SCDSL Flights?

I've taken a close look at the G2002 Flight 1 bracket. My prediction for Champions division (in alphabetical order):

Arsenal FC 02 ECNL 2 (Champions in 2016)
Beach FC - South Bay G02 Torres (Champions in 2016)
CDA Slammers FC - Cerritos G02 Salazar
CDA Slammers FC - HB G02 Elite (Champions in 2016)
CDA Slammers FC - Whittier Troglia (Champions in 2016)
LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite (Champions in 2016)
Legends FC- West G02 FC
Real So Cal - SCV G2002W Mitrovitch (Champions in 2016)
Slammers FC G02 VT
So Cal Blues 2002 Farrell
Westside Breakers 02 Elite

Also perhaps in the running to make Champions:
Beach FC - Long Beach G02 Soler
CDA Slammers FC-Orange G02 Jimenez
LA Galaxy Orange County G02 Premier Woodcock
Legends FC - East Riverside G02 FC
Pateadores - Irvine G2002
San Diego Surf Academy Girls Select 2002
Strikers FC - OC 2002 ECNL Reserves (semi-finalist in last year's SCDSL playoffs)

It's also interesting to see the changes in the number of G02 Flight 1 teams for the various clubs compared to 2016:

Anaheim Surf +1 (added a Ladera Ranch team that looks like more of a Flight 2 team on paper)
Arsenal -1 (only 1 team now, which is their ECNL reserve team)
Beach FC +1 (Tuttle moved up from Flight 2; Beach now has 4 Flight 1 teams, 3 of which look pretty good)
CDA Slammers +3 (all 6 CDA Slammers teams look strong)
DMCV Sharks 0 (new coach)
Encinitas Express 0
LA Galaxy 0 (2 of the 3 teams look strong)
Legends -1 (top Legends teams are gone, apparently replaced by good, but not as great, teams)
Murrieta Surf 0 (has 1 team that probably needs to add some players to be competitive in Flight 1)
Pateadores +2 (added HB and MV teams, which both look more like Flight 2 teams on paper)
Real So Cal 0
San Diego Surf Academy +1 (they seem to have added a 2003 team, and a very good one at that)
Slammers -1
So Cal Blues -1 (So Cal Blues Holley left - I think to play the California Regional League; we'll see if Farrell can step up)
Soccer Life Academy +1 (team moved up from Flight 2; was in SCNPL this spring)
South Slammers 0
Strikers 0 (the mix of the Strikers teams is different, as are some of the coaches; 3 of their 5 teams look promising, especially their ECNL reserve team)
Temecula Valley 0
West Coast -1 (West Coast has slimmed down a team. I expect their 2 remaining teams will be more competitive this season)

Just a question.... Aren't all these teams the C team from most of these clubs?

GDA=A, ECNL=A-, DA2=B, Flight 1=C

It seems like there's lot of uncertainties on the girls side this year with significant player movements. Fortunately, my kids are boys and we've been dealing with DA for long time so nothing new for us.

It seems like there's lot of uncertainties on the girls side this year with significant player movements. Fortunately, my kids are boys and we've been dealing with DA for long time so nothing new for us.
Wait what?

I suppose players might have switched teams, but I don't see a big impact on G02 in terms of the teams. Consider the following Development Academy Clubs:

Albion SC U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
Beach Futbol Club U-16/17 Looks like their top Flight 1 team (one of SCDSL's best) went DPL
Eagles Soccer Club U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
LA Galaxy San Diego U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
LA Galaxy U-16/17 Looks like their top SCDSL team (LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite) is returning to Flight 1
LAFC Slammers U-16/17 Hard to tell but looks like all Slammers best Flight 1 teams returned.
Legends FC U-16/17 Looks like 2 top Legends teams left Flight 1
Los Angeles Premier Futbol Club U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
Pateadores U-16/17 Best Flight 1 teams returned
Real So Cal U-16/17 Seems best Flight 1 teams returned
SC del Sol U-16/17 Arizona team
San Diego Surf U-16/17 Seems best Flight 1 teams returned
So Cal Blues Soccer Club U-16/17 Lost better of 2 Flight 1 teams; but may have moved some of the better players to the other Flight 1 team.
West Coast Futbol Club U-16/17 Same Flight 1 teams returns

So, in summary, it looks like SCDSL G02 Flight 1 lost one good Beach team, 2 good Legends teams, and one good So Cal Blues team that are Development Academy clubs. That's 4 out of the 40 flight 1 teams from 2016. Not exactly the end of the world. But, of course, it will ultimately depend on player movement more than team movement.

I suppose players might have switched teams...

So, in summary, it looks like SCDSL G02 Flight 1 lost one good Beach team, 2 good Legends teams, and one good So Cal Blues team that are Development Academy clubs. That's 4 out of the 40 flight 1 teams from 2016. Not exactly the end of the world. But, of course, it will ultimately depend on player movement more than team movement.

With all due respect, team name returning is meaningless because the players within those team move on, as you've also noted.

Keep in mind that teams don't make DA, players do. So the team continues on but players with abilities go to what's best for them.

