Rankings

Gragg

BRONZE
With US Soccer rankings not available, and Got Soccer rankings inaccurate for the most part, I would like to see peoples opinion on who they would rank in the top ten for 2003 girls. I know there is alot of soccer left, but wanted to get an early gauge. I know it sounds like a cliche but this age group seems to be very strong. IMHO here is my rankings (just the eyeball test that may need glasses):

• Surf (Nice Spring Season and tournament results);
  • Strikers OC ( See comment above, one tie and one loss to Surf-the new minister of defense);
  • Blues (this may change on who is actually on the team; Won Legends and West Coast);
  • Arsenal (see Blues comment above, Won Surf Cup);
  • West Coast (West Coast Finalist seems to be improving rapidly);
  • Beach Demelo (solid team);
  • Legends (not far off on many of the top 5);
  • DMCV Sharks Elite, Slammers FC, Real So Cal, CZ elite, LA Galaxy Elite, Strikers-OC EGSL. (All teams are solid and could play with anyone).
Any thoughts?

Good start I think - if Arsenal plays with all of their 2003 girls...for me, they are the cream of the crop and clearly the team to beat!

Other than that...I think there are a cluster of teams that based on the "eye-ball test" seem to be at or near the top...which your list captures.

Missing from your list....I would add in Beach Hodson and Eagles based on the games I was able to watch this summer.

Should be a fun year for sure...and looking forward to seeing every team and player progress out on the field!

Now this is a juicy question.....too bad Tech cannot come in and give us a nice write-up for each team. Generik can share his spreadsheets, but those are mostly incomplete with the age changes....check back with him come December.

Okay, I will bite and try to answer a question that cannot be answered at this point.......

First off, there are levels of teams at the G03 (now U14) age group that should be listed. The top flight are the ECNL teams, then the Flight 1 teams/CSL Gold teams/Presidio teams/Flight 2/Flight 3, etc. I think the best teams at this time are the ECNL teams. However, not all ECNL teams may be at their best right now, so an SCDSL, CSL, Presidio team could knock off an ECNL team. My dd's EGSL team has already beat two ECNL teams this summer, but both games were very close.

That being said, I would rank the teams as such:

ECNL
Top Teams: Blues, Surf, Strikers and Arsenal
Middling Teams: Slammers, Real So Cal, West Coast and Eagles

Tier 1 / CSL Gold / Presidio
Top Teams: LAG South Bay, LAG San Diego, SDSC Navy, Legends Academy, Beach DeMelo and Hodson, CZ Elite (with the two discovery players playing for them), Strikers EGSL, Surf EGSL.....
***These are teams I have seen play in person. There are many others that would give the teams above a tough game (IE Surf, Golden State, FRAM), but I have not watched them for more than a minute or two here and there.

If I had to choose one team based on what I have seen this summer to win one game, I would take Arsenal ECNL. But I also saw that team at Surf Cup with "guest" players, so who really knows.

Once the Fall seasons start, we should have a better sense of the top teams.

Good start I think - if Arsenal plays with all of their 2003 girls...for me, they are the cream of the crop and clearly the team to beat!

Other than that...I think there are a cluster of teams that based on the "eye-ball test" seem to be at or near the top...which your list captures.

Missing from your list....I would add in Beach Hodson and Eagles based on the games I was able to watch this summer.

Should be a fun year for sure...and looking forward to seeing every team and player progress out on the field!

Arsenal "Cream of the crop" ? We shall find out during ECNL league who the real Big dog is...

do the 03 girls that play up on the 02 ECNL teams have to choose which team to play for in the fall? (03 ecnl team or 02 ecnl team?)

do the 03 girls that play up on the 02 ECNL teams have to choose which team to play for in the fall? (03 ecnl team or 02 ecnl team?)
From what I understand (which isn't always clear on my part!) the 03 play-ups on 02 ECNL rosters are able to play-down to their true age 03 ECNL team (within their own club) during the season if they are not playing games on their 02 team on that same day - so I believe there are days/games where those girls may be seen out with the 03 ECNL team if the players/coaches choose to do so.

Don't quote me on that...and if anyone else is the wiser - please feel free to correct me.

