Ref Shortage

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by NickName, Oct 7, 2019.

1. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,761 / 50
    Someone who was reffing because they needed the extra cash, can now drive an Uber/Doordash for similar money and be left alone all day.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. sweeperkeeper

sweeperkeeper BRONZE

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Not really.... Driving for Uber/DoorDash is nowhere near the same amount. Not to mention that is you want to drive during the busy times (late night Friday/Sat) you are dealing with drunks in your car.

Let's say a AR is getting 20 per hour. Not many drivers are getting that consistently with Uber. There is much down time where as a ref you get a some games and are able to plan the rest of the day around it.

Throw in some CR games and you are making way more than you would driving.

3. Definitelynotanotherref

Definitelynotanotherref SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +186 / 5
    I agree that there are bad refs and bad parents... BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT. I have seen plenty of bad refs become good refs, but I would bet that most bad parents do not become good parents.

The main thing that creates good refs is experience. But if bad refs are abused and quit before they ever get experience, then you won't get many good refs.

All in all, bad parents are a result of being a subpar human being, whereas bad refs are usually not.
    The $30-40 (closer to 20 on the low end) an hour is more of the "entry-level" job starting wage. And that wage is only that high because of the immense demand and meager supply of refs due to mostly parent abuse. So even bad parents are to blame for the high wages that supposed lazy and "incompetent" referees get. As referees get more experience and competence, they get higher wages in other leagues, like over 50 dollars an hour all the way to 250 dollars a game for college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tommy Tar

Tommy Tar BRONZE

Ratings:
    +1 / 1
    A driver can work 7 day a week if he or she wants to. 3 games on Saturday and 3 games on Sunday @ $20 a game is little more that gas money and a movie.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Grace T.

Grace T. GOLD

Ratings:
    +797 / 10
    most refs I’ve seen or worked with are good people. But a substantial portion of them aren’t. I’ve seen refs that don’t give an f and are just there for the buck. I’ve worked with a holes that are sexist, get frustrated with my baby ref status or are just mean. One ref I worked with had alcohol on his breath (maybe the parents drove him to drink). Some didn’t care to get up to speed on the rules, and get offended when I point out a change. A few have been out of shape. I’ve suspected a couple of bias. And quite a few have been tyrants. Some I suspect but am not sure have the stamina, mental strength, quickness of mind or (like in my case) line of sight to every be really good

I’ve also seen parents improve. I’m one of them (maybe because of my ref and soccer writing experience). Even our dear friend Luis shows some sign of growth (though it depends where you start and not everyone is capable of growth).

I think your generalizations have a kernel of truth but like all stereotypes also aren’t completely accurate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Surfref

Surfref PREMIER

Ratings:
    +2,426 / 29
    I worked four games today and made $220.

7. Frank

Frank SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +340 / 12
    4 for $274 for me....

8. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +3,761 / 50
    Did anyone threaten to kill you? Or question your character and/or eyesight?

9. Frank

Frank SILVER ELITE

Ratings:
    +340 / 12
    Always. That’s a standard weekend. This weekend it was a b10 tier 3 parent because in a 1 man Ref game I couldn’t see a ball that may have gone out of bounds by an eyelash.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. TangoCity

TangoCity GOLD

Ratings:
    +704 / 13
    Who is making only $20 per game?