Quick Question - Is there a concussion clearance form

G03_SD

SILVER ELITE
Our player was hit today. CalSouth wanted her to get checked out, and kept her player card. DR cleared her, no concussion. Is there a form? What is the procedure for her to play tomorrow?

The doctor's note with specific statements saying that she does not have a concussion and is clear for all physical activity with no restrictions. I had to go through the exact same scenario twice, once was easy and straightforward, the second the doctor wanted return to play paperwork but finally relented when we got through to them that it wasn't CIF related and that there was no existing paperwork yet. We submitted the form to Presidio and then her card was "released".

However, I don't have any insight as to whether or not anything was added since last Octoberish, so a form may exist now.

Give me a call or text if you have more questions, pm me or ask someone on the team for my number.

Like Ajaffe above said, a doctor's note that has the magic words "no restrictions" and "clear" will be needed. I have twin goalies (boy & girl) and both have had a concussion recently. My son got his during CSL League Cup play. He was out for a month and then we got the clearance from our doctor.
My daughter got her concussion during ODP tryouts of all places (and by one of her club teammates, oops). She had a nice golf ball size bump on her forehead and no one notice until after the tryouts. Her's was deemed minor and she was out for 2 weeks then got the magic doctor's notice.
Neither players' card was pulled though. Strange for my son since it was a League Cup game but not for my daughter since ODP didn't have her card.

The doctor's note with specific statements saying that she does not have a concussion and is clear for all physical activity with no restrictions. I had to go through the exact same scenario twice, once was easy and straightforward, the second the doctor wanted return to play paperwork but finally relented when we got through to them that it wasn't CIF related and that there was no existing paperwork yet. We submitted the form to Presidio and then her card was "released".

However, I don't have any insight as to whether or not anything was added since last Octoberish, so a form may exist now.

Give me a call or text if you have more questions, pm me or ask someone on the team for my number.
Thanks, we got the dr note and emailed it to Cal South.

The clearance has to be for the same day as the visit. No "clear to play in 2 days" or anything like that. Also, if there was a concussion, there is a required protocol for returning that takes about a week after symptoms cease.

Hopefully the player is fine. The second concussion can be quite harmful if the first isn't allowed to fully heal.

The clearance has to be for the same day as the visit. No "clear to play in 2 days" or anything like that. Also, if there was a concussion, there is a required protocol for returning that takes about a week after symptoms cease.

Hopefully the player is fine. The second concussion can be quite harmful if the first isn't allowed to fully heal.
Totally agree. Even though the player is cleared, try to limit the use of computers or cell phones for a week or so. I know that's a hard task with teenagers in today's world. My son was doing good the 1st few days then got headaches from using the computer at school and I had to pull him out for a day. It was a minor set back, but those 2 things can trigger something not good in the brain.

With concussions being such hi visibility, I am really surprised that Cal South does not have a standardized form they want completed by the doctor. The last page of the Cal South Information sheet does give some vague guidance.

http://media.calsouth.com/data/Down...sionParentFactSheet5.25.17V4.ENG.pdf?rev=26CB

I am still surprised at how many coaches give me a hard time when I tell them the player must be taken out of the game and evaluated for a head injury.

Had a girl get rocked in the head by a ball yesterday. She was clearly rattled. Referee took way to long (imo) to blow the whistle and check on her. (Ref let 13 year old girls play like 25 year old men with some of the stuff he let go. Both directions- one of our players should have been carded for a ridiculous foul. No foul. Drop ball. )
I pulled her off the field and did not put her back on. AR on my side said he wouldn’t be surprised if she had a mild concussion.
Nobody took a card. Nobody said anything about concussion protocol.
Player went to the doctor today because she said she was a bit dizzy this morning. He said unlikely she has a concussion, but he gave her a note to skip PE for a few days.
I’m going to require a note before I’ll let her play again.

Had a girl get rocked in the head by a ball yesterday. She was clearly rattled. Referee took way to long (imo) to blow the whistle and check on her. (Ref let 13 year old girls play like 25 year old men with some of the stuff he let go. Both directions- one of our players should have been carded for a ridiculous foul. No foul. Drop ball. )
I pulled her off the field and did not put her back on. AR on my side said he wouldn’t be surprised if she had a mild concussion.
Player went to the doctor today because she said she was a bit dizzy this morning. He said unlikely she has a concussion, but he gave her a note to skip PE for a few days.
Hit in the head hard and was dizzy the next day? What did the doctor state the cause of the dizziness was? I'd send her to a different doctor.

