SCDSL Playoffs

Would someone please try to genuinely explain to me how a playoff can be called the “Europa” playoffs when only 3 of the teams in it are in the Europa division? The other FIVE teams in it are the bottom five from the Champions Division.

Shouldn’t it be called the Champions Losers Playoffs?

1- No can't explain why it's called this
2- Is the format for playoffs posted somewhere?
3- The bottom five teams in Champions are still good teams. Champions competition is the best in SCDSL, so considering these teams losers is a bit off the mark. Last year, the winner of Europa playoffs in my child's division didn't win a single game in the Champions league season.

Would someone please try to genuinely explain to me how a playoff can be called the “Europa” playoffs when only 3 of the teams in it are in the Europa division? The other FIVE teams in it are the bottom five from the Champions Division.

Shouldn’t it be called the Champions Losers Playoffs?
Where are you seeing this? Wouldn't it be 9 teams from the Europa divisions? (top 3 from each bracket)

Playoff bracket naming has nothing to do with the season flight names. (This is my guess. I do not have any inside knowledge).

Where are you seeing this? Wouldn't it be 9 teams from the Europa divisions? (top 3 from each bracket)

Playoff format (not schedule) for different genders/age groups was emailed to all team contacts yesterday. I guess that's where this information is coming from.

Here is the email I received yesterday

To all Team Contacts for B2003 teams (all flights)

In August, 2017 at the pre-season DOC meeting, the membership voted to extended the league for the older teams (2004 and older) in to the first weekend of November. Due to all older teams having to have their season completed by 11/19, this meant that the playoff format had to change. Instead of starting at a Round of 16 the first weekend in November, playoffs will now start with a Round of 8 on 11/11.

These are single-elimination, one-game per day playoffs. All games will be played at either Silverlakes or Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park.

A separate email will be sent with playoff rules and check in requirements.

I realize that everyone is going to scrutinize their division and standings to try and figure this all out. Remember, there are still 2 weekends of games to be played so please refrain from emailing me the "what if" this or that happens emails at this time. It's very straight-forward based on the information below and the tie-breakers. I will not have any answers until all teams have played their 10 games and then we will all be able to see which teams qualify into which division of playoffs.

The other decision that was made was that the DOC's voted that the "everyone makes the playoffs" format was too much. That playoffs should truly about the top teams, in each division, making the playoffs. Not every team in every division. After all playoffs are just that. They are playoffs and not everyone makes playoffs in any sport, any where.

For those that do not qualify for playoffs, you do have the option of setting up games with other teams that do not qualify for playoffs. Simply reach out to an opposing team and come up with 1) a date (either 11/11, 11/12, 11/18 or 11/19), 2) a home field, 3) a time and send it to me and I will gladly add it to the schedule. While the games will not count in the standings, this is a way for teams to play a few more games should they wish to do so.

By accommodating all of the test dates, extending the season in to the first weekend of November and making a "true" playoff system we now begin at the Round of 8. For any playoff divisions that is "next best" these are determined by Pts/GP (second column on the standings page). For ties in Pts/GP for "next best" the following tie-breakers apply:

• Best Goal Differential
  • Highest Goals For
  • Fewest Goals Against
  • Coin Toss
Below is the format for the B2003 birth year. Please note: ties within a division will mean that all teams that are tied will qualify and thus the teams below those teams that are tied will be pushed down by that amount of teams.

Champions Top 6 from Champions. (2) 1st Place Europa North and South
Europa Bottom 5 From Champions. 2nd Place Europa North and South. (1) Best 3rd Place Finsher Europa based on Pts/GP
North American Next Best 8 left from Europa overall based on Pts/GP
Classic Next best 8 From Europa based on Pts/GP
Flight 2
Super (5) 1st Place Finishers. (3) Best 2nd place Finishers
Challenge (2) Next 2nd place finishers. (5) best 3rd Place Finishers (1) Best 4th Place Finisher
Flight 3
Masters 1st and 2nd from 3 divisions (6) and (2) best 3rd place teams based on Pts/GP
You are receiving this email because you are associated with So Cal Developmental Soccer League.
To be removed, please contact your League Administrator.

Back