Since teams play their league games the same day, vs the same club, my guess is you won't see it much in league.

I would be surprised if any ECNL team or Tier 1 team has a dominate league record. There is not that much separation between these teams.

What I think will be most interesting is how do these teams look once DA is open? Each of these ECNL and Tier 1 teams could look much different at this time next year.

With the age change this year and the DA coming in next year, there is so little consistency with rosters. There are positives and negatives with the roster turnover, but it makes it harder for the players and parents to develop a long-term friendship the way this is going. I think it also hurts the players in developing rapport with their teammates.

I have to keep reminding myself, it's a journey....enjoy the ride!

From what I understand (which isn't always clear on my part!) the 03 play-ups on 02 ECNL rosters are able to play-down to their true age 03 ECNL team (within their own club) during the season if they are not playing games on their 02 team on that same day - so I believe there are days/games where those girls may be seen out with the 03 ECNL team if the players/coaches choose to do so.

Don't quote me on that...and if anyone else is the wiser - please feel free to correct me.
You are correct.

Can a 2003 ECNL player leave her current club to play with a 2002 ECNL club's team? What are the restrictions for playing up?

This Fall season will change everyone perspectives on current rankings... But does it really matter? Next Fall it all changes once again when all of the best Players will leave current top teams and join Girls academy teams. This year is just another development year and rankings make no difference.

Can a 2003 ECNL player leave her current club to play with a 2002 ECNL club's team? What are the restrictions for playing up?

I am by no means an ECNL expert, but I don't believe there are any restrictions on a player playing up an age group or two. Some examples that I know of, the Slammers 03 ECNL team has at least one 04 on the roster. The Blues 03 ECNL team has at least two players playing up. I believe there are at least two 03 girls playing on the 02 Arsenal ECNL team and at least one 03 girl playing up on the Blues 02 ECNL team. Not that I am stalking or anything (please move along, nothing to see here).

I think your question may also be asking if an 03 ECNL player can move from her current club to another club to play up on an 02 ECNL team. If that is what you are asking, I am not sure what the player movement rules/restrictions are for ECNL. I am sure the ECNL website has this information (http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/).

I don't believe a current 03 ECNL player can move from her current club to another club to play up on an 02 ECNL team.. US Club does not explicitly prevent players from requesting a mid-year release and joining another US Club team.

1. Player has to completely leave current team.
2. Player can not dual roster for two separate US Soccer club teams that are in ECNL.
3. IF discovery player, yes, you can dual roster but your current team can not be a participating ECNL club.

I don't believe a current 03 ECNL player can move from her current club to another club to play up on an 02 ECNL team.. US Club does not explicitly prevent players from requesting a mid-year release and joining another US Club team.

1. Player has to completely leave current team.
2. Player can not dual roster for two separate US Soccer club teams that are in ECNL.
3. IF discovery player, yes, you can dual roster but your current team can not be a participating ECNL club.

That is how I understand it too....ECNL players are locked in to their teams now...and can only play for sister club ECNL teams if they are dual rostered.

Discovery players, by definition, are dual-rostered on ECNL and non-ECNL squads already.

With US Soccer rankings not available, and Got Soccer rankings inaccurate for the most part, I would like to see peoples opinion on who they would rank in the top ten for 2003 girls. I know there is alot of soccer left, but wanted to get an early gauge. I know it sounds like a cliche but this age group seems to be very strong. IMHO here is my rankings (just the eyeball test that may need glasses):

• Surf (Nice Spring Season and tournament results);
  • Strikers OC ( See comment above, one tie and one loss to Surf-the new minister of defense);
  • Blues (this may change on who is actually on the team; Won Legends and West Coast);
  • Arsenal (see Blues comment above, Won Surf Cup);
  • West Coast (West Coast Finalist seems to be improving rapidly);
  • Beach Demelo (solid team);
  • Legends (not far off on many of the top 5);
  • DMCV Sharks Elite, Slammers FC, Real So Cal, CZ elite, LA Galaxy Elite, Strikers-OC EGSL. (All teams are solid and could play with anyone).
Any thoughts?

US Soccer Rankings is back up.
Your eyeball test was pretty accurate 3 months ago. A few teams have dropped down a bit.

Back