Hit in the head hard and was dizzy the next day? What did the doctor state the cause of the dizziness was? I'd send her to a different doctor.

Unlikely it was a concussion ?!?!?!?! Who was the doctor, Doctor Doolittle ????

Just an update on this-
There were no concussion symptoms but because it was a hard hit, at the request of medical on site, player left the game and saw a doctor at urgent care. Doctor provided a note stating no concussion and signed the letter (letterhead and all). I emailed CS Sat night and brought the letter to the CS tent Sunday to retrieve her card. I was told no concussion clearance on the weekend, and it would take 7-10 days to release her because CS needed to forward to lawyers for review.

Just an update on this-
There were no concussion symptoms but because it was a hard hit, at the request of medical on site, player left the game and saw a doctor at urgent care. Doctor provided a note stating no concussion and signed the letter (letterhead and all). I emailed CS Sat night and brought the letter to the CS tent Sunday to retrieve her card. I was told no concussion clearance on the weekend, and it would take 7-10 days to release her because CS needed to forward to lawyers for review.
Were you in contact with them during the week? I've had it happen 3 times to teams I manage over the last year:

One time the referee suspected a head injury because the player in question wasn't a native english speaker and didn't understand that he was asking her what day of the week it was. She may have lightly tweaked her jaw. She is a player that can sometime embellish things. I reported the incident to the league specifically not as a head injury but an inquiry about whether one was reported by the referee (who actually didn't report it). The league took my inquiry alone as a report of a suspected head injury and put her on the list. The doctor said there was no head injury and the league cleared her immediately when we provided a doctor note. Took 3 days.

The second one was a player who took a fall and lightly hit her head while playing out of state. She complained of a head ache. We kept her out of the remainder of the tournament and the doctor put her on a recovery protocol when we got home. She gradually returned to play 2 weeks after the possible injury.

The last one was pulled from National Cup on a suspected head injury. The doctor cleared her with a note to immediately resume play and no suspected concussion. She was cleared by Cal-South to return to play the following weekend. Took about 4 days.

In case 1 and 3 I was in constant contact with the competition authorities to make sure we did everything we could to properly protect the player and have her immediately able to return to play when appropriate. In case #2 we worked with the doctor to make sure the player was protected and followed state law. We were between competitions at that time.

My take back after these experiences and the training I've had:
  • This isn't a fad or some part of over-reaching helicopter mom type thing. Concussion awareness is a movement that isn't going away.
  • Head injuries should be taken seriously. This is the brain we're talking about, not a pinkie finger.
  • The second injury is the real risk - make sure the player is healed
  • Make sure the player is being honest about their condition- Don't hide anything and don't fake anything
  • Stay in contact with the competition authority and work in partner with them
  • The team management and player's family should know as soon as possible exactly what will be required for the player to return (time, test and paperwork)
  • Families should be willing to have more than 1 doctor visit
  • No game or competition is worth having a player come back to early from any type of brain injury
  • I don't want to hear the 'tough it out' dad or coach. I tell them that attitude will not get them anywhere and they need to get over it or go away.
It sounds like the player is fine, so that is good.

Thinking back to when I was a kid - I'm not sure I would have even known what a headache was.
I used to crash my bmx bike regularly without a helmet. I'm sure there was at least one that likely resulted in a concussion. And probably with adults watching.
I was definitely knocked out cold playing tackle football more than once. Took a few plays off and was back the game.
A few other injuries that happen as kids that you don't realize what is happening until it has passed:
1. Getting the wind knocked out of you. When it happens "Oh my god. I can't breathe. Am I dying? Why can't I breathe? Did I pop a lung?" And then about 60 seconds later, you are fine again. (This was always more scary to me than getting whacked in the head)
2. Getting a stinger. When it happens, you can't move your body. "Oh no. Am I paralyzed? Is my neck broken? Will I be able to move my arms or legs ever again? Then about 60 seconds later, you are fine.
3. Getting hit in the nose (on purpose or by accident). Put you into a fit of rage once you can see again. Makes you want to destroy anything in front of you.
4. First time you pull or strain a muscle

