Shielding the ball

etc1217

SILVER ELITE
Is it a penalty to shield a ball from the opponent, whether it's to let it go out of bounds or for the goalie to pick it up? My DD got a penalty on the 18 for shielding the ball so the goalie could pick it up and the ball was literally in front of her, to the point if she had to pass/kick it, she could.

if, as you say, the ball is within playing distance for her, than keeping her body between an attacker and the ball is not a foul.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent. The most likely reason for a foul to be called when shielding is the arms are used to make the player bigger. If the ball is not within playing distance then an "impeding" foul will be called.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent. The most likely reason for a foul to be called when shielding is the arms are used to make the player bigger. If the ball is not within playing distance then an "impeding" foul will be called.

"...or body..."? What else is there?

Nothing but legs. You can shield, but cannot forcefully with arms or body push or restrict the opponent. Some players think they can hip check (and do so) like its hockey. That's not shieldling.
Can't remember the last time watching either men's or women's professional games that I've seen a call go against the shielding player. Some of the most physical contact seems to occur between these two players.

Can't remember the last time watching either men's or women's professional games that I've seen a call go against the shielding player. Some of the most physical contact seems to occur between these two players.

The only time I have seen a a call a all against the shielder at any level is for using arms extended, or backing far enough away from the ball so as to put it out of playing range. I'm still puzzled about the "body" thing.

Shielding is allowed. Excessive physical contact between the players is covered by Law 12 under Fouls and Misconduct. Impeding is spelled out very clearly in IFAB Law 12, and should be called when the Law is properly applied. I rarely see spectating it at the professional level. From what I’ve experienced, if it occurs, it will usually be at the youth club level and with younger ages.

An indirect free kick is awarded if a player:
  • impedes the progress of an opponent without any contact being made
IMPEDING THE PROGRESS OF AN OPPONENT WITHOUT CONTACT
Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the opponent’s path to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play; being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

A player may shield the ball by taking a position between an opponent and the ball if the ball is within playing distance and the opponent is not held off with the arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • impedes an opponent with contact

Back