ref accountablity .

I don't give a crap if the parents know the LOTG. I only care that the players and coaches have a basic understanding. If little Susie's grandmother comes to watch the game, she more than likely will not know the LOTG and just wants to see Susie kick the ball.

My job as a referee is to be the expert on the LOTG and how to interpret and apply them. Most players and coaches only have a rudimentary understanding of the LOTG. The last thing any referee wants is a player that is a LOTG expert. My daughter is a college player and referee(since she was 12y/o) who knows the LOTG well enough to be on a Surf Cup BU18 and a BU17 finals crew. She talks/questions referees in "referee language" and knows what refs are looking at, their positioning, and how far to push the LOTG without getting called for a foul. I have seen her foul opponents in a way that the referee does not see or thinks the player went down on their own. I have seen her talk a referee out of giving a card to one of her teammates on two occasions. I have also seen her commit Yellow card offenses, which I was not happy about, off the ball that the CR and ARs had no clue what happened. Her comments on those offenses was that the referee was not calling the fouls and keeping her teammates safe so she had to be the enforcer.

So, just be a parent and cheer for your kid. Let the referees, coaches and players do their jobs. We know the referee, coach, and player are going to make mistakes, so just accept it and be glad you get to watch your kid.

Voice of reason, well said.

Back