We had a player (05 Girl) go out at the CRL play in. Took a header from a corner (more on the back of her head) and was dizzy...Cal South pulled her card. Went to doctor the next day and was told concussion, check back when no symptoms. Our last game of the day girl on the opposing team takes a ball directly to the face/head... Looked bad (I believe lost consciousness) taken away in an ambulance. Spoke with her coach after the incident to check on her... her Dr. said no concussion, just take 10 days off. I am not sure all doctors are up to date on concussion symptoms and such.... I'd rather be safe than sorry.... there will be plenty of games to play in their career...

If I was a doctor and someone came to me with a kid that had a head injury or possible head injury- I don’t think I’d ever sign off on them being cleared to play again. I wouldn’t want that responsibility on me if something happened again.

We had a player (05 Girl) go out at the CRL play in. Took a header from a corner (more on the back of her head) and was dizzy...Cal South pulled her card. Went to doctor the next day and was told concussion, check back when no symptoms. Our last game of the day girl on the opposing team takes a ball directly to the face/head... Looked bad (I believe lost consciousness) taken away in an ambulance. Spoke with her coach after the incident to check on her... her Dr. said no concussion, just take 10 days off. I am not sure all doctors are up to date on concussion symptoms and such.... I'd rather be safe than sorry.... there will be plenty of games to play in their career...

I thought they had to be cleared from a doctor that specializes in head injuries/ concussions, and not just some ER doctor. When my daughter suffered a concussion a couple years ago playing college soccer she was required to be cleared by a neurologist and while under concussion protocol had to see the doctor weekly and the teams training staff daily if she was at school. It took her almost a month before she was fully cleared for full contact soccer. The coach eased her back into the practices and games. For the 7-10 after being cleared she just lifted weights, did cardio and the only soccer was with a private trainer to keep her timing. She was pretty messed up when the concussion symptoms finally kicked in about three hours after the foul that caused her to bounce the side of her head off the turf. She missed two weeks of class because she was extremely sensitive to florescent lights and loud noises. Her cognitive functioning did not seem effected, but she did have some really bad headaches for the first 5-7 days. About two weeks after the incident she started going to the teams games and sitting on the bench, but had to wear sunglasses at night because the lights caused her eyes to hurt. The college training staff and coach were wonderful from the moment the injury occurred and worried about her wellbeing and did not rush her back to playing.

Just an update on this-

That's too much interference by Cal South.

CS lawyers need to get involved because California law is focused on protecting the player rather than rushing the player back into competition.

The Youth Sports Concussion Protocols enacted into law by the State of California provides:

California Health and Safety Code section 124235:

(1) An athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or other head injury in an athletic activity shall be immediately removed from the athletic activity for the remainder of the day, and shall not be permitted to return to any athletic activity until he or she is evaluated by a licensed health care provider. The athlete shall not be permitted to return to athletic activity until he or she receives written clearance to return to athletic activity from a licensed health care provider. If the licensed health care provider determines that the athlete sustained a concussion or other head injury, the athlete shall also complete a graduated return-to-play protocol of no less than seven days in duration under the supervision of a licensed health care provider.

“Licensed health care provider” means a licensed health care provider who is trained in the evaluation and management of concussions and is acting within the scope of his or her practice.
Even if the facts are as stated, CS lawyers need to determine whether the urgent care doctor falls within the definition of licensed health care provider.

BTW - I have never seen a supervised "graduated return-to-play protocol of no less than seven days" - just a a lot of parents yelling "I told you not to head the ball" at practice.

We all want to see our DD's play as much as they can but concussions and other injuries need time to heal. As one dad pointed out to me recently, playing hurt - hurts the team.

As a referee, I really don't like that it falls upon the referee to make the initial possible head injury determination. You have refs across the entire spectrum from refs that do not screw around and all head injuries no matter how minor are required to go off and get evaluated, to refs who have the other extreme that think a player must be unconscious to sustain a concussion. If more coaches would be proactive, then the refs would not have to be the head injury judges. I understand why the refs have to cover that job, mainly because some coaches want to win at all costs and cannot be trusted to take their super star player out of the game to get evaluated.

Back