SCDSL - change to playoffs format

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by TCD, Oct 23, 2017.

1. timbuck

timbuck Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,451 / 16
    I'm more concerned with playing more games in a season. 10 games against the same 5 teams for $2k+ seems to be out of balance.

We played friendlies all summer for very little cost and a few tournaments. Seems the season doesn't mean much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +331 / 12
    You must be fairly new to a club scene. What I learned over the years - less games is a good thing.
    DA got this part right, mandating to play only one game a day and mostly 1 game a weekend.
    There is no one in the world playing as much games as we do here, specially 2-3 games a day in some tournaments.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. timbuck

timbuck Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,451 / 16
    We cut way back on tournaments this year. Only did 1 in Spring and 1 in Summer. 4-5 games over a 36 hour period makes no sense.
    But we did play plenty in Spring and Summer. Maybe 20 games. Some against teams that we knew were better than us. Some that we knew would be close games. And some that we thought we'd be able to work on some things with less pressure.
    We didn't have any back to back games during the fall season. And only 2 Sunday games. We may wind up with a playoff spot. But if not, ending the season on November 4th is silly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +331 / 12
    Over the years of playing, I learned that the real game is not on a weekend against some other team - real game is at training when I'm enjoying myself and competing with my friends. Training is more important and finally US Soccer started to understand this concept. Unfortunately parents want more games, never mind what kids want.
    When SCDSL first started it was a great concept and alternative to almighty (at the time) CSL. Less games, no promotion-relegation, no pressure to win. But wait...we wanted league Cup, so they came up with Playoffs. Then we wanted some kind of promotion, so they came up with Champions and Europe League. It only took 5 years to make this as close as CSL as possible and it's just sad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SocalPapa

SocalPapa

Ratings:
    +236 / 8
    I know Champions is supposed to be top 11 teams, but does SCDSL really use a promotion-relegation system to fill those slots? This year in SCDSL G02, for example, three teams that had played in Europa North last season were moved to Champions but none from Europa East or South. And I see even last place Flight 1 teams back. Doesn't seem as strictly tied to prior year league performance in the way that CSL promotion-relegation is:
    upload_2017-10-24_14-42-51.png

6. Frank

Frank Bronze

Ratings:
    +121 / 8
    When did it become bad to compete to win? In every other sport the teams and players compete to win. It is only in Soccer that hear the word “Development” and that is supposed to replace winning. Me and mine will continue to compete to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  7. Bubba

Bubba Bronze

Ratings:
    +30 / 1
    Your team paid 2k to play in SCDSL ? My sons flight 1 team did not even pay close to that. On the other hand my other son plays CSL on a premier league team and they had to pay $1075.oo for the league season. Plus we get to drive to San Bernardino every weekend (140 mile roundtrip per day)

• Like Like x 1
  8. socalkdg

socalkdg Silver

Ratings:
    +438 / 3
    So far I've done Palm Desert, doing Apple Valley next month, and hoping to avoid Lancaster in CSL Silver. Must say the drives aren't that bad. Great time to bond with the kid, talking soccer, her favorite video game, can she play basketball, should we grab in-n-out, etc. I know some day I'll really miss these days. Now getting rid of 8 am games at Apple Valley would be nice. Nothing beats getting some sleep. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. timbuck

timbuck Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,451 / 16
    I'd be fine with no playoffs and playing a few more season games. Isn't state cup supposed to be playoffs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +331 / 12
    When SCDSL first started, it were showcase games for everyone, youngers and olders, so you can play 2 teams from other brackets than yours. It was no playoffs. I think it was great.
    The idea to have another 2 games for olders instead of playoffs sounds like a plan to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. transplant

transplant Bronze

Ratings:
    +80 / 1
    You would think - but with state cup in April/May (olders) of Feb. (youngers) - many of the team have disbanded or lost kids since recruiting and tryouts start in the winter.

12. Justafan

Justafan Silver

Ratings:
    +373 / 8
    Just recently on another thread (last couple of days), a poster stated Girls in the U.S. learn the game or increase their soccer iq (or something to that affect) by playing lots of games because we don't play pick up games or watch as much soccer as other countries. I don't know how much I agree with that, if at all, but I thought it was an interesting take because I had never even thought of that or heard anybody have that particular perspective. Food for thought.

13. mirage

mirage Silver

Ratings:
    +415 / 4
    So when will the schedule be posted?

