Remember when Playing in Surf Cup was Special.....

I remember being the remote! My dad calling me to change the channel. Then hold the attenna so the reception was clearer.

8c1ml.jpg

Seriously for players Surf is special for young players first time they play, or even later on when they are still playing on Monday.

Having two kids playing on Monday was special for me even though I was exhausted from running around at ~ 10 games over 3 days or something like that, took a couple more days off after that year and spent some time unwinding on the water.

It still pretty Special if you ask me! My daughters team won Surf Cup White last year and they were not an ECNL or even a Pre-Academy Team. She was still so excited to have the jacket and the title. Even though her team was the Best of the Second Best, they beat out some super strong teams, played very high level soccer all weekend and she was very proud of her team! There were a lot of College Coaches at the field and at the end of the day...isn't that what we are paying for? Exposure still great for good teams that are not ECNL and Surf Cup still turned away PLENTY of teams at every age bracket! Looking forward to it next weekend!

The old Surf Cup was so so much better. For those who never experienced it, it's difficult to explain.
The Polo fields were perfect, no fertilizer smell giving you headaches, although an occasional wiff of the horses was never offensive. Boys and girls played on the same weekend, same venue, that made it easy for friends and families. Everyone hung out to watch intense games. The level of play was top notch.
Sure miss the old Surf Cup.

Did Slammers FC boycott Surf Cup. They used to be one of those clubs that always had a team in the finals.... what happened to Slammers (Newport)?

Did Slammers FC boycott Surf Cup. They used to be one of those clubs that always had a team in the finals.... what happened to Slammers (Newport)?
A follow up (off topic) question---Slammers and their affiliated teams have a fairly large footprint but is there a reason why there isn't a Slammers affiliated team in San Diego?

Oh that makes sense.
The old Surf Cup everyone feared playing Slammers, Surf or Blues. And even Samba ( Real So Cal)On the boys side it was Strikers, Arsenal, Real So Cal and Pats. (Nomads, Barca and Albion too)People would gather to watch those top teams play....there were these rivalries all over the place. Out of state teams were coming from across the country. It was an elite tourney back then, that is for sure!

Oh that makes sense.
The old Surf Cup everyone feared playing Slammers, Surf or Blues. And even Samba ( Real So Cal)On the boys side it was Strikers, Arsenal, Real So Cal and Pats. (Nomads, Barca and Albion too)People would gather to watch those top teams play....there were these rivalries all over the place. Out of state teams were coming from across the country. It was an elite tourney back then, that is for sure!

Elite is relative. My son played on a team that got a last-minute invitation because one So Cal entrant won USYS Far West regionals and had a conflict between Surf Cup and Nationals. His team won their group against three State Cup champions from east of the Mississippi, then got bumped by the B team of the team that left.

Back