

Back