Question Club Pass Rule

Curious...Does anyone know what the rule is related to playing for 2 different teams as a Keeper...I looked in the SCDSL rules and it says something about it being within the same club. What does that mean when you have some clubs with as many locations? Say if Pats Newport Beach wanted to use a Keeper from Pats Irvine, is that permitted? I am really just curious. (Just using Pats as an example because they have several locations...it could be Slammers, or CDA Slammers too.)

Curious...Does anyone know what the rule is related to playing for 2 different teams as a Keeper...I looked in the SCDSL rules and it says something about it being within the same club. What does that mean when you have some clubs with as many locations? Say if Pats Newport Beach wanted to use a Keeper from Pats Irvine, is that permitted? I am really just curious. (Just using Pats as an example because they have several locations...it could be Slammers, or CDA Slammers too.)

It is allowed within same club.
As far as Pats example, all Pats players from different locations are registered under same club, so yes, Pats Newport players CAN play for Pats Irvine.
I can't speak for all the clubs, but pretty much most others can't do this and operate as separate entities.

It is allowed within same club.
As far as Pats example, all Pats players from different locations are registered under same club, so yes, Pats Newport players CAN play for Pats Irvine.
I can't speak for all the clubs, but pretty much most others can't do this and operate as separate entities.
Thanks! I witnessed another club do it (Not Pats ...I changed the name to protect the innocent. LOL) and it just seemed wrong. It doesn't matter enough to me to do any real investigation but it just seemed like you could potentially go to Playoffs or State/National Cup and pick the best Keeper out of say 6 clubs under that are under one umbrella and that just didn't seem fair. Oh well...life isn't fair. LOL Thanks for your info!

Thanks! I witnessed another club do it (Not Pats ...I changed the name to protect the innocent. LOL) and it just seemed wrong. It doesn't matter enough to me to do any real investigation but it just seemed like you could potentially go to Playoffs or State/National Cup and pick the best Keeper out of say 6 clubs under that are under one umbrella and that just didn't seem fair. Oh well...life isn't fair. LOL Thanks for your info!

Interesting.

Is there a publically-visible list maintained somewhere showing which of the multi-city conglomerates that share half a name are also permitted this liberty?

Interesting.

Is there a publically-visible list maintained somewhere showing which of the multi-city conglomerates that share half a name are also permitted this liberty?
My question exactly! There needs to be a definition in the rules as to what "Club" means for purposes of the rules.

No. There are a number of models out there, but the definition of "Club" is a 501(c)(3) that is registered as a "Club" with Cal South and/or the gaming leagues. The two basic models are:

The "Company" Club, where there is a single entity with multiple locations/branches: Arsenal, Legends,
The "Franchise" Club, where there is a "brand" that is licensed to multiple entities: Surf, LA Galaxy, Slammers, etc.

To compound the matter, sometimes a "Company" club has a few "Franchise" locations. For example, Legends and Arsenal both have North and South under the Company umbrella and the other Legends/Arsenal's are franchises (although Legends has a few more company clubs). CDA Slammers have a regions under a single entity and then there are other entities for some of the other locals.

You have to trace it all back to the "entity" operating the club. When looking at the Club Info on the SCDSL site or CSL site, if the names for the DOC are basically the same, then you likely have a "Company" club and "club passing" would be allowed between different locals because the core business unit is the same. If the leadership names are different, then you likely have a "Franchise" club system (e.g. San Diego Surf, Murrieta Surf, OC Surf, etc.) and club passing would not be allowed.

On the CSL side of the fence, the problem can be even more difficult to ascertain because there are/have been a number of CSL "clubs" that were proxy's for other clubs. Thus, a particular club registered with CSL might have multiple team brands playing under its entity. These clubs exist to allow the myriad of small clubs (just a few teams) to enter a gaming league and in theory club passing would be allowed. I've seen this occur most frequently in sparsely populated locations.

This can also be a non-goalkeeper discussion.
Flight 1 team from Club A plays on Saturday. Flight 2 team plays on Sunday. It happens pretty often that the team playing on Sunday will take players on from the Flight 1 team. Especially if there are players missing or injuries. But I've seen some teams show up with 11 players, nobody on the bench. But I know that one of their other teams in the age group is not playing that day. Some teams don't like to share. Some teams would rather just roll with that they have on their roster, regardless of what the result might be.
Now the naming of clubs, affiliates and franchises is where it gets tricky. Can CDA Slammers and Slammers and South Slammers share players? I think the answer is "no", but I could be wrong. Slammers has their own President. South Slammers has their own president. The 7 CDA Slammers clubs all share a President.
Pats is a tricky one. They have 9 different names under the SCDSL Club Directory - http://scdslsoccer.com/club-directory
All 9 of them list the same person as the "Club Director". The all also have the same "VP of Operations". But each group has it's own "Director" that is specific to that area.

No. There are a number of models out there, but the definition of "Club" is a 501(c)(3) that is registered as a "Club" with Cal South and/or the gaming leagues. The two basic models are:

The "Company" Club, where there is a single entity with multiple locations/branches: Arsenal, Legends,
The "Franchise" Club, where there is a "brand" that is licensed to multiple entities: Surf, LA Galaxy, Slammers, etc.

To compound the matter, sometimes a "Company" club has a few "Franchise" locations. For example, Legends and Arsenal both have North and South under the Company umbrella and the other Legends/Arsenal's are franchises (although Legends has a few more company clubs). CDA Slammers have a regions under a single entity and then there are other entities for some of the other locals.

You have to trace it all back to the "entity" operating the club. When looking at the Club Info on the SCDSL site or CSL site, if the names for the DOC are basically the same, then you likely have a "Company" club and "club passing" would be allowed between different locals because the core business unit is the same. If the leadership names are different, then you likely have a "Franchise" club system (e.g. San Diego Surf, Murrieta Surf, OC Surf, etc.) and club passing would not be allowed.

On the CSL side of the fence, the problem can be even more difficult to ascertain because there are/have been a number of CSL "clubs" that were proxy's for other clubs. Thus, a particular club registered with CSL might have multiple team brands playing under its entity. These clubs exist to allow the myriad of small clubs (just a few teams) to enter a gaming league and in theory club passing would be allowed. I've seen this occur most frequently in sparsely populated locations.
Yep...the top guys were the same for the locations that it was related to. Question answered. Thanks!

Back