Poll: Changing the Tournament Scene

As a coach or parent what features would you like to see a league or tournament offer:

• Games filmed with player/parent access to films

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • One full length game per day (not two shortened games)

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • Scheduling posted weeks in advance

Votes: 64 64.6%
  • Access to recruiting tools (coach emails, college fits, etc)

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Showcases rather than tournaments

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Games at single location, rather than spread around multiple locations

Votes: 57 57.6%
  • Flexible scheduling (game times and fields can be moved if coaches agree).

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • Fundraising opportunities for teams that do well (return of fees, etc.)

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Flexible guest player procedures

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

While this always sounds like a good idea, it ends up being a major inconvenience. DA tournaments are done this way (with a day off on Friday because of the "no more than two days in a row" rule) which means that in a typical 4 game tournament, you have two games during the week. It's very hard for some players to make it to these games because of school / parents working etc. and the kids are often exhausted and many don't show up.

We have not been to any 4 game DA events. All the official showcases are 3 games in 4 days. It’s about the kids not the parents. In fact parents don’t even need to go since our club travels and stays together as a team. If you are worried about parent inconvenience and want your 4 game in two day events (which I think is not good for the kids) play at a lower level. My kid had no issue with excelling in school while missing a few days.

In travel baseball, there is a such a thing called "scout" style game format.

The teams play multiple shortened (3 innings - the roster bats at least once) games. It allows scouts to see different players and situations very quickly without having to sit through the whole game (6~9 innings depending on the age of the team).

If one were to apply the similar concept to soccer, you can have three to four 20~30 minute games with different opponents without a half time. No score is kept and the 100% focus is on displaying players in the front of scouts. These games are back-to-back since they are short (before many of you with youngers get upset over the rest time and number of games in a day, scouts are not looking at them. Its for older players and these are very short games).

If you are playing these kind of games, you can have any given players play 2 games out of four, say, and only really play 40 minutes at the most.

I believe Albion had something similar to this yesterday morning at the Robb field in SD for college coaches.

So if its a showcase, why not put scouts' interest first. They really don't care to sit through a whole half, let alone the whole game. Most can tell within the first 10 minutes or less about if the player is worth pursuing further. This is true in all sports. Your can almost tell how good the player is by simply watching warmup, jogging and attitude.

We have not been to any 4 game DA events. All the official showcases are 3 games in 4 days. It’s about the kids not the parents. In fact parents don’t even need to go since our club travels and stays together as a team. If you are worried about parent inconvenience and want your 4 game in two day events (which I think is not good for the kids) play at a lower level. My kid had no issue with excelling in school while missing a few days.

That's great that your team doesn't go to these tournaments, but just because you haven't been doesn't mean they don't exist. All the tournaments that accept DA clubs (Manchester City, Surf, Galaxy Cup...) work this way.

But you've missed the point. I'm not complaining about the DA system. I'm just letting people know that there is a tradeoff.

That's great that your team doesn't go to these tournaments, but just because you haven't been doesn't mean they don't exist. All the tournaments that accept DA clubs (Manchester City, Surf, Galaxy Cup...) work this way.

But you've missed the point. I'm not complaining about the DA system. I'm just letting people know that there is a tradeoff.

I understand. We went to many of these tournaments pre DA. My point is that I think there should be more of the one game a day only tournaments especially after the age of 14. And as parents you should be prepared sacrifice a bit for that format.

I understand. We went to many of these tournaments pre DA. My point is that I think there should be more of the one game a day only tournaments especially after the age of 14. And as parents you should be prepared sacrifice a bit for that format.
My kid played DA and what I can say is that 1 game a day needs to be rethought.

Frankly, any given DA age group after U14 has roster size somewhere north of 22 players, which means aside from the regular starters, most don't play much.

Keep the one game per day rule for the players but have two games and force the clubs to play the bench players more and give them starting role (more than 25%).

FWIW, and not sure if even on topic, my two DDs LOVED tournaments when they played with their old club. Great camaraderie, sense of occasion and lots of competitive touches on the ball. Two games a day was just perfect for them, though as the kids get to 17 years ish one a day starts to make more sense. And 3 games in a single day is definitely too much, third game is more of a battle of body and will than soccer.

My kid played DA and what I can say is that 1 game a day needs to be rethought.

Frankly, any given DA age group after U14 has roster size somewhere north of 22 players, which means aside from the regular starters, most don't play much.

Keep the one game per day rule for the players but have two games and force the clubs to play the bench players more and give them starting role (more than 25%).