While there are teams that stay together and ignore all the noise, most do not...

I suppose players might have switched teams, but I don't see a big impact on G02 in terms of the teams. Consider the following Development Academy Clubs:

Albion SC U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
Beach Futbol Club U-16/17 Looks like their top Flight 1 team (one of SCDSL's best) went DPL
Eagles Soccer Club U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
LA Galaxy San Diego U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
LA Galaxy U-16/17 Looks like their top SCDSL team (LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite) is returning to Flight 1
LAFC Slammers U-16/17 Hard to tell but looks like all Slammers best Flight 1 teams returned.
Legends FC U-16/17 Looks like 2 top Legends teams left Flight 1
Los Angeles Premier Futbol Club U-16/17 Not SCDSL (CSL)
Pateadores U-16/17 Best Flight 1 teams returned
Real So Cal U-16/17 Seems best Flight 1 teams returned
SC del Sol U-16/17 Arizona team
San Diego Surf U-16/17 Seems best Flight 1 teams returned
So Cal Blues Soccer Club U-16/17 Lost better of 2 Flight 1 teams; but may have moved some of the better players to the other Flight 1 team.
West Coast Futbol Club U-16/17 Same Flight 1 teams returns

Team names might stay the same but remember that doesn't mean they have the same players. Also:
  • Beach, Legends, Pateadores, and Real - These teams will not have their second best teams in SCDSL. They will be in the DPL.
  • Albion, Eagles, LA Galaxy San Diego, LA Premier - These teams will not have their second best teams in CSL. They will be in the DPL.
  • LA Galaxy is not LA Galaxy South Bay.
  • Slammers, So Cal Blues, West Coast, and San Diego Surf - These clubs have both DA and ECNL. This will pull players from the top SCSDL teams.
  • Del Mar Sharks - New ECNL club will pull players.
The new DA clubs, changes with ECNL, and the new DPL will effect most of the bigger clubs in So Cal. On top of that you add all of the player movement. I think this will have a drastic effect on SCSDL and CSL.

Team names might stay the same but remember that doesn't mean they have the same players. Also:
  • Beach, Legends, Pateadores, and Real - These teams will not have their second best teams in SCDSL. They will be in the DPL.
  • Albion, Eagles, LA Galaxy San Diego, LA Premier - These teams will not have their second best teams in CSL. They will be in the DPL.
  • Slammers, So Cal Blues, West Coast, and San Diego Surf - These clubs have both DA and ECNL. This will pull players from the top SCSDL teams.
The new DA clubs, changes with ECNL, and the new DPL will effect most of the bigger clubs in So Cal. On top of that you add all of the player movement. I think this will have a drastic effect on SCSDL and CSL.

In the same token you can't assume or generalize that 2nd teams will be in DPL either, 3rd or 4th teams in that league in some cases from what I heard from 2 others.

When the dust settles around next year everyone will have a better idea on what's really what.

I would be very surprised if any of the clubs are treating DPL as the third or fourth team. I have first hand knowledge with three of the clubs and secondary information from two more that DPL is the second team (though they may not yet be playing well since many of the girls are new to each other). What are the specifics you are hearing from others?

BS

Explain your thoughts
DPL just another league. Parents aren't buying that 1st 2nd 3rd team junk because it's the same hustle from last year... It's just the new and has bells. Can you list the coaches for DPL? Let's start with the 03s and work our way up. Last year was the first year of ECNL for the 03s can you name those coaches and did they switch to DPL or DA? It's the same girls and the same size ball.

We don't need to over complicate this. If your dd is a stud, has her heart set on playing in college & is willing to treat soccer like a job, she will be playing DA. DPL/DAII, ECNL, SCDSL Flight 1 will all be competing for the other girls. If you throw the DPL/DAII, ECNL & SCDSL flight 1 teams into a giant tournament it would probably be pretty even competition overall. Lots of gaming circuits because people want to control their piece of the pie. Why would a DPL/DAII or ECNL team even play against anyone else? If they lost it owed expose it for what it is (a non-DA flight 1 team); club DOCs aren't going to have that.

The people I feel bad for are the people that think DPL/DAII is something special. DPL/DAII girls & families will eventually realize that it isn't a path to DA; it is merely a way for the clubs to sell the families on the idea that their kid is on the cusp of DA. Almost there, almost there, almost there.

Good points simisoccerfan, Ive added a few thoughts:
    • I agree as to Beach and Legends. On paper I'm not sure about Pateadores and Real. The Pateadores top team from last year (Pateadores - Irvine G2002 - Ickes) is back with the same coach. They've done reasonably well in summer tournaments so looks like they still have decent talent. Same for Real So Cal - SCV (Mitrovitch).
    • Since this thread is about SCDSL Flight 1, I didn't take time to analyze the CSL, but, if true, I suspect such changes could disproportionately impact the Premier division there.
    • The LA Galaxy South Bay website refers to the Academy program as "our LA Galaxy Academy." So they are representing to parents they are the same. http://www.lagalaxysouthbay.com/Programs/YearRoundTeams/index_E.html In any event, if there were no such connection then there would be LESS of a chance of the Galaxy's DA team negatively impacting SCDSL Flight 1.
    • I acknowledged player movement was a separate issue. However, I presume DA would draw from all over, not necessarily the specific club the DA team is housed in. DAII (or DPL as they call it) would seem more likely to pull a whole team out of SCDSL or CSL. That's the mystery right now.
    • This is a good point. Taking a closer look, it appears the Sharks moved their A team up to ECNL and now has their B team in Flight 1 of the SCDSL. However, I've seen players dual-carded between ECNL and Flight 1 so the Sharks' new Flight 1 team may have some of the club's better talent at its disposal.

