Ref Calls

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Knowing that many (feels like most) threads on this board seem to devolve into personal attacks I tend to stick to viewing rather than posting.

Im a bit bored and would like to get the input of folks (refs) out there on the following 2 videos. Both involve keepers but neither have to do with the other.

First:
Ball played to the keeper, easy play. Keeper drops it and attacker runs in and makes contact with the keeper as he picks it up a second time. Yellow called

Second:
No call

On the second, the keeper's lucky he got a hand on it...otherwise it would have been a PK and a yellow against the keeper.

I would have called PK against the keeper in video #2, and likely a red card as he essentially tackles offensive player after the ball was gone. I'll give benefit of the doubt to referee that there was contact in video #1.

1st one: I'm fine with either yellow or no yellow. The kid did expose his cleat and stabbed in the air, so it can be considered reckless. Depends on the temperature of the game.
In the 2nd one, it took a lot of replays, but it seems like the kid is falling before the keeper even reaches him. He is making an awkward movement to kick the ball at an unexpected angle in order to score a goal, he is off balance and falling before contact. That kick with the outside of the foot was his shot, so he wasn't planning on continuing. You can see that he is not rattled by the keepers contact and is more concerned whether or not his shot was going to go into the goal. No foul.

In the first video I think it depends on how the game was going and perhaps how that player had been playing. Sometimes that yellow is a result of cumulative reckless behavior. Maybe the kid was already on the ref's radar. I didn't see the studs up, but if that was the case then yeah, yellow is deserved. If not, the yellow might have been a bit quick in my opinion.

In the second video I agree with the last post that watching it in slow motion, it appeared the player was going down before the keeper got there. Also, I thought the defender might have pulled him down? Definitely the defender could have been called for yanking on his arm from behind. But hard to judge in real time. I think no card was the right call.

These are interesting clips to learn from.

On the second clip the Keeper appropriately starts running for the ball at the moment it is kicked too far in front of the offensive player and makes a completely reasonable attempt to get the ball. Where is the other angle of the play? LOL Foul no. Fearless goalkeeping yes. I have seen my Keeper do this many many times and at times I hear parents say "Protect our Keeper" and I most of the time think...she put herself into that predicament and there isn't really much an offensive player can do to stop running into the Keeper just from the sheer momentum to get to the ball first.

Back