Would have to be rules changes to make that work.

18 player game day w/ 5 max subs depending on AG . 45 min half's playing at full speed one game a day is plenty.

You would really need almost two teams worth of players with the fifa rules to play two full length games at speed same day. Some of the kids are almost full grown by u15+ so I don't see two full games same day being a good idea without rule changes.

Besides the Galaxy haven't seen much of any DA teams having more than 18 at any given time in 3 yrs. sure some come & go due to injury, DP, HS or whatever but regulars beyond the 18 max is unsual.

...You would really need almost two teams worth of players with the fifa rules to play two full length games at speed same day....

Besides the Galaxy haven't seen much of any DA teams having more than 18 at any given time in 3 yrs.....

No, I disagree with the statement.

Having had my kid play through U18/19, there are more than enough players to field 2 teams at almost all academies. Also, USSF encourages clubs to play youngers up so there's that too.

The only thing is that you see a big drop off at U18/19 because kids are committed to colleges and simply less kids still playing in general. Many U16/17 players play up and most clubs carry the largest number for U16/17 for that purpose.

Since the roster is calculated based on multiyear age group and the limit is set for that and not an age group, it gives clubs flexibility.

No, I disagree with the statement.

Having had my kid play through U18/19, there are more than enough players to field 2 teams at almost all academies. Also, USSF encourages clubs to play youngers up so there's that too.

The only thing is that you see a big drop off at U18/19 because kids are committed to colleges and simply less kids still playing in general. Many U16/17 players play up and most clubs carry the largest number for U16/17 for that purpose.

Since the roster is calculated based on multiyear age group and the limit is set for that and not an age group, it gives clubs flexibility.

Ok yeah couple kids playing is the normal but still doesn't change the fact playing there is only 5 subs max per game. With 10 max possible over two games that's 21 players. Exhibition games like the summer tours with line like changes at half is about the only time you see line or mass subs.

90mins as a starter for at least 6 of those players is the min but ussda nor does nobody else recommends mutiple games same day or even the next day with those fifa rules da uses playing those kind of minutes.

As a result da shorten the showcase & games and gives a rest day after 2 consecutive. Also teams normally don't have enough mutiple postional players to make that work without 2 teams worth of players which most don't use or have.

Besdies galaxy what clubs are referring to? Played them all for years and some only had 16 regular players with some movement but all teams normally play the same day so borrowing is not that common either.

Euporean tournaments get it so that's why the play one game a day normally and they even shorten them, 3 days for pool games, qrts or semis 1 day each and finals the last day. Running Monday - Friday or to Saturday but no Sunday play. The quality of play is better overall and even with 18 some starters don't even sub.

.......90mins as a starter for at least 6 of those players is the min but ussda nor does nobody else recommends mutiple games same day or even the next day with those fifa rules da uses playing those kind of minutes......
You seem to have missed a part of my initial post on this particular subject.

I'd said to keep the one game per day rule for the players.

The whole point is to play more players and give them minutes during showcases and tournaments.

With all the bench players and DPs, large clubs (Pats, Surf, Strikers and so on) have plenty of Flight 1 players and so called Reserve Academy players in their system. Why not give them opportunity to play?

Sub rules don't have to change - its fine as is.

By having 2 games/day and players being only eligible for a single game, it forces clubs to play others - which is what I'd said originally.

You seem to have missed a part of my initial post on this particular subject.

I'd said to keep the one game per day rule for the players.

The whole point is to play more players and give them minutes during showcases and tournaments.

With all the bench players and DPs, large clubs (Pats, Surf, Strikers and so on) have plenty of Flight 1 players and so called Reserve Academy players in their system. Why not give them opportunity to play?

Sub rules don't have to change - its fine as is.

By having 2 games/day and players being only eligible for a single game, it forces clubs to play others - which is what I'd said originally.

I believe several of the Albion teams had two teams participate per age group in the San Diego DA showcase. Another team from North Carolina did the same thing at the Winter DA Showcase.

I believe several of the Albion teams had two teams participate per age group in the San Diego DA showcase. Another team from North Carolina did the same thing at the Winter DA Showcase.

Seen a guest team from SD on the boys side at this year's summer showcase. Club got u15 this upcoming season 18-19 so they asked to enter there top flight team that played scdsl even through they would be u16 this season.

Seemed odd to me & they matched up with the bottom teams from the other divisions. winning one of the games I recall. Getting some experience is good normally but with some many teams playing wonder how many guest teams they could accommodate.

Back