San Diego league question

Where does LA Galaxy SD fix into the SD scene? Isn't it based a little north in Carlsbad?
LAGSD is located north of Surf, They compete for the same kids. There are a big club with many teams at every level. They are the result of several mergers over the last five years. I would amend my original statement and include them in the elite clubs of San Diego. I have a friend who takes his Kid to play on the top boys 2003 team and they travel 45 min - 1 hr each way. I will add that since they became a LAG affiliate, they have really grown.

LAGSD is located north of Surf, They compete for the same kids. There are a big club with many teams at every level. They are the result of several mergers over the last five years. I would amend my original statement and include them in the elite clubs of San Diego. I have a friend who takes his Kid to play on the top boys 2003 team and they travel 45 min - 1 hr each way. I will add that since they became a LAG affiliate, they have really grown.
For us, the time to get from San Diego to on the field was the same for LAGSD and Surf. Getting into parking lot at Surf used to take a good bit of time. When Carlsbad Lightning merged with Carlsbad Wave they became the biggest club in the county, even before the transition to LAGSD. Not that any of this really matters. The players and the team matter more than the club.

I respectfully disagree that they "...compete for the same kids..." At least when it comes to girls. The highest rated LAGSD team on YSR is their '04 team (which interestingly enough is missing a whole lot of games). Look at the make up of that LAGSD team (14 of 17 girls from Carlsbad). Then go and look up the Surf '04 team make up (5 girls from OC, 4 from Chula Vista, Poway, Escondido, etc...). Families are driving past LASGD to get to Surf. Surf had an advantage when they were the only SD club with ECNL and things may be changing but historically Surf has drawn players from a larger area and all of the other clubs had to fight like heck to hold into their players. If you still disagree with me go look up the rankings for the 2 clubs (girls side) and compare where each club has teams ranked.

PS No I don't have an axe to grind. Yes my kid played at LAGSD (with many on that '04 team), but no longer plays there.
PSS This is not intended to take anything away from how hard the girls work (at all of the top SD clubs); there are phenomenal women working hard at all of the referenced clubs, and deserve to be recognized for their efforts and talent.

The text table below (I hope it survives the formatting translation when I post) shows the current GDA 2004 standings. Both teams appear to have very similar records and according to you LAGSD has mostly local players where Surf appears to recruit more heavily. If players are driving past LAGSD, then maybe they should reconsider.

Rank U-15 Southwest Division GP W L T Pts GF GA GD Pts/GP
1 LA Galaxy San Diego U-15 [PLAYOFFS 4] 19 15 4 0 45 49 15 34 2.3684
2 Legends FC U-15 [PLAYOFFS 8] 16 11 2 3 36 39 22 17 2.25
3 San Diego Surf U-15 [PLAYOFFS 9] 13 9 2 2 29 34 15 19 2.2308
4 Beach Futbol Club U-15 [WILDCARD 2] 18 11 7 0 33 48 36 12 1.8333
5 Real So Cal U-15 [WILDCARD 4] 14 7 4 3 24 23 23 0 1.7143
6 LA Galaxy U-15 [WILDCARD 6] 16 7 5 4 25 30 25 5 1.5625
7 So Cal Blues Soccer Club U-15 20 8 10 2 26 47 37 10 1.3

I respectfully disagree that they "...compete for the same kids..." At least when it comes to girls. The highest rated LAGSD team on YSR is their '04 team (which interestingly enough is missing a whole lot of games). Look at the make up of that LAGSD team (14 of 17 girls from Carlsbad). Then go and look up the Surf '04 team make up (5 girls from OC, 4 from Chula Vista, Poway, Escondido, etc...). Families are driving past LASGD to get to Surf. Surf had an advantage when they were the only SD club with ECNL and things may be changing but historically Surf has drawn players from a larger area and all of the other clubs had to fight like heck to hold into their players. If you still disagree with me go look up the rankings for the 2 clubs (girls side) and compare where each club has teams ranked.

PS No I don't have an axe to grind. Yes my kid played at LAGSD (with many on that '04 team), but no longer plays there.
PSS This is not intended to take anything away from how hard the girls work (at all of the top SD clubs); there are phenomenal women working hard at all of the referenced clubs, and deserve to be recognized for their efforts and talent.
While I am not involved in any way with the girls programs and have never been, I was commenting on the general geographical area and number of teams for each club. There is always exceptions to the generalities. I think that the original question was about the clubs in general.
I totally understand your analysis of the two groups in question, I could make the same type of comparison with my boys team and the others in San Diego.