14. timbuck

timbuck Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,451 / 16
    Come on. It took them until the week before the season started to get the season schedule out. And this is with them knowing who the teams were for months in advance.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. jrcaesar

jrcaesar Silver

Ratings:
    +221 / 10
    Wasn't the whole idea of SCDSL that clubs wanted to be able to choose their own competition level (no relegation/promotion) and rotate players through teams of different tiers (weekly roster flexibility)? Turns out parents just want to know who their coach is and players just want to know who their teammates are. Still don't understand why there are playoffs though???

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Multi Sport

Multi Sport Silver

Ratings:
    +633 / 12
    Nothing wrong with winning. But do you want to win because your team has kids that have reached puberty first or because they actually can play better? How about win because your kids team is playing in the wrong bracket?

Finding a coach (notice it's not club) who is willing to sacrifice wins for the long term development of the team is rare. Why? Because parents want to win more then the kids do and equate success with winning.

A long time ago, on the previous forum, I posted that you build a team from the back and then move forward. I got blasted from posters who said how can you win with your best players on defense. I never posted best player.. just that you build a team from the back to build forward and that includes the Keeper. That was in the U14 forum about 10 years ago...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. smr996

smr996 Bronze

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    The email........

To all Team Contacts for B2003 teams (all flights)

In August, 2017 at the pre-season DOC meeting, the membership voted to extended the league for the older teams (2004 and older) in to the first weekend of November. Due to all older teams having to have their season completed by 11/19, this meant that the playoff format had to change. Instead of starting at a Round of 16 the first weekend in November, playoffs will now start with a Round of 8 on 11/11.

These are single-elimination, one-game per day playoffs. All games will be played at either Silverlakes or Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park.

A separate email will be sent with playoff rules and check in requirements.

I realize that everyone is going to scrutinize their division and standings to try and figure this all out. Remember, there are still 2 weekends of games to be played so please refrain from emailing me the "what if" this or that happens emails at this time. It's very straight-forward based on the information below and the tie-breakers. I will not have any answers until all teams have played their 10 games and then we will all be able to see which teams qualify into which division of playoffs.

The other decision that was made was that the DOC's voted that the "everyone makes the playoffs" format was too much. That playoffs should truly about the top teams, in each division, making the playoffs. Not every team in every division. After all playoffs are just that. They are playoffs and not everyone makes playoffs in any sport, any where.

For those that do not qualify for playoffs, you do have the option of setting up games with other teams that do not qualify for playoffs. Simply reach out to an opposing team and come up with 1) a date (either 11/11, 11/12, 11/18 or 11/19), 2) a home field, 3) a time and send it to me and I will gladly add it to the schedule. While the games will not count in the standings, this is a way for teams to play a few more games should they wish to do so.

By accommodating all of the test dates, extending the season in to the first weekend of November and making a "true" playoff system we now begin at the Round of 8. For any playoff divisions that is "next best" these are determined by Pts/GP (second column on the standings page). For ties in Pts/GP for "next best" the following tie-breakers apply:

• Best Goal Differential
    • Highest Goals For
    • Fewest Goals Against
    • Coin Toss
    Below is the format for the B2003 birth year. Please note: ties within a division will mean that all teams that are tied will qualify and thus the teams below those teams that are tied will be pushed down by that amount of teams.

Champions Top 6 from Champions. (2) 1st Place Europa North and South
    Europa Bottom 5 From Champions. 2nd Place Europa North and South. (1) Best 3rd Place Finsher Europa based on Pts/GP
    North American Next Best 8 left from Europa overall based on Pts/GP
    Classic Next best 8 From Europa based on Pts/GP
    Flight 2
    Super (5) 1st Place Finishers. (3) Best 2nd place Finishers
    Challenge (2) Next 2nd place finishers. (5) best 3rd Place Finishers (1) Best 4th Place Finisher
    Flight 3
    Masters 1st and 2nd from 3 divisions (6) and (2) best 3rd place teams based on Pts/GP
    You are receiving this email because you are associated with So Cal Developmental Soccer League.
    To be removed, please contact your League Administrator.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  18. smellycleats

smellycleats Bronze

Ratings:
    +116 / 2
    The more things change...

19. jrcaesar

jrcaesar Silver

Ratings:
    +221 / 10
  20. Eagle33

Eagle33 Silver

Ratings:
    +331 / 12
    So if teams, who didn't make playoffs want to play few more games, why would they want to contact the League instead of setting up they own scrimmages? This don't make any sense....

• Agree Agree x 2