SCDSL Flights?

Its worth noting that, in USYSoccer programs, one cannot just sign up for the upper tier leagues. Teams must qualify by winning lower tier or play-in tournaments (i.e., SoCal National Cup and CRL Play-in) or be invited based on the previous season's performance.

We, often discuss how winning is not important and that development is paramount. Yes its true and its true for the Youngers. However, as the players transition to olders at U14+, to be on the winning team is very important from exposure perspective.

To be accepted into high profile tournaments, one has to have a great winning track record for the most part. There are handful of top tier tournaments that just about EVERY college coach attend.

Surf Cup, Disney Showcase, and Dallas Cup

You get there by making NL, or National Finals, or be on one of the DA teams that participates that these three venues.

ECNL showcases perform the same function as DA playoffs/showcases. Both of these have taken the leg work away from the college coaches. By attending these, you have the top 1% and its all filtered for you by the local clubs. Coaches can focus on which players meet the needs, rather than finding where the players are.

So if you are a coach and you're looking at your travel budget for recruiting, just how and where are you going to spend your money. By the time you goto the DA/ECNL playoffs/showcases, couple major tournaments, there isn't a lot of money left over other than just covering the local events. Its not rocket science, if you look at it from their perspective.

That's why winning matters for college aspiring players in youth sports and which league gives you the best exposure opportunities....
Well put Mirage...

Just a question.... Aren't all these teams the C team from most of these clubs?

GDA=A, ECNL=A-, DA2=B, Flight 1=C
As for SCDSL Flight 1, with the departure of the DA and the DPL teams (and with some second teams now becoming ECNL), I would suggest it is a step below CSL Premier.
No bragging rights earned in the first weekend of G02 play in the 2017 CRL Premier League season as between DPL, Flight 1 (Champions) and CSL Premier. The results (W-T-L) were :

DPL vs SCDSL (1-1-1)
DPL vs CSL (1-0-1)
CSL vs SCDSL (0-1-0)

No bragging rights earned in the first weekend of G02 play in the 2017 CRL Premier League season as between DPL, Flight 1 (Champions) and CSL Premier. The results (W-T-L) were :

DPL vs SCDSL (1-1-1)
DPL vs CSL (1-0-1)
CSL vs SCDSL (0-1-0)

We clearly get that you are a parent of G02 Flight 1 SCDSL player.

The statements made by Dos Eq and myself were overall general statements and not a particular small set of teams in a particular age group. Rather, for the older age groups in general.

For the group your interested in, you may very well be right but need to keep the examples in context.

Also worth mentioning that there were 2 games played this past weekend - the first two in the season for olders. Statistically, its insignificant because the sampling is too limited. After this coming weekend, there will be 4 games played out of 10, then there should be enough sampling to get a trend. Also, keep in mind that there are better and worse teams in any given league.

We clearly get that you are a parent of G02 Flight 1 SCDSL player.

The statements made by Dos Eq and myself were overall general statements and not a particular small set of teams in a particular age group. Rather, for the older age groups in general.
My daughter has played in both CSL and SCDSL. Other close relatives have both played and coached in CSL. We've had great experiences in both leagues and, as I've said before, I'd like see both continue to field outstanding teams.

You and Dos Equis have made sweeping general statements about the order of talent for girls now being DPL>CSL Premier>SCDSL Flight 1, so I'm using what I'm seeing on the pitch (and on the scoreboard) to see if your broad claims are playing out in reality. This is the time to do it. The teams are formed and are now playing each other in these various pre-season tournaments. In a couple weeks they will segregate into their respective fall leagues. I use G02 in my analysis because, yes, that is the age group that I know and the games I watch.

Further, in the last 2 months I've watched and researched many DPL/CSL/SCDSL matchups beyond those in the CRL (some of which I've posted about above), and at this point I've seen no pattern emerge that would support your and Dos Equis' overarching hypothesis. Yes, there's one more weekend of inter-league matches we can add to the data set before the fall leagues start, but I doubt that will change my perception. Nevertheless, if you and your boys have been attending the girls games and have noticed a different trend I'd certainly be interested to know about it. (So would, it seems, many other parents - this thread has been read by 293 registered users and is fast approaching 12,000 views.)

If G02 is your interest, I copied below the SCDSL standings from Champions league last year, and the eight teams that will be leaving or substantially different are as follows (1,1,3,4,5,8,10,11). If you think LAG is separate than LAGSB, I ask you where exactly do you think a late starting and disorganized DA found their roster -- in the South Bay at an affiliate. The fact that they got their a$$ kicked in the first DA tournament (Surf Cup) is one indication how little they actually cared about their girls DA program up front. They are still actively recruiting.