My DD's flight 1 team took apart a DPL team recently. No one knew it was a DPL team. We saw it after. Every club and team and coach is different. I have another kid in DA. It's just different but I'm not saying better. Every situation is unique. Do what works for you. Don't believe the hype or elitist parents. They ruin it for everyone.

We don't need to over complicate this. If your dd is a stud, has her heart set on playing in college & is willing to treat soccer like a job, she will be playing DA. DPL/DAII, ECNL, SCDSL Flight 1 will all be competing for the other girls. If you throw the DPL/DAII, ECNL & SCDSL flight 1 teams into a giant tournament it would probably be pretty even competition overall. Lots of gaming circuits because people want to control their piece of the pie. Why would a DPL/DAII or ECNL team even play against anyone else? If they lost it owed expose it for what it is (a non-DA flight 1 team); club DOCs aren't going to have that.

The people I feel bad for are the people that think DPL/DAII is something special. DPL/DAII girls & families will eventually realize that it isn't a path to DA; it is merely a way for the clubs to sell the families on the idea that their kid is on the cusp of DA. Almost there, almost there, almost there.

I agree with most of what you say here. As for the studs that have their hearts set on college soccer and are willing to treat soccer like a job, those players may end up with an ECNL team so they can play HS soccer. Probably not many girls in this boat, but there are multiple girls that will take the ECNL path over the full DA path.

But my dd's coach and girls academy director stated that DPL will be something special?!? Now you are making me question our decision. ***This is a joke. I realize the intent of your comment.

As I have stated before and others have as well, the DPL league was created so that the DA clubs (without ECNL) had a place to put their reserve teams while trying to make it seem like an exclusive club (league). It's not elite or exclusive, but rather another way for these clubs to keep more of our money. I don't fault the clubs for doing this. Soccer is a business and they are capitalists.

Good points simisoccerfan, Ive added a few thoughts:
    • I agree as to Beach and Legends. On paper I'm not sure about Pateadores and Real. The Pateadores top team from last year (Pateadores - Irvine G2002 - Ickes) is back with the same coach. They've done reasonably well in summer tournaments so looks like they still have decent talent. Same for Real So Cal - SCV (Mitrovitch).
    • Since this thread is about SCDSL Flight 1, I didn't take time to analyze the CSL, but, if true, I suspect such changes could disproportionately impact the Premier division there.
    • The LA Galaxy South Bay website refers to the Academy program as "our LA Galaxy Academy." So they are representing to parents they are the same. http://www.lagalaxysouthbay.com/Programs/YearRoundTeams/index_E.html In any event, if there were no such connection then there would be LESS of a chance of the Galaxy's DA team negatively impacting SCDSL Flight 1.
    • I acknowledged player movement was a separate issue. However, I presume DA would draw from all over, not necessarily the specific club the DA team is housed in. DAII (or DPL as they call it) would seem more likely to pull a whole team out of SCDSL or CSL. That's the mystery right now.
    • This is a good point. Taking a closer look, it appears the Sharks moved their A team up to ECNL and now has their B team in Flight 1 of the SCDSL. However, I've seen players dual-carded between ECNL and Flight 1 so the Sharks' new Flight 1 team may have some of the club's better talent at its disposal.

If I am not mistaken LA Galaxy San Diego has moved to SCDSL

I've taken a close look at the G2002 Flight 1 bracket. My prediction for Champions division (in alphabetical order):

Arsenal FC 02 ECNL 2 (Champions in 2016)
Beach FC - South Bay G02 Torres (Champions in 2016)
CDA Slammers FC - Cerritos G02 Salazar
CDA Slammers FC - HB G02 Elite (Champions in 2016)
CDA Slammers FC - Whittier Troglia (Champions in 2016)
LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2002 Elite (Champions in 2016)
Legends FC- West G02 FC
Real So Cal - SCV G2002W Mitrovitch (Champions in 2016)
Slammers FC G02 VT
So Cal Blues 2002 Farrell
Westside Breakers 02 Elite

I was 10 for 11. That 2003 team that is playing up (San Diego Soccer Club G2003 Academy Navy) was given a spot instead of Beach FC - South Bay G02 Torres. Interesting.

https://scdslsoccer.demosphere-secure.com/club-directory/2017-flights/

I still don't understand this "DPL/DAII" thing.
DPL is just another league put together by a few coaches/clubs to generate interest and INCOME.

What does it have to do with US Soccer?

Back