Recruiting Tips for Parents Just Starting the Process

and what is your experience then? How can you say I am wrong when this is what our experience has been - direct communication with many colleges that have expressed this and DOC's from club confirming.

If there are 14 scholarships and 30 + on the roster how do you see that playing out?

Is that official? I looked up on line and this is what it said for this year:

Women’s Soccer Dead Periods  December 15, 2018 - January 5, 2019.  November 12-15, 2018 (Monday through Thursday of the initial week for the signing of the National Letter of Intent).

Mark Ziegler at U-T says McManus told him that the violations involved giving the team "pizza money".
Story said it was "infraction" so its not a major violation. Probably low monetary amount so its probably a metaphor to say "pizza money".

The fact that BM was dismissed implies more than pizza money. There must have been more to the story.

By self disclosing the infraction to NCAA, the remedy will most likely less severe.

To say hope no one is going to UCSD is a bit of an over statement, don't you think? Its a fine institution with excellent academic credentials. It is a university and is still D2 today, and is a non-TV, non-revenue generating sports.

Story said it was "infraction" so its not a major violation. Probably low monetary amount so its probably a metaphor to say "pizza money".

The fact that BM was dismissed implies more than pizza money. There must have been more to the story.

By self disclosing the infraction to NCAA, the remedy will most likely less severe.

To say hope no one is going to UCSD is a bit of an over statement, don't you think? Its a fine institution with excellent academic credentials. It is a university and is still D2 today, and is a non-TV, non-revenue generating sports.

They are in transition to D1. I believe they start play in the Big West starting in 2020. Then they have a 4 year ban on any post season. Add that they will have a new head coach and who knows what that means for the long-term assistants and it makes it very difficult for any 2019's to commit.

They are in transition to D1. I believe they start play in the Big West starting in 2020. Then they have a 4 year ban on any post season. Add that they will have a new head coach and who knows what that means for the long-term assistants and it makes it very difficult for any 2019's to commit.
I hope it does not have a negative effect on the current players and incoming freshman.

He wasn't dismissed - he resigned as coach and retired from the University. McManus had already announced he was retiring soon. Maybe he saw this as the last straw.

"It was over a period of the last few years, once or maybe twice a season after late-night games the players would go for pizza and I would give them money out of my pocket – $50 or $60. That’s it."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...occer-brian-mcmanus-pizza-20180810-story.html

NCAA regulations are not often written with the benefit of the student-athletes in mind.

First and foremost, this is women's soccer at a college. Not D1 basketball or football looking at $$$$$ at professional sports after college. From student's perspective, what is the number one priority?

..... it makes it very difficult for any 2019's to commit.

If UCSD is the right school educationally, then so what. You would not select a school of choice because of soccer coaching change and exclusion from NCAA tournament after 2020 for 4 years??

I hope it does not have a negative effect on the current players and incoming freshman.

Will psychologically have impact, most likely, but in the context of the big picture, what are alternatives... The program is not being terminated. There is a new coaching search. Coaches change all the time.

He wasn't dismissed - he resigned as coach and retired from the University. McManus had already announced he was retiring soon. Maybe he saw this as the last straw.

"It was over a period of the last few years, once or maybe twice a season after late-night games the players would go for pizza and I would give them money out of my pocket – $50 or $60. That’s it."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...occer-brian-mcmanus-pizza-20180810-story.html

NCAA regulations are not often written with the benefit of the student-athletes in mind.
If he resigned, its a matter of formality. It clearly reads that they were going to have to take action.

Having worked in the aerospace industry for years dealing with the government personnel and ethics laws involving public servants, I clearly understand the intent and ridiculousness of implementation due to language. NCAA rules are bit like that too - I get it.

Its too bad that he is forced out on a trivial rule. It amounts to $2~3/player per incidence. If he did it 10x, then its $20~30/player over time. Given the precedence, he would not have been required to be forced out. Sounds like the school overreacted a bit, if its truly only pizza money as indicated.

At the end of the story, it quotes the following:

"The most famous NCAA infractions case involving pizza came in the early 2000s at Utah with Rick Majerus, the legendary men’s basketball coach who died in 2012. He was accused of paying for players’ meals after practice and during film sessions, constituting impermissible benefits.

