Salty Parents Everywhere!

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by ATRTDT, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    Long time lurker.......and it was just time to make an account.

Please help me here.

Why are so many of you bitter and angry at the process of your kids developing in soccer?

Was it because you actually believed your child was good enough for the next level and it didnt happen or because you just realized you were delusional during the entire process?

Im not here to start a flame fest but having young kids coming up im trying to figure out when or where the train falls off the track?

Maybe im just simple minded when it comes to establishing a player who has what it takes for the next level in terms of scouting but wouldn't a tell all for not making it further is your child stops dominating at his/her position on the field and is no longer a stand out player? Are parents just that delusional and push their dreams on these kids by brain washing them in to thinking they will make it?

At some point we all need to realize sports were meant to be fun and not a cash grab.

Again, trying to see the light here.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Grace T.

Grace T. GOLD

Ratings:
    +763 / 10
    Part of it I think is the same complaints and bitterness that people have about the college admissions process. While Millenials were all about participation and affirmation, the Zers are all about competition (whether to college, sports, dance, achievements). So it's a bit of a pressure cooker.

Add to that the system isn't rationale. Sure, it's what you get if you establish an ad hoc system optimized to get kids to play college sports, and throw in a bunch of jiggering from the powers that be anxious to produce the next Pulisic. But the system sucks in a lot of ways which you've probably read about: greedy coaches/clubs, overly competitive parents, a hard to figure out system that's sometimes arbitrary, rampant cheating (yes, I'm looking at you Nebraska), corruption, expensive, time sucking, not fair to poorer players. I think a lot of people think "there's got to be a better way". I'm also sure there's some sour grapes, but most of us (even with my child's young career) have encountered lots of negative. My response: Chesterton's fence...things have developed the way they are for a reason.

3. Flipthrow

Flipthrow SILVER

Ratings:
    +117 / 1
    I know few parents that are salty because their kids don't develop into the players they thought they could be. Rather that their kids get treated like crap along the way. Most of us want their kids to learn to compete, be part of a team, stay in shape, make some friends, and have fun.

Improving skills and becoming a better player keep them interested. Most of us just want our kids to learn and be treated with some respect along the way.

Welcome out of the shadows. Salty or not, good to have a new contributor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  4. Bananacorner

Bananacorner SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +189 / 2
    I think for me I am bitter -- when I started this process I thought people who work with children for a living are basically nice people. Ha...

And the parents, the parents! They can be so annoying, like an angry deerfly by the beer keg at a pool party. The first nasty I came across was when my kid was barely 6 years old and playing at a winter clinic for a club (disguised recruiting vehicle), and my daughter was dominating the 6 year olds. Big deal, right? (although fun to watch as a parent). This parent pounded angrily over to me on the sideline and asked if my kid was 7 or 8 years old (I assume she was going to insist I move my kid to the older group). I told her, no, she was 6. She turned beet red and then never said another word to me the whole 8 weeks of the sessions (even though both of us watched every session).

Many many more after that, I won't bore you. They ruin it, and they enjoy stomping on the pile of rubble they create.

So yes, I'm salty, I'm very salty. Sometimes I feel like I'm Liam Neeson in a crazy, screwed-up soccer-specific version of the movie Taken. I've had to develop a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. And I constantly have to fight for my daughter. It's tiring dammit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. NoGoal

NoGoal

Ratings:
    +3,294 / 61
    In some cases it is a cash grab, because there are players on D-F teams who are better off playing for a local club which cost less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NoGoal

NoGoal

Ratings:
    +3,294 / 61
    I will admit this, I enjoyed seeing the ulittle parents who thought their DD were "IT" from U9-U12. Then came Uolders and seeing those same parents wonder what the hell happened to their DDs.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  7. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay DA

Ratings:
    +7,083 / 100
    I'm sure that you remember how much stuff that I had to deal with. I chuckle a little. I'm more sad though that the kids had to suffer. Most people make bad decisions when they refuse to get all of the needed information.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. ATRTDT

ATRTDT SILVER

Ratings:
    +69 / 5
    But were those girls really ever it?

Did they actually dominate or take over the game or was it just their parents using shiny trophy's and medals as a smoke screen? All this delusion must sprout from a certain event.

Sports take hard work and dedication. Not growing up my self around soccer it seems not to follow other sports pecking order.

Sports during the "Big 3 era" (Baseball, Basketball, Football) some years ago it was very easy to tell if a player "had it" or could play at an "Elite" level. I dont under stand the grey area here or maybe things have changed in the participation trophy era. Does everyone just live a pipe dream thinking D1 schools and the USNT is realistically obtainable for every boy/girl on the field? I mean some of these coaches must be great salesmen because 90% of the parents seems to be drinking that koolaid. Its kinda hard to blame the sport or the process when its the parents fault........

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. LASTMAN14

LASTMAN14

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 22
    Salty comes in moments for me. Just like life. When diving into a margarita:D from my favorite Mexican restaurant(s) does not always start off so sweet. In fact that first taste of salt hits my palate and I cringe, and the floater on top is something else. But, with in a few minutes those active ingredients begin to congeal and the real flavor of the margarita presents it self and I remember why I order them. It's like soccer there are moments that there may be friction, anger, disappointment that make us cringe. Yet there is so much we enjoy about it and the fun we get out of watching our kids play the game.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RedHawk

RedHawk

Ratings:
    +288 / 4
    I feel like I'm reading a Timbuck post. Is this his alias? Some posters are better off being Lurkers!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,657 / 48
    Nope. If I'm going to be hide behind a a fake name on the internet, I'm going to use my original fake name.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    Interesting how the parents are to blame here - better to take a look at the coaches and DOC's for some clarity. Youth soccer is the only "business" I know where there is no accountability to the customer that is paying for the service and adults in "power" behave in ways that are harmful to children.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. MakeAPlay

MakeAPlay DA

Ratings:
    +7,083 / 100
    I agree with you 100% but we can't abdicate the responsibility for our children to somebody else. I only have one daughter and one son and wouldn't be willing to take a mulligan with either....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sheriff Joe

Sheriff Joe

Ratings:
    +11,271 / 188
    People just don't know what they don't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +1,105 / 32
    Agree absolutely - forever watchful and protecting my DDs - despite risking the retaliation that comes from making the tough but best decisions

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. clubfees

clubfees BRONZE

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I enjoy your posts. Can you tell me what you see happen with Uolders?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. JackZ

JackZ SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +150 / 1
    Welcome, keep posting, the more the merrier!
    There are those out there that are that delusional, believe it. Those rose-tinted glasses do work wonders.

Personally, moving from the U littles to the U olders and the ever expanding roster size has been interesting thus far, to say the least.

• Like Like x 1
  18. outside!

outside! PREMIER

Ratings:
    +2,188 / 40
    While I agree with you in regards to youth soccer, I can think of plenty of businesses that have no accountability to customers. As MAP has pointed out, we parents are the only ones that always look out for our children's best interests.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. ajaxahi

ajaxahi SILVER

Ratings:
    +231 / 2
    Love the metaphor Lastman14. Could have done without the floater in the margarita image. Might want to try a new restaurant. :eek:

20. CaliKlines

CaliKlines Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +818 / 24
    Ajax, although no one can put words into LM14's mouth, I believe he is referring to a Grand Marnier float on top of his Cadillac margarita. I was having an adult beverage in Morro Bay last night while reading his post. He described it so well, I had to change my order. Thanks LM.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2