Prices for tournament parking, souvenirs, food, etc

After stumbling onto this page --

https://www.soccerloco.com/tournaments/cal-south/cal-south-state-cup

my first thought was "Still not as high as Surf Cup 10 years ago", I realized that the prices were much higher than I ever paid for souvenirs at any Surf Cup.

A parent at State Cup games in Oceanside told me that parking price there had gone up from $10 to $12 this year. (I had to ask because I took the Sprinter from the free parking lot in Escondido and walked up the hill - but I was schlepping a kid or two and all their gear.) The official US Government position is that the inflation for the last year is about 2%, not 20%. Maybe they slipped the decimal point?

28279475_1719862538074551_4362790712944133012_n.jpg

It’s just going to keep going up because they can. Pretty soon we will be paying $20 a day. Atleast Silverlakes has something to show for our parking $$ but surf and Oceanside have nothing

People sure do like to bitch.

I don't know why people complain to pay for parking when we have another nice facility like Oceanside available in San Diego County now. If they couldn't charge for parking, they'd close it down. Same goes for Silverlakes. Seriously, it isn't that much to pay for a nice facility. I think some of the venues are having financial difficulty. If so, a slight bump in parking revenue makes sense.

I'm fine paying for parking at those facilities (and a few others). If you want to save money to park, get your games in Apple Valley. Last time I was there, I think it was $5. Hey, there is Hourglass with a few patches of grass still growing and they can squeeze maybe 8 little fields there and I think that you can get away without paying. Hopefully there are no conflicts with the siblings other game at some middle school that has free parking and is 30 minutes away. Ryan has about a dozen fields and parking is free, but there isn't much of it. Of course, people gripe about the grass when parking is free. Free parking and good fields, then they'll find something else to bitch about.

(I had to ask because I took the Sprinter from the free parking lot in Escondido and walked up the hill - but I was schlepping a kid or two and all their gear.)

You did all that so you didn't have to pay for parking? I assume you already had the Sprinter pass for everyone.

I don't know why people complain to pay for parking when we have another nice facility like Oceanside available in San Diego County now.
No facility is nice until they have real bathrooms that flush and have water. My wife would rather drive to Norco than Oceanside from San Diego and I think she has a special deal with the feed store in Del Mar.

On average is costs a facility about $1,000 per acre per month in basic care for a high end fields (bermuda grass, aerate, verticut, mow, fertilize, gopher control, etc.). Add in the cost of water and lining fields and you add another $500 per month per acre. So at $1,500 per acre per month, a facility like Oceanside should have a hard cost of about $78k per month or $936k per year. Add in staff, taxes, insurance, utilities, interest payments, and you have another $50k to $75k of expenses. So, a facility like SoCal needs anywhere between $130k to $150k to break even. Field rental will be about $750 per field per day so you are looking at revenue of about $90k per month assuming 3 weekends at 20 fields per week (fairly high utilization), which SoCal rarely gets.

The only possible way SoCal can hope to break even is to charge parking. That said, SoCal is a unique property in that it has serious issues with ground settling causing it to lose business due to water issues AND because it is south of the I-5 border checkpoint, causing many teams with parents of questionable immigration status to avoid the fields.

Bottom line, I'm not surprised they are charging $12 bucks.

On average is costs a facility about $1,000 per acre per month in basic care for a high end fields (bermuda grass, aerate, verticut, mow, fertilize, gopher control, etc.). Add in the cost of water and lining fields and you add another $500 per month per acre. So at $1,500 per acre per month, a facility like Oceanside should have a hard cost of about $78k per month or $936k per year. Add in staff, taxes, insurance, utilities, interest payments, and you have another $50k to $75k of expenses. So, a facility like SoCal needs anywhere between $130k to $150k to break even. Field rental will be about $750 per field per day so you are looking at revenue of about $90k per month assuming 3 weekends at 20 fields per week (fairly high utilization), which SoCal rarely gets.

The only possible way SoCal can hope to break even is to charge parking. That said, SoCal is a unique property in that it has serious issues with ground settling causing it to lose business due to water issues AND because it is south of the I-5 border checkpoint, causing many teams with parents of questionable immigration status to avoid the fields.

Bottom line, I'm not surprised they are charging $12 bucks.
You do not know what their costs are unless you look at their Development Agreement with the City.

You do not know what their costs are unless you look at their Development Agreement with the City.
I do know what the basic costs are given my experience with other facilities and development projects I have on the board.

I don't know why people complain to pay for parking when we have another nice facility like Oceanside available in San Diego County now. If they couldn't charge for parking, they'd close it down. Same goes for Silverlakes. Seriously, it isn't that much to pay for a nice facility. I think some of The Ranchothe venues are having financial difficulty. If so, a slight bump in parking revenue makes sense.

I'm fine paying for parking at those facilities (and a few others). If you want to save money to park, get your games in Apple Valley. Last time I was there, I think it was $5. Hey, there is Hourglass with a few patches of grass still growing and they can squeeze maybe 8 little fields there and I think that you can get away without paying. Hopefully there are no conflicts with the siblings other game at some middle school that has free parking and is 30 minutes away. Ryan has about a dozen fields and parking is free, but there isn't much of it. Of course, people gripe about the grass when parking is free. Free parking and good fields, then they'll find something else to bitch about.

You did all that so you didn't have to pay for parking? I assume you already had the Sprinter pass for everyone.

I don't know what the "Sprinter Pass for everyone" is. The Rancho del Oro Sprinter station is across the street from the El Corazon location, about a quarter-mile walk uphill to the back of the parking lot. Parking in Escondido is free, and a Senior one-way ticket is $1. My in-laws gave me a ride back down the the station after the game, and another $1 fare got me back to my truck in Escondido.

If the parking were free, I still would have saved money parking in Escondido and $1 Sprinter ride compared to driving 20 miles.

That must be a public document. Is it accessible on line?
It is a public document and the City Council voted to approve it. I thought you had posted it a couple years ago but I am not sure if it is online. Must be a couple hundred pages.

It is a public document and the City Council voted to approve it. I thought you had posted it a couple years ago but I am not sure if it is online. Must be a couple hundred pages.

What I remember from those days is that the city promised the residents a nice park with a few sports fields scattered about. I guess that disappeared in the negotiations.

An unanswered question is about the No Parking signs posted in Seagate Way across from entrance gates. They bear SCSC logos, not Oceanside City or PD. Are those allowed under the agreement (or perhaps required to keep the street clear?)? Would the OPD ticket cars parked there?

The extra $2 you are paying goes to Cal South. The venue has their set parking fee and Cal South wants a piece of the pie too so they tack on the added $2 per day.

Since they opened, parking for State Cup has been the same $10 as for other tournaments.

From SCSC webpage FAQ today --

Parking: $12/day per vehicle, which includes In/Out Privileges. For easy re-entrance, please display your parking pass on your vehicle dashboard. The parking lot opens 1 hour prior to the first game time and closes a half-hour after the last game.

https://www.socalsportscomplex.com/faq-1

@Monkey and @espola, the agreement is here:
http://www.ci.oceanside.ca.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=46599

The basic terms of the Lease Agreement with SC Sports (page 33 of above link) are a 25 year lease with 2 10 year options (2.01) ; pays 10% of gross percentage rent after $1.4M threshold (Section 3.02). Parking is prohibited on surrounding public streets during use (Section 1.09).

The relevance of the $1.4M number is that represents the negotiated "break even" point. Until SoCal Sports has $1.4M in gross revenue, it doesn't pay rent. My estimate above was $78k + $50k = $128k x12 = $1.5M, which is fairly close to the $1.4M number. Hmmm, I must know something after all.

Back