Thomas Yeager, the head of the NCAA infractions committee, admitted “these were not five-course meals or steak meals at the finest restaurant in town.” Utah was penalized a basketball scholarship while Majerus was ordered to attend a regional NCAA compliance seminar.

“I guess the only thing I should have done was said, ‘You owe me $9 for the ham and eggs and sausage,’” Majerus said at the time. “I’ve got to think with my head and not with my heart.”

If he resigned, its a matter of formality. It clearly reads that they were going to have to take action.

Having worked in the aerospace industry for years dealing with the government personnel and ethics laws involving public servants, I clearly understand the intent and ridiculousness of implementation due to language. NCAA rules are bit like that too - I get it.

Its too bad that he is forced out on a trivial rule. It amounts to $2~3/player per incidence. If he did it 10x, then its $20~30/player over time. Given the precedence, he would not have been required to be forced out. Sounds like the school overreacted a bit, if its truly only pizza money as indicated.

At the end of the story, it quotes the following:

"The most famous NCAA infractions case involving pizza came in the early 2000s at Utah with Rick Majerus, the legendary men’s basketball coach who died in 2012. He was accused of paying for players’ meals after practice and during film sessions, constituting impermissible benefits.

Thomas Yeager, the head of the NCAA infractions committee, admitted “these were not five-course meals or steak meals at the finest restaurant in town.” Utah was penalized a basketball scholarship while Majerus was ordered to attend a regional NCAA compliance seminar.

“I guess the only thing I should have done was said, ‘You owe me $9 for the ham and eggs and sausage,’” Majerus said at the time. “I’ve got to think with my head and not with my heart.”

My son ran afoul of NCAA regulations even before he enrolled. A few days before practice started his Freshman year, he accepted an invitation to preseason "captain's camp". For a few days before the dorm rooms were provided for incoming players, he slept on a sofa in the team captain's apartment - and didn't pay any rent. The campus compliance officer found out about it and informed him of his violation of "receiving impermissible benefits". His punishment was to make a small donation to a charity (breast cancer research, I think). I didn't hear if anyone else was cited.

A few years later, a high school teammate visited the campus, and I got a chance to laugh at a few other NCAA restrictions. His official visit was going to time out before a Sunday afternoon game, so the Assistant Coach made sure he was off campus in time - across the street at a drug store parking lot. I met him there and took him into the game. That same weekend, I had taken them both out to dinner and the visitor gave me $10 so that I was not giving him a benefit by buying his meal.

My son ran afoul of NCAA regulations even before he enrolled. A few days before practice started his Freshman year, he accepted an invitation to preseason "captain's camp". For a few days before the dorm rooms were provided for incoming players, he slept on a sofa in the team captain's apartment - and didn't pay any rent. The campus compliance officer found out about it and informed him of his violation of "receiving impermissible benefits". His punishment was to make a small donation to a charity (breast cancer research, I think). I didn't hear if anyone else was cited.

A few years later, a high school teammate visited the campus, and I got a chance to laugh at a few other NCAA restrictions. His official visit was going to time out before a Sunday afternoon game, so the Assistant Coach made sure he was off campus in time - across the street at a drug store parking lot. I met him there and took him into the game. That same weekend, I had taken them both out to dinner and the visitor gave me $10 so that I was not giving him a benefit by buying his meal.

You co-conspirator you.

My impression of USCD is they always recruited well because they were the strongest DII school academically in So Cal. Will that translate to DI? Even absent the playoff ban, I hadn't pegged them them as an NCAA tournament team right away.

They will also rank very strong academically among SoCal D1 schools, so who knows what may happen in a few years? They certainly will rank above SDSU academically, and perhaps on the pitch as well in a few years.

At the risk of being attacked again by Soccer43 I will share that my daughter committed today! It has been a long road but finally getting her the exposure of playing DA (ECNL would have offered the same exposure) made the difference. Multiple coaches have told us that they wish she had moved to ECNL earlier in her career. Instead we stayed at our smaller club one or two years too long. Frankly, I had bought into the philosophy that it does not matter what league she plays in, the coaches will find her. While in concept this can happen, in reality is it much easier getting there playing ECNL or DA because that is where the coaches go to recruit. The good news is that we did move and it all worked out. She is going to get to study the major of her choice and still play soccer at a school of her choice.

Back