Signing Day

Congrats but having lived in Ann Arbor, it is one the worst place I've ever lived. I was high school age when we lived there for a year. Of course if you're from MI, probably have a very different experience....

Went to Detroit area once in winter on business. Trucks parked behind the hotel ran their motors all night so they would start in the morning. During the 2-hour meeting next day, a water bottle froze in the rental car.

You'll love it.

Went to Detroit area once in winter on business. Trucks parked behind the hotel ran their motors all night so they would start in the morning. During the 2-hour meeting next day, a water bottle froze in the rental car.

You'll love it.

Yep....it's definitely COLD in winter. Will no doubt be investing in new wardrobe. But she could have stayed in California, and she visited East Coast, South and Texas schools and really feel in love with Michigan. Coaching Staff and Big House. They have amazing indoor facilities for use when temps. drop. Top 20 academic school, great support for student athletes and a coaching staff we all loved. She's excited. Our family is excited and will stock up on winter clothing. They have #6 ranked recruiting class for 2017. Can't emphasize enough the importance of on campus visits (we made multiple trips). Go Blue!

Assume an athlete verbally commits during sophomore year. Should the family be concerned if the athlete has not received a NLI by national signing day? Is it common practice for the athlete to sign a blank paper on signing day?

Congrats to all the proud parents. Mine is 11 and still has a way to go. Anyone that gets the chance to watch their kids play all the way through college are truly blessed.
Haven't read or posted on forum for a long time, but this was a big week with the signings. Although I still remember fondly those U11 days......in fact met a lot of parents on the Forum back when we were all playing at that level. It sounds like such a cliche.....but it's real....time flies and you should enjoy every minute, you never know where the journey will take you and your DD. My DD hasn't left yet and I'm already missing the good old days. :) But it's great to see the girls we grew up with continuing their journey in college. Very proud of all of the girls! Wishing the best to all of you who still have the opportunity to spend quality drive time with your daughters. I think that's as good as it gets!

Assume an athlete verbally commits during sophomore year. Should the family be concerned if the athlete has not received a NLI by national signing day? Is it common practice for the athlete to sign a blank paper on signing day?
Are you or more importantly your daughter, or son in contact with the coach?

Did the coach ask the signed, otherwise blank, paper be faxed back to him that day?

Bernie Sanders,
This situation involves a friend's child. The new coach (yes,a change since verbal commitment) says this is standard. Seems odd - but I am just a friend of the parents.
I could be wrong, but was the player offered an athletic scholarship? If not, I believe a player isn't required to sign a National Letter of Intent.

I could be wrong, but was the player offered an athletic scholarship? If not, I believe a player isn't required to sign a National Letter of Intent.
No goal,
Yes the athlete was offered specific dollar amounts during her sophomore year at a D1 school. The coach says this is normal to still be working on the NLI. It seems odd to me. Who knows. Do most kids have written offers on signing day?

Did the coach ask the signed, otherwise blank, paper be faxed back to him that day?
Espola, what do you think?

I am posting because I am concerned about this athlete, who is a 17-year old student who commuted to a school in good faith at age 15.

No - the coach did not ask her to fax back a signature on a blank sheet. I am posting about a fine young person. Anyone who has constructive ideas, please share. This situation is not funny. It involves a decent person.

I am posting because I am concerned about this athlete, who is a 17-year old student who commuted to a school in good faith at age 15.

No - the coach did not ask her to fax back a signature on a blank sheet. I am posting about a fine young person. Anyone who has constructive ideas, please share. This situation is not funny. It involves a decent person.

It happens a lot more than people know; but, is rare if the coach really wants the player - they want the NLI signed on that first day possible since there is nothing stopping the player from accepting another offer.

No one is required to sign the NLI, and even those who sign can back out later. Of course, if you really want that offer to be completed...

It happens a lot more than people know; but, is rare if the coach really wants the player - they want the NLI signed on that first day possible since there is nothing stopping the player from accepting another offer.
Thank you Ladiesman217.

I wonder about the new coach. Time will tell.

No one is required to sign the NLI, and even those who sign can back out later. Of course, if you really want that offer to be completed...
Espola,
I am struggling to understand your post. Over time, I have grown to respect your honest and generous posts.

Your most recent post was at best useless, and at worst making fun of
I would appreciate insight from anyone who has traveled this path.

The coach and/or college is at fault for not providing the proper paperwork. Don't take shortcuts on this - insist that things be done right.

Thank you Espola. You are a good man. Thank you!

Just remember National Signing Day is the first day the scholarships can be officially offered and accepted - again, not uncommon to sign blank paper for the media. Although you can back out of a true NLI, you cannot sign another NLI until the next NLI cycle (1 year) and cannot play for another team without full consent from the team holding the original NLI. Might want to check out NLI ORG website for more information..

Back