Ponderable

AUGUST 11, 2018
Obama Foundation’s monumental rip-off
By Thomas Lifson
The Obama Presidential Center planned for Chicago is nothing more than a personal monument to Barack Obama and a center for political indoctrination in his radical views. It serves no public purpose the way that a presidential library would. Obama’s presidential papers will not be housed there, and no scholars will be afforded the opportunity to explore the history of his presidency.

And, this is receiving vast public subsidies, despite assurances that it would be privately funded. Barack and Michelle Obama have been playing a major role in its design, in a fashion reminiscent of a dictator putting up monuments to himself in some third world country. As the revised design stands, it will look like a cenotaph bizarrely erected before the death and burial of its principal.

208309_5_.jpg

I have written several pieces about the folly of the OPC. But I am delighted to be joined in this by the Wall Street Journal. In an article there, Mark Glennon challenges the vast subsidies that all American taxpayers will be affording this personal and political endeavor:

Illinois taxpayers will put up at least $174 million for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the Obama Center. If you don’t live in Illinois, you may be smirking—but you’ll be footing the bill, too. Eighty percent of such spending is generally reimbursed by the federal government, and Illinois officials confirmed to me that they expect to receive $139 million from Washington if they request it.

Bait and switch

Taxpayers were softened up by a bait and switch strategy:

In a 2014 request for proposal, the Obama Foundation said that the planned presidential library “will include an Institute that will enhance the pursuit of the President’s initiatives beyond 2017.” This institute now seems to have taken over the project. As the Chicago Tribune reported in February: “Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.” No doubt, his definition of “leaders” will be political.

Which raises the question of why the state and city are giving the Obama Center official support. Back when it was still being sold as an official presidential library, the city of Chicago took steps to allow the project to be built in Jackson Park. Under a deal approved by the City Council in May, the Obama Foundation will lease 19.3 acres in perpetuity for $1.

One dollar for perpetual use of a huge amount of priceless lakefront land.

Fortunately, this is not going to happen without a legal challenge:

A nonprofit group called Protect our Parks has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that this violates state law. The suit calls the Obama Center a “bait and switch,” since the “public purpose” of a presidential library no longer exists.

I am proud to report that my work was cited in that lawsuit.

Promises made, promises broken

AUGUST 11, 2018
Obama Foundation’s monumental rip-off
By Thomas Lifson
The Obama Presidential Center planned for Chicago is nothing more than a personal monument to Barack Obama and a center for political indoctrination in his radical views. It serves no public purpose the way that a presidential library would. Obama’s presidential papers will not be housed there, and no scholars will be afforded the opportunity to explore the history of his presidency.

And, this is receiving vast public subsidies, despite assurances that it would be privately funded. Barack and Michelle Obama have been playing a major role in its design, in a fashion reminiscent of a dictator putting up monuments to himself in some third world country. As the revised design stands, it will look like a cenotaph bizarrely erected before the death and burial of its principal.

208309_5_.jpg

I have written several pieces about the folly of the OPC. But I am delighted to be joined in this by the Wall Street Journal. In an article there, Mark Glennon challenges the vast subsidies that all American taxpayers will be affording this personal and political endeavor:

Illinois taxpayers will put up at least $174 million for roadway and transit reconfigurations needed to accommodate the Obama Center. If you don’t live in Illinois, you may be smirking—but you’ll be footing the bill, too. Eighty percent of such spending is generally reimbursed by the federal government, and Illinois officials confirmed to me that they expect to receive $139 million from Washington if they request it.

Bait and switch

Taxpayers were softened up by a bait and switch strategy:

In a 2014 request for proposal, the Obama Foundation said that the planned presidential library “will include an Institute that will enhance the pursuit of the President’s initiatives beyond 2017.” This institute now seems to have taken over the project. As the Chicago Tribune reported in February: “Obama said he envisions his center as a place where young people from around the world can meet each other, get training and prepare to become the next generation of leaders.” No doubt, his definition of “leaders” will be political.

Which raises the question of why the state and city are giving the Obama Center official support. Back when it was still being sold as an official presidential library, the city of Chicago took steps to allow the project to be built in Jackson Park. Under a deal approved by the City Council in May, the Obama Foundation will lease 19.3 acres in perpetuity for $1.

One dollar for perpetual use of a huge amount of priceless lakefront land.

Fortunately, this is not going to happen without a legal challenge:

A nonprofit group called Protect our Parks has filed a federal lawsuit alleging that this violates state law. The suit calls the Obama Center a “bait and switch,” since the “public purpose” of a presidential library no longer exists.

I am proud to report that my work was cited in that lawsuit.

Promises made, promises broken
#gethelpfromLebron

You are a classic case of what's wrong with people. I'll let you think about that one and wait for one of your well thpught out responses..

This discussion started with my observation that t knows what he did in Russia, and by now someone probably has told him that the Russians know what that was.

This ain't going away,
POLICE UNION CANCELS DISCOUNT TICKET PROGRAM AFTER MIAMI DOLPHIN ANTHEM PROTESTS
2:19 PM 08/11/2018
Scott Morefield | Reporter
A union that represents police officers in Florida’s Broward County is canceling its participation in a discount ticket program with the Miami Dolphins after several of the team’s players refused to stand during Thursday’s pre-season game rendition of the national anthem.

Despite the Broward County Police Benevolent Association’s belief that the Miami Dolphins team would be requiring its players to stand, wide receivers Albert Wilson and Kenny Stills kneeled while one player, defensive end Robert Quinn, raised his fist before the team’s game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

“The Broward County PBA recently offered our members discounts to a Miami Dolphins game because that franchise said they were going to honor all First Responders,” read the organization’s Facebook statement, released on Friday. “We entered into this partnership with the understanding that the Dolphins organization would require their players to stand for the National Anthem. This did not happen at last night’s preseason game against Tampa Bay.”

Anthem

IceCube1.jpg

Ron Jenkins/BIG3/Getty Images
WARNER TODD HUSTON 11 Aug 2018

Rapper-producer Ice Cube did not join the chorus of black celebrities critical of Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott for his patriotic stance in favor of the national anthem, instead urging the third year NFL veteran to stand firm on his position.

Coming to Prescott’s defense, the rapper and actor refused to criticize Prescott for turning his back on black victimology and group-think.

“You should do what you feel. That’s whats supposed to be great about being in America, you do what you feel,” Cube saidaccording to Deadline Hollywood. “You don’t have to be in lockstep with anybody. Not the community, not with the coach, not the owner. You do what you feel. And when you do that, sometimes you gotta let the chips fall where they may and live with your decision.”

“What I think he’s doing is what everybody should probably do, is make a decision and live with that and roll with that,” the rapper added. “At a certain point, it becomes everybody else’s problem. Not his. It’s only his problem if he allows it to be; if he allows somebody to change his position. You gotta live with the decision.”

It appears that the NFL player is following that logic whether Ice Cube supports him or not.

In multiple interviews over the last year or so Prescott has repeatedly said that he is “not at all tempted” to protest against the country during the playing of the national anthem. In no uncertain terms, Prescott has said that protesting during the song is “not the right time” for such actions.

t’s bigger than I think some of us think,” Prescott recently explained. “It’s just important for me to go out there, hand over my heart, represent our country and just be thankful and not take anything I’ve been given and my freedom for granted.”

But Prescott’s patriotic feelings about the anthem have made him a target from many black celebrities. Actor D.L. Hughley, for one, used the racial epithet of “boy” to attack Prescott for refusing to kneel against the country during the anthem. And in another case, B-list rapper The Game called Prescott a “coon” and said he should put on a MAGA hat for his position against protesting.

Back