Possession

"Let'em play" is fine as long as what they are letting them play is soccer.

Very clever...yes, I think part of the problem goes back to soccer culture and that many of our refs have imported a football mentality into the game.

On a sidenote, credit to the forwards my DD has played against lately jumping over her in 1 vs 1 situations, and when challenging for the ball stretching out to get a toe on it as opposed to a full swing when all it takes is getting there first before the keeper, not hitting it hard. I've seen a competitive respect as of late towards her in hard challenges and I can appreciate those kids parents and coaches for them teaching them to play hard but with respect for the game.

It's not just for the keeper. If the keeper goes through the legs there a chance of a break or if knocked over a head injury to the striker. One game I saw the keeper came out hard and swept through the legs. The striker tried to be fancy and roll over. The striker got knocked off his feet and went flying into the goal, tumbling head first, and striking his face against back frame of the goal. A roll over can't beat a keeper going at full speed that close (better to chip if you have time or toe pick it in at that distance while the keeper is falling). This is also happening more often because a consensus seems to have built up that goalkeepers should come out fast, because otherwise they are at a disadvantage on the one v one...it wasn't that way 10 years ago when the consensus was keepers should come out low, in stalking position and hold the striker (how I learned it back in the day).

There's an inherent disadvantage in the rules, as surfref pointed out. If the keeper has possession and is fouled, unless the ref gives a red card, the keeper loses possession with his hands and they get a DFK. Best case for the striker, there's no call and it's a goal. It's an inherent problem with the rules but not sure of the fix...automatic red card for attempting to play a ball in the possession of a keeper? A rule that the keeper can handle it? Fouls by the offensive in the opposing penalty awarded with a DFK from the center spot? There's a defect in the rules, but what's the fix?

Back