Rule Changes for League/Tournament Play

1dad2boys

SILVER
Have the local referee associations or league commissioners announced when/if the new rules will go into effect? Summer tournaments in July? Start of league in September?

I asked our ref before or game this weekend which rules we were using. He said “FIFA”
I asked “goal kicks inside the area are ok?”
He said “yes”.
Nobody attempted it in our games. So hard to say what they were enforcing.

It is hit and miss with summer tournaments. I have already worked a few games with the 2019/20 LOTG. Had a goal scored when the defender intercepted a lightly kicked goal kick inside the penalty area. The new rule the players have bitch about the most have been the uncontested dropped ball. The defending team bitches about having to move away from the drop ball area. I have had no problems moving attackers out of the wall.

I really hope the referee training on the new LOTG is better this week than the training last week. Instructor did a horrible job, put out incorrect information, could barely hear him, read right off the slides and the projector was worse that a 1980 crappy transparency projector (could hardly see the presentation). I was not going to attend the training this week, but know this association provides quality training. Hopefully the refs from last week attend this weeks training, so you don’t get refs that are not up to speed on the changes.

Goal kick
Dropball
Handball
Where to leave the field if you are subbed off
Coaches can be carded

I think these are the changes. Might be a few more.

There are several with no impact to youth soccer (VAR, etc). Here are two more that will come up.
If you win the coin toss, you can choose the ball.
With a wall of 3 or more, no attackers within 1 meter.

Have the local referee associations or league commissioners announced when/if the new rules will go into effect? Summer tournaments in July? Start of league in September?
I was at a tournament and the director of refs dude was there watching refs... I asked him and he said they were not in effect for summer or for tournaments but went into effect at the start of league play. I can't remember his name... Gene? I don't know. Someone said he was important and he was very definitive in what he told me... lol.

So far in 3 Super Y games in June, we’ve had three different experiences. 1st game, rule changes not enforced. 2nd game, rule changes WERE enforced. 3rd game, only some of the rule changes were enforced.

Very inconsistent. It seems like with Super Y it is strictly up the the ref crew.

Refs that do my sons 2008 team can’t figure out if we’re able to header or not. Rules within the same tournament are changing from ref to ref. Very frustrating. Good luck implementing these changes.

So far in 3 Super Y games in June, we’ve had three different experiences. 1st game, rule changes not enforced. 2nd game, rule changes WERE enforced. 3rd game, only some of the rule changes were enforced.

Very inconsistent. It seems like with Super Y it is strictly up the the ref crew.
Considering very little training has occurred so far this makes total sense. i would expect that most refs at all levels by League would be up to speed. Of course the high end refs in high end tourneys I would expect are up to speed now

Refs that do my sons 2008 team can’t figure out if we’re able to header or not. Rules within the same tournament are changing from ref to ref. Very frustrating. Good luck implementing these changes.

Yeah 2008’s are going through that transition right now where come the Fall Season they should be allowed to head the ball as long as it single year age groups.

My ‘06 dealt with it a couple of years ago. My ‘08 is playing Rec so he is still playing with ‘09’s that aren’t allowed to.

Back