SheBelieves Cup

socalkdg

PREMIER
A couple things I noticed from last night. The USA looked a lot better than Germany did, especially in the 2nd half(jet lag? better prepared? better athletes?). Could easily have been 3-0.

USA missed as many shots as our DD's team did in their Sunday game. Over the top, straight at the keeper, miss after miss. Just something to keep in mind when you watch your daughter play and their team misses a lot of shots, even easy ones.

Not lookng like the 3 back defense is working too well. France destroyed Ally Long tonight. Johnston is a far better center back, IMO.

Time to make some significant investment at the top end of the Women's game at all ages. Anyone who has followed the USWNT over the past few years will neither be shocked or surprised by the performance and results of last nights game. Sure they were trying some new things and new personnel, but at the end of the day, a team that has relied on superior athleticism and sheer number of players is finally competing on the world stage against teams with equal or better athleticism, more refined technical ability and better quality coaches. The USSDA will do little to improve our kids future if we continue to be led by an out-of -date coaching hierarchy and an affinity for win at all cost, direct, athleticism first soccer. I hope the USSF does the right thing and strips the whole staff bare and invests some of the enormous revenue they make from the women's team to hire ELITE level coaches to take the program in the direction it deserves. Also, props to France. What an exciting team they have "developed."

USWNT meet futbol.

Sunil is spot on though.

When DDs' parents tell me how great their team is because of their talented players I already know who they are. Without even watching them play, just by mere size and speed during warm-up.

Time to make some significant investment at the top end of the Women's game at all ages. Anyone who has followed the USWNT over the past few years will neither be shocked or surprised by the performance and results of last nights game. Sure they were trying some new things and new personnel, but at the end of the day, a team that has relied on superior athleticism and sheer number of players is finally competing on the world stage against teams with equal or better athleticism, more refined technical ability and better quality coaches. The USSDA will do little to improve our kids future if we continue to be led by an out-of -date coaching hierarchy and an affinity for win at all cost, direct, athleticism first soccer. I hope the USSF does the right thing and strips the whole staff bare and invests some of the enormous revenue they make from the women's team to hire ELITE level coaches to take the program in the direction it deserves. Also, props to France. What an exciting team they have "developed."
I agree that US Soccer needs to start anew in the way it develops its national team pool of players. The real signs on a large scale was how the USWMNT performed in the Olympics held in Brazil. When they played Australia they had no ideas or creative ways to break down their opponents tactic of parking the bus. They just played direct. Again in the final against Japan in 2012 Olympics at the Gold Medal game they won on shear athleticism. Where Japan played incredible soccer demonstrating they were far more technical and creative. I am hoping the curriculum that is implemented either through the DA or ECNL allows a style of play where players are taught to be imaginative, develop on field intelligence, see the game, utilize skill, control and play the ball with purpose.

I agree that US Soccer needs to start anew in the way it develops its national team pool of players. The real signs on a large scale was how the USWMNT performed in the Olympics held in Brazil. When they played Australia they had no ideas or creative ways to break down their opponents tactic of parking the bus. They just played direct. Again in the final against Japan in 2012 Olympics at the Gold Medal game they won on shear athleticism. Where Japan played incredible soccer demonstrating they were far more technical and creative. I am hoping the curriculum that is implemented either through the DA or ECNL allows a style of play where players are taught to be imaginative, develop on field intelligence, see the game, utilize skill, control and play the ball with purpose.

Definitely beating a dead horse here, but female players that are technical and creative exist here. They just have been passed over time and time again. We need more than one Tobin Heath. We need a whole field full of Tobin Heaths.

The moment I hear a coach mention a players size, when describing a player, I lose a little respect. Nearly every ODP coach/scout I've ever spoken with. Thier position affirmation comes from Cal South's domination over all other regions.

The moment I hear a coach mention a players size, when describing a player, I lose a little respect. Nearly every ODP coach/scout I've ever spoken with. Thier position affirmation comes from Cal South's domination over all other regions.

There are positions where size matters. I can't think of any elite keepers or centerbacks under 5'6. And 5'6 is short for either positions. It sucks but it is just reality. Not many offensive lineman in college or higher under 6'1. I can't think of an NBA center under 6'8 (again very short). Height is just a part of the picture.

There are positions where size matters. I can't think of any elite keepers or centerbacks under 5'6. And 5'6 is short for either positions. It sucks but it is just reality. Not many offensive lineman in college or higher under 6'1. I can't think of an NBA center under 6'8 (again very short). Height is just a part of the picture.
I agree with that in regards to center backs and keepers. Although, I don't think Sauerbrun is very tall, and she's excellent. I wasn't referring to any other sport.

Gary Medel 5'7

Javier Mascherano 5'7

World Class CB players, and those are men.

lol@socal soccer forum parents and their narrow minds.

Gary Medel 5'7

Javier Mascherano 5'7

World Class CB players, and those are men.

lol@socal soccer forum parents and their narrow minds.

Okay narrow mind here. First we are talking about women and both of your examples are men Second, both players are over 5'7 (Mascherano is 5'9) so I am a little confused by your examples.

Okay narrow mind here. First we are talking about women and both of your examples are men Second, both players are over 5'7 (Mascherano is 5'9) so I am a little confused by your examples.
What makes you think women's soccer is more physical than men's?

Size doesn't matter in soccer. But you seem to believe it does.

"I can't think of any elite keepers or centerbacks under 5'6"

You have yet to give me a male or female example that is contrary to my statement. I think that size matters. More so at certain positions. Doesn't mean that there aren't outliers. Spud Webb played in the NBA. Nobody would confuse him or his accomplishments with Shaq's.

My eyes and experience make me think that women's soccer is more physical than men's.

You have yet to give me a male or female example that is contrary to my statement. I think that size matters. More so at certain positions. Doesn't mean that there aren't outliers. Spud Webb played in the NBA. Nobody would confuse him or his accomplishments with Shaq's.
But I gave you 2 examples where size is not a factor.

It's your U.S. soccer mentality that doesn't let you get beyond that point. Both the aforementioned would had never been on the u.s. radar.

It's your U.S. soccer mentality that doesn't let you get beyond that point. Both the aforementioned would had never been on the u.s. radar.

Both are males and over 5'6. Neither is a keeper. Medel plays centerback and defensive mid. Give me an example of a world class female keeper or centerback under 5'6. Hell give me a male one.

Where are you from? I would love to hear about the development structure in your homeland. All you did was give me two examples of male players over the height that I mentioned in a thread about women players. And then changed the subject and started talking about male players not getting recognized by the US system (and I agree with you by the way).

Back