G02 in Socal is interesting. Blues Baker, Arsenal, and Surf are staying ECNL. Those are likely the three best teams at 02. Beach, Legends and Slammers added their 02 girls to Academy, and at 01/02 will be very good in DA. But at pure '02, after that you have a very solid Strikers team, and perhaps a FRAM and BYSC team playing very good soccer.

But what do I know.

1 Beach FC G02 Academy
1 Legends FC G02 Academy I
3 Legends FC G02 Academy II
4 CDA Slammers FC - HB 02 Elite EGSL
5 So Cal Blues 2002 Holley
6 Slammers FC G2002 Reserve
7 CDA Slammers FC - Whittier EGSL Troglia 02
8 LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite
8 Arsenal FC G02 EGSL 1
10 Real So Cal - SCV G2002W - Mitrovitch
11 Beach FC G02 Torres
The rosters for 01/02 LAG DA and LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite are public now. 9 of the girls who played on LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite in Champions last fall are still on the roster. Of those who left, I don't see any on the 01/02 LAG DA roster. Maybe some are on the the LAG DPL team.

I think your G02 ranking is pretty much spot on. Except I'm not sure where I'd place BYSC. I love the way they are coached. Their midfielder runs are very hard to defend against. But their talent is not as deep as I think it needs to be to be ranked that high. They haven't made much of a splash in the bigger tournaments and lost to the Strikers ECNL Reserve team recently. I'd put my money on Fullerton Rangers to finish ahead of them in CSL Premier this fall.

Whats up with all these teams naming themselves ECNL, ECNL 2, etc when they aren't even ACNL clubs or teams? Id that the new name for EGSL teams?

Whats up with all these teams naming themselves ECNL, ECNL 2, etc when they aren't even ACNL clubs or teams? Id that the new name for EGSL teams?
To my knowledge, all teams named ECNL are, in fact, in ECNL. "ECNL 2" or "ECNL Reserve" teams are typically B teams (aka "sister teams") to the ECNL team. Some of the players may be dual rostered between the ECNL team and the ECNL Reserve team. Previously many of those sister teams were called "EGSL" because they played together in the spring EGSL league. Some teams have dropped EGSL in favor of the ECNL 2 or ECNL Reserve moniker, but I'm not sure if that means they don't intend to participate in EGSL this spring or it is just a matter of branding.

Where it gets really confusing for me is where a team from a club like Real So Cal, which dropped out of ECNL this season, is still using EGSL. Perhaps EGSL intends to allow teams that are no longer sister teams to an ECNL team to play in the league this spring?

To my knowledge, all teams named ECNL are, in fact, in ECNL. "ECNL 2" or "ECNL Reserve" teams are typically B teams (aka "sister teams") to the ECNL team. Some of the players may be dual rostered between the ECNL team and the ECNL Reserve team. Previously many of those sister teams were called "EGSL" because they played together in the spring EGSL league. Some teams have dropped EGSL in favor of the ECNL 2 or ECNL Reserve moniker, but I'm not sure if that means they don't intend to participate in EGSL this spring or it is just a matter of branding.

Where it gets really confusing for me is where a team from a club like Real So Cal, which dropped out of ECNL this season, is still using EGSL. Perhaps EGSL intends to allow teams that are no longer sister teams to an ECNL team to play in the league this spring?
They might as well open ECNL to other clubs that could hang with the present teams or allow more teams in EGSL since more teams would like to play in a spring league.

G02 in Socal is interesting. Blues Baker, Arsenal, and Surf are staying ECNL. Those are likely the three best teams at 02. Beach, Legends and Slammers added their 02 girls to Academy, and at 01/02 will be very good in DA. But at pure '02, after that you have a very solid Strikers team, and perhaps a FRAM and BYSC team playing very good soccer.

I think your G02 ranking is pretty much spot on. Except I'm not sure where I'd place BYSC. I love the way they are coached. Their midfielder runs are very hard to defend against. But their talent is not as deep as I think it needs to be to be ranked that high. They haven't made much of a splash in the bigger tournaments and lost to the Strikers ECNL Reserve team recently. I'd put my money on Fullerton Rangers to finish ahead of them in CSL Premier this fall.

If only Vegas actually allowed wagering on girls club soccer...
upload_2017-9-25_13-15-2.png

Back