Silverlakes Showcase: DA vs ECNL

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/commitments/club/index.jsp

Granted this is not the best source just they only one available. Not all of the girls are on the same teams and not all commits are listed. But looking at 2019’s DA/ECNL clubs show 130 commits in SoCal (I know Legends doesn’t have 25 girls playing DA) while other clubs have 14. Rebels has 5 of the 14. That’s 90% of the reported commits.

My guess is that the families that chase DA and ECNL are more likely to post this kind of stuff on topdrawersoccer - not a representative sample.

Likely 95% of the best players play either DA or ECNL. By they way you all sound like a broken record, DA vs ECNL, true national champion, dilution of leagues, one league should always beat another, etc. Why does DPL need to exist? DA? ECNL? Flight #1 teams are just as good as those teams! Let’s not forget Premier! How about those great AYSO players! Or only if our best athletes played soccer instead of other sports. I say give it a break and just enjoy the games that are played. Even the best teams lose games.

Generally, I agree that the best players and teams are in DA or ECNL (don't know what percent that is, and there are teams and players that are exceptions to the rule). But at 00/01 age group, Sharks are an exception to being included in that top group. They lost to an SCDSL team and a DPL team last weekend, and they are at the bottom of ECNL for the 2nd year in a row. Surf and OC Surf (West Coast) are both DPL now and both beat and finished ahead of Sharks last year when they were all in ECNL.

My guess is that the families that chase DA and ECNL are more likely to post this kind of stuff on topdrawersoccer - not a representative sample.
Listening to some of the podcasts makes you cringe about how informed they are about soccer played throughout the country. A lot of the analysis seems to be done based on the East or South - given contributors from Total Soccer Show are out of Virginia.

Facts are dumb things. It is what it is...

http://events.gotsport.com/events/results.aspx?EventID=65149&GroupID=717808&Gender=Girls&Age=19

My guess is that it will be a long time before another non-ECNL team is included in a DA Flight. Time will tell.

Anything can happen in games. I say kudos to that squad. And as for your guess, well there were several non-ECNL teams in the DA flight at Silverlakes this past weekend. I don’t think DA teams are concerned with the loss during Surf Cup as you may think. This would be especially true if most had committed already.

Generally, I agree that the best players and teams are in DA or ECNL (don't know what percent that is, and there are teams and players that are exceptions to the rule). But at 00/01 age group, Sharks are an exception to being included in that top group. They lost to an SCDSL team and a DPL team last weekend, and they are at the bottom of ECNL for the 2nd year in a row. Surf and OC Surf (West Coast) are both DPL now and both beat and finished ahead of Sharks last year when they were all in ECNL.

I don’t doubt your assessment but still the ECNL website shows this team with six college commits which is not bad for a team playing poorly.

There are about 63 2001 teams in Coast and 53 more teams in SCSDL. Let’s say an average of 16 girls a team. That’s 1,863 girls. DA has 12 SoCal teams averaging 18 girls a team. ECNL has 7 SoCal teams. That’s another 342 girls. DPL has 11 SoCal teams averaging 16 girls for another 176 girls. So a total of 2,381 2001 girls. 5% of that is 119 girls. My comment about 95% leaves 119 girls playing Premier or Flight 1 that at least as good as DA/ECNL girls (presuming the DPL girls would be playing DA if they could). That’s a lot of talent still.

Your math still doesn't add up. Just saying that your assuming that every player on DA, ECNL or DLP is the best or better than Premier/Flight 1. Fortunately that is not the case. Many and I will say smart players who don't buy into the DA/ECNL/DLP just because the team is in that league makes them better. Or making such a team guarantees much better results in being recruited. It helps, but if your on the bench since only 11 girls start , how are your chances better. Like stated by another before, the top third of each and every league is usually contested with usually their being a huge gap between the top 2 teams and the 5th or 6th place, and an extreme gap against the last place teams.
95% has no true merit. I would agree its higher, but those numbers are not real.
I have been fortunate that my DD has actually declined to play DA and remain with her team, she committed as a freshman back when they were still doing that. So I have seen the girls from '00, '01, and '02 and the teams that play those age groups. While the talent at those 3 leagues is good at the top, I guarantee that the rest of those non 3 leagues players have upward of 50% more talent than the bottom half of those 3 leagues.

Nothing against the your team. I agree you have the best non DA/ ECNL team but your the exception not the rule. Curious on how many girls on your 01 team is committed and to what levels if you care to share.
My DD's current team is made up of 02/01 players. Out of 22 players 10 have verbally committed to D1 schools and 1 is a D2 as of right now.
Here is the old roster from the National Championship team
https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/tourn...s/team/54767/eventgroup/3877/rebels2001elite/

There are many success stories outside of DA and ECNL just like there are many “disappointing” stories inside of it.

My DD's current team is made up of 02/01 players. Out of 22 players 10 have verbally committed to D1 schools and 1 is a D2 as of right now.
Here is the old roster from the National Championship team
https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/tourn...s/team/54767/eventgroup/3877/rebels2001elite/

That is a great result and you should be very proud. You have a very special team but I would venture to say that those results are a lot better than any other non DA/ECNL team and certainly are better than the weaker teams in those leagues. Let’s be clear though. I never said every DA/ECNL/DPL player is best or better than Premier/Flight 1. I said it’s likely that 95% of the best players are in DA/ECNL and went on later to explain that is out of all girls playing 2001 ( includes all club leagues and brackets not just Premier). That leaves well over 100 girls that are great not playing in those leagues and likely includes your entire team. Good luck to your dd in college.

There are many success stories outside of DA and ECNL just like there are many “disappointing” stories inside of it.

I the most notable issue of a new "league" forming is that they will not permit competition against other leagues, something is rotten in Denmark.

I the most notable issue of a new "league" forming is that they will not permit competition against other leagues, something is rotten in Denmark.

They do permit competition versus other leagues - even leagues from other countries. The caveat is that teams need to play under the DA format for the competition. Surf Cup and Silverlakes are obvious examples. I'm sure most teams would be fine to go with the DA substitution rule for a tournament or two. The problem is that most tournaments require either multiple games in a day or games over three straight days. DA doesn't allow either and it's hard to work around those rules.

They do permit competition versus other leagues - even leagues from other countries. The caveat is that teams need to play under the DA format for the competition. Surf Cup and Silverlakes are obvious examples. I'm sure most teams would be fine to go with the DA substitution rule for a tournament or two. The problem is that most tournaments require either multiple games in a day or games over three straight days. DA doesn't allow either and it's hard to work around those rules.

I love that we don’t let the girls play multiple games in a day or three days in a row. It’s not healthy in mind to force girls at older ages to play this much just so that a tournament can make money.

I love that we don’t let the girls play multiple games in a day or three days in a row. It’s not healthy in mind to force girls at older ages to play this much just so that a tournament can make money.
Just spent 32 hours over 3 days this last weekend at SL. Next year won’t miss this.

Sharks team has had great turn overs last 2-3 years starting from Toumi coming over from CSC, then DA at Surf, Albion and LAGSD. There aren't many top players in this town. They don't recruit players and take who show up at tryouts. 50-75% of players on this team live within 10 miles from practice location. Since you are from SD you know the academic demands of local HS in the area, many of the kids chose education over soccer. They did beat Eagles 5-1 last game, who tied a very strong Legends FC - South, they finally did something right.

Back