I am still learning but I think AAA, AA-A, AA-C I can figure out. I didn't know there was flights and premier. Mine is still young.

I don't get the colors. Green? Blue?

I am still learning but I think AAA, AA-A, AA-C I can figure out. I didn't know there was flights and premier. Mine is still young.

I don't get the colors. Green? Blue?
Quoted for @seasnake:
"
SDDA has
SDDA 1
SDDA 2 Gold
SDDA 2 Blue

Presidio has
aaa
aa-a
aa-b
aa-c"

Gold and Blue are used in SDDA to denote ranking of the flight 2 teams. North/South are use to denote geographic separation for flights that have too many teams for one bracket in that flight. Blue and green are used at the younger ages in the Presidio to separate the two levels of teams since they don't use AAA, AA-A, etc...

Easy right?

What prizes do they give out in these leagues? Dies top 2 or 3 get a team trophy and every player gets a medal?

What prizes do they give out in these leagues? Dies top 2 or 3 get a team trophy and every player gets a medal?

Top finishers get trophies (or plaques some years) for every player from Presidio. They are generic enough that the same trophy can be used for every division.

Player medals are at the discretion of the individual club/team/coach and are not provided by Presidio.

In SDDA, for first place my daughter's team got medals twice with a team trophy for 2 years and individual trophies one year.

Anyone have an idea of where does the Super Y League fit in this heirarchy?

Where it currently fits v. where it will fit is the question.

In SoCal SuperY is the USL's unaffiliated "elite" youth league. But let's take a quick step back and understand what exactly the SuperY league is:

At the professional level we have MLS and USL and a few other leagues of no real consequence that make up the 4th on down divisions.

The MLS has its teams with the A team playing in the MLS and the B team (adults) playing in some of the USL's 2 and 3rd levels. The USL has a vision to control soccer from 2nd level down to academy. So we now have:

USL Champions League (2nd Division ... MLS is 1st Division)
USL League 1 (3rd Division - Semi Pro)
USL League 2 (4th Division - Amateur - formerly PDL)
USL Academy (Youth Academy Program for USL teams - brand new)
USL's Super Y League (Elite teams/players from unaffiliated USL clubs)

Super Y is really the USL's attempt to take on US Youth Soccer with its National League and US Club Soccer's ECNL type programs.

Its just getting started in SoCal but represents an opportunity for clubs who have been locked out of the DA and ECNL to join a league affiliated with the USL and that hosts a National Championship (Super Y Finals) and does a player recognition event USLX.

Previously it was a spring league, but now its a fall league. Nothing stops a club/team from registering a team in SuperY and another league like SCDDA or Coast or SCDSL.

Where it currently fits v. where it will fit is the question.

In SoCal SuperY is the USL's unaffiliated "elite" youth league. But let's take a quick step back and understand what exactly the SuperY league is:

At the professional level we have MLS and USL and a few other leagues of no real consequence that make up the 4th on down divisions.

The MLS has its teams with the A team playing in the MLS and the B team (adults) playing in some of the USL's 2 and 3rd levels. The USL has a vision to control soccer from 2nd level down to academy. So we now have:

USL Champions League (2nd Division ... MLS is 1st Division)
USL League 1 (3rd Division - Semi Pro)
USL League 2 (4th Division - Amateur - formerly PDL)
USL Academy (Youth Academy Program for USL teams - brand new)
USL's Super Y League (Elite teams/players from unaffiliated USL clubs)

Super Y is really the USL's attempt to take on US Youth Soccer with its National League and US Club Soccer's ECNL type programs.

Its just getting started in SoCal but represents an opportunity for clubs who have been locked out of the DA and ECNL to join a league affiliated with the USL and that hosts a National Championship (Super Y Finals) and does a player recognition event USLX.

Previously it was a spring league, but now its a fall league. Nothing stops a club/team from registering a team in SuperY and another league like SCDDA or Coast or SCDSL.

SuperY is a summer league in the southwest with only 5-6 clubs interested if that many. Only 4 teams in U17 and very few care about this league.
http://www.sylsoccerconnect.com/sam/standings/ss/schedule.php?v=3&divisionID=NDE1NDQx

USL A is the other new thing there trying but very modest interest so far with what 3-4 teams planning on partipating. Perhaps in several years one of these offerings will gain some traction in Socal but so far just a blimp on the radar.

Back