SCDSL loses Silverlakes Norco...

Any update on where the Discovery League may play in the Fall?

Home/away where you have to provide home fields unless you want to drive to Kern county to play on the newly leased cal south fields. $$1000 league fee may get reduced but at least you get to play in there showcase for free even if it wasn't well attended by college coaches

Home/away where you have to provide home fields unless you want to drive to Kern county to play on the newly leased cal south fields. $$1000 league fee may get reduced but at least you get to play in there showcase for free even if it wasn't well attended by college coaches
Wasn't the supposed "draw" of Discovery that all teams would be playing at the same place to make it "easier" for scouts to come and watch?
I think SCDSL needs to give up the notion that they can compete with DA/DPL/ECNL/ECNL 2 on a league wide basis. There will still be plenty of good teams and plenty of good players in SCDSL. Just call it Flight 1. Maybe keep Champions and Europa, but get rid of Discovery.

Wasn't the supposed "draw" of Discovery that all teams would be playing at the same place to make it "easier" for scouts to come and watch?
I think SCDSL needs to give up the notion that they can compete with DA/DPL/ECNL/ECNL 2 on a league wide basis. There will still be plenty of good teams and plenty of good players in SCDSL. Just call it Flight 1. Maybe keep Champions and Europa, but get rid of Discovery.

Orange / North county regional league (OCRL) brake-away league coming soon....Slammer, Strikers, Pat's, Surf, etc.

So what did most discover?

Marketing/having scouts at random regular fall season games or paid filming was a stretch as was keeping up the norco field contracts apparently. Missed opportunity that's for sure and participation seems to be on the decline especially for the older groups.

I haven't been to many Discovery league games, but I've seen few. One thing I have not seen is a single college coach either at League games or Showcase.

Orange / North county regional league (OCRL) brake-away league coming soon....Slammer, Strikers, Pat's, Surf, etc.

Marketing/having scouts at random regular fall season games or paid filming was a stretch as was keeping up the norco field contracts apparently. Missed opportunity that's for sure and participation seems to be on the decline especially for the older groups.
For the G04 there were definitely no scouts at any of the games. Given the fact that college soccer is in full swing I would doubt any scouts attended Discovery games. The showcase was a joke. Out of 6 teams registered only 4 were Discovery and only 1 of that 4 had a winning record in Discovery (Legends East Riverside). The teams that were in the G04 bracket in Discovery that were the top teams were all playing CRL the weekend of the showcase so that wasnt planned very well by SCDSL.

It’s almost like the clubs that started SCDSL are biting off their nose to spite their face. They broke away from Coast to focus on “development” and get away from promotion/relegation to take away the pressure of winning.(oh and so they could have as many teams in an age group as they wanted).
Then they put their top girls teams in ECNL and boys teams in DA. And that was fine for several years. Never any need for an ECNL 2 league. Never a need for a Boys DA2/DPL thing. Then girls DA came along. And those same clubs either put their top girls in DA or ECNL. Some tried to do both.
And SCDSL also allowed players from ECNL to dual roster with their SCDSL teams. Sometimes to allow a player to get more playing time. Sometimes to help an SCDSL team win a game or tournament. And sometimes because their SCDSL team had a light roster and they didn't want to turn away 10 girls who paid to play with their club.
Then those same clubs got really greedy. And said “we don’t want our 19th best player to go and be the 14th best player at a rival club. So we’ll create a new league and bill it as a feeder into DA. Let’s call it DPL.”
And then ECNL put the squeeze on clubs. And a bunch of clubs dropped out of DA to be "All in" with ECNL. And now ECNL wants to do everything it can to crush girls DA. So they are rolling out a nationwide league for ECNL B teams called ECNL Regional League (ECNL 2). It will be billed as "you can play high school. And you might get to play on the ECNL team. And you'll get the pleasure of travelling to the same $howca$e$ that our ECNL teams do. You'll likely be on a field in the middle of nowhere. And we'll invite some guys in college t-shirts to come and watch."

But then the SCDSL clubs thought "wait- we have a bunch of affiliates that we don’t want to let in to our new closed leagues. We need to create $omething to keep them happy. Let’$ create a new division in flight 1 for teams that could probably give our DA and ecnl teams a good fight on the right day. We'll call it "Discovery" league. They can all play at the field that one of our board member$ has a vested interest in. The winner will get $1,000 for a tournament. We'll video tape some games (probably using a video company that someone has a vested interest in). We'll invite physical therapy student interns to sit in medical tents to tape some ankles. We'll create a new patch and some banner$ that we can sell (Anyone know if there is a relationship with a patch/banner company in the league somewhere?). And we can charge $12.00 for parking. And keep our onsite restaurant busy."

Last edited:
SL turf is garbage right now. Be happy not to be there. They have let it go drastically this year as compared to past.

