SD G03 tryouts

SocalSoccerMom

SILVER ELITE
As G03s tryouts in SD are winding down, what are your thoughts? Conservatively there are 180 spots for "top" teams for "elite" players, are there enough kids to go around?
Surf: DA, DAII, ECNL, EGSL - 18*4=72
Albion: DA, DAII - 18*2=36
LAGSD: DA, DAII - 18*2=36
Sharks: ECNL , EGSL 18*2 = 36

As G03s tryouts in SD are winding down, what are your thoughts? Conservatively there are 180 spots for "top" teams for "elite" players, are there enough kids to go around?
Will Surf have both DAII and ECNL?

No such thing as DA2 on the USSDA website.

I would not include DA2 and EGSL as top teams.

Basically there are five "top tier" options

Carlsbad DA
Albion DA
Surf DA
Surf ECNL
Sharks ECNL

So basically 20 x 5 for 100 players

Are there 100 elite 03 players in San Diego? Maybe

I would not include DA2 and EGSL as top teams.

Basically there are five "top tier" options

Carlsbad DA
Albion DA
Surf DA
Surf ECNL
Sharks ECNL

So basically 20 x 5 for 100 players

Are there 100 elite 03 players in San Diego? Maybe
A'ole. I don't think so. A better question is, do we have 5 elite "top tier" coaches at those clubs? Makes for great marketing though. Just sayin'

I'm a mom of a 2003 soccer girl who made a couple teams and is trying to decide.
She made the A team for a small club and the B team for a bigger club and we are trying to understand all of the terms/leagues.
So for 2003 Girls, Surf has an A team-DA, B team-ECNL and C team that plays EGSL?
And Sharks will have an A team-ECNL and B team EGSL?
Who do these teams play against if not Presidio? I'm especially curious if anyone knows what level the EGSL teams play?
Are there other EGSL teams in the area?
Thanks,

I'm a mom of a 2003 soccer girl who made a couple teams and is trying to decide.
She made the A team for a small club and the B team for a bigger club and we are trying to understand all of the terms/leagues.
So for 2003 Girls, Surf has an A team-DA, B team-ECNL and C team that plays EGSL?
And Sharks will have an A team-ECNL and B team EGSL?
Who do these teams play against if not Presidio? I'm especially curious if anyone knows what level the EGSL teams play?
Are there other EGSL teams in the area?
Thanks,

You can basically say, since DA occurred, we are in full dilution. ECNL is still strong and added a few more spots, so EGSL isn't going to be on anyone's radar and will be mediocre competition. I'm sure there will be decent teams out there, but probably end up being a very mixed bag. With the spread of DA and ECNL, I'm sure the better players will pick one of these leagues based on if they are chosen, playing time and chemistry. I wouldn't choose EGSL unless it's purely a chemistry issue or coaching preference. At 03, it wouldn't necessarily be all that bad. But the following year, the ages are combined and it might not be that easy to break back in to a DA or ECNL team.

My daughter is pretty good, but not ECNL material. That wasn't even on her radar. But even if you aren't on the top teams, it's still awesome to play soccer when you are 13 right? I just don't understand what happens past AA-C (seems like it doesn't exist), AA-B, AA-A, Flight-2, Flight-1.
Last year she played AA-A. This year is choosing to stay with her team or move to a bigger club and play on EGSL team.
Would EGSL play Presidio or Flight 1/2? I know most who post here are talking about the top teams, but I'm curious about the middle teams. My daughter totally wants to keep playing, and wants to find a team where she can play with other girls who are passionate about the game...but she is not College Soccer Bound.

My daughter is pretty good, but not ECNL material. That wasn't even on her radar. But even if you aren't on the top teams, it's still awesome to play soccer when you are 13 right? I just don't understand what happens past AA-C (seems like it doesn't exist), AA-B, AA-A, Flight-2, Flight-1.
Last year she played AA-A. This year is choosing to stay with her team or move to a bigger club and play on EGSL team.
Would EGSL play Presidio or Flight 1/2? I know most who post here are talking about the top teams, but I'm curious about the middle teams. My daughter totally wants to keep playing, and wants to find a team where she can play with other girls who are passionate about the game...but she is not College Soccer Bound.

Here's my understanding from my daughters school friends, which don't play on ECNL teams. Seems in SD, premier teams (AA-A type teams), will play SDDA. As they age up, USYS will be the league of choice. I'm sure the games and teams will still be competitive for your daughter. It's about fun and camaraderie, no matter the level of play. People think that girls at the top level somehow are selfish or antisocial and don't need to have fun. Not true! Find the right fit and let her enjoy the game. We are in N. San Diego and even though my daughter is ECNL currently, she shares a great love of the game with many of her school mates that play on B and C teams. They watch games on their phones at lunch and play pickup in the courtyard. The love of the game is the love of the game. Good luck to your DD. These are crazy times.

Oh no, another Acronym! USYS. I'm a newbie. Don't most medium players play on teams that compete in Presidio or SDDA Flight 1 or 2?

But thanks CopaMundial. I don't have anything against Elite players like your dd. It's just not where my daughter is at skill wise or commitment wise. Best of luck.

Oh no, another Acronym! USYS. I'm a newbie. Don't most medium players play on teams that compete in Presidio or SDDA Flight 1 or 2?

Yes. You are correct. That is where, as you say, a medium player would play and they will get high school soon, so enjoy that. My DD was injured this year, but her friends enjoyed it tremendously.

And life changes all the time and there are many lovers of the game, we never look down on a player level. We even have friends that played at the highest level and left to play lower, in order to do other elite sports. It's paying off for them and that's great!!! There are many levels for many reasons. I always just hope that parents and players are on the same page and find the right fit for them. Sounds like you are.

Back