DD on 03 Girls Discovery team. We had 7 college scouts at our games total for the entire season. Usually 0. Sometimes 1 a game. One game we had 3, not sure why. I think the other team finished first so maybe they were coming to watch them.

DD on 03 Girls Discovery team. We had 7 college scouts at our games total for the entire season. Usually 0. Sometimes 1 a game. One game we had 3, not sure why. I think the other team finished first so maybe they were coming to watch them.

I don't know any college coach who will come to watch any game unless there some kind of contact was made between player and coach before.

Irvine Great Park should start hosting some of these major tournaments. They have enough fields and the area is in a great location to keep families entertained for a weekend.
This is bit off topic but speaking of major tournaments, they need to figure it out somehow to get them.

Having been to the Grand Park in Indiana for couple of national title games and DA showcase, they do it right. The only thing the Grand Park has over the Great Park is the 3 indoor full sized soccer field with restaurant/bar with viewing stand set about 20 feet above the field level. The Great Park, on the other hand has both soccer and baseball stadiums, and skating complex that they don't have. Obviously, there is no comparison of weather....unless you happen to like 90-90 temperature and humidity.

Probably has lot to do with political connections and how willing the local congressman is willing to campaign for things like FWR and National Cup finals to be held, as well as working the USYSoccer and USClub Soccer for those events. I mean, why go to Idaho and Plano TX in the middle of summer???image.png

I don't know any college coach who will come to watch any game unless there some kind of contact was made between player and coach before.

Well stated- Nobody teacher families how to go about the self-recruiting process. That's the only way to get coaches there

Well stated- Nobody teacher families how to go about the self-recruiting process. That's the only way to get coaches there
DD's club (LAGSD) had multiple meetings to walk us through the recruiting process. In addition, each team member was instructed to email at least two college coaches before large tournaments and to cc the club college coordinator.

It’s almost like the clubs that started SCDSL are biting off their nose to spite their face. They broke away from Coast to focus on “development” and get away from promotion/relegation to take away the pressure of winning.(oh and so they could have as many teams in an age group as they wanted).
Then they put their top girls teams in ECNL and boys teams in DA. And that was fine for several years. Never any need for an ECNL 2 league. Never a need for a Boys DA2/DPL thing. Then girls DA came along. And those same clubs either put their top girls in DA or ECNL. Some tried to do both.
And SCDSL also allowed players from ECNL to dual roster with their SCDSL teams. Sometimes to allow a player to get more playing time. Sometimes to help an SCDSL team win a game or tournament. And sometimes because their SCDSL team had a light roster and they didn't want to turn away 10 girls who paid to play with their club.
Then those same clubs got really greedy. And said “we don’t want our 19th best player to go and be the 14th best player at a rival club. So we’ll create a new league and bill it as a feeder into DA. Let’s call it DPL.”
And then ECNL put the squeeze on clubs. And a bunch of clubs dropped out of DA to be "All in" with ECNL. And now ECNL wants to do everything it can to crush girls DA. So they are rolling out a nationwide league for ECNL B teams called ECNL Regional League (ECNL 2). It will be billed as "you can play high school. And you might get to play on the ECNL team. And you'll get the pleasure of travelling to the same $howca$e$ that our ECNL teams do. You'll likely be on a field in the middle of nowhere. And we'll invite some guys in college t-shirts to come and watch."

But then the SCDSL clubs thought "wait- we have a bunch of affiliates that we don’t want to let in to our new closed leagues. We need to create $omething to keep them happy. Let’$ create a new division in flight 1 for teams that could probably give our DA and ecnl teams a good fight on the right day. We'll call it "Discovery" league. They can all play at the field that one of our board member$ has a vested interest in. The winner will get $1,000 for a tournament. We'll video tape some games (probably using a video company that someone has a vested interest in). We'll invite physical therapy student interns to sit in medical tents to tape some ankles. We'll create a new patch and some banner$ that we can sell (Anyone know if there is a relationship with a patch/banner company in the league somewhere?). And we can charge $12.00 for parking. And keep our onsite restaurant busy."

A lot has changed in youth soccer over the last twenty-five years. I would venture to guess the number of youth players in soccer has easily quadrupled if not more. This is great for the sport, so yes we actually do need more opportunities for our youth. The players will grow up and have little baby players :) :) and grow the sport. The truly elite players will find a path if that is their choice others will pursue other passions and that is ok they will still have a better understanding of this beautiful game. Everyone needs to get a grip, time has a way of working things out, or not. It really doesn't matter in the end.

50/50 with my kids , around half the coaches/scouts noticed my players before any contact was ever made, we even knew about them, or showed interest. Couple from the last showcase for example.

50/50 with my kids , around half the coaches/scouts noticed my players before any contact was ever made, we even knew about them, or showed interest. Couple from the last showcase for example.
But they were probably there to see a player that had contacted them. Bottom line is if a player is interested in a school, they should invite the coach to the game.

Back