Please take concussions seriously

In order to obtain and maintain your Referee license (Grade 9+) you have to take an online concussion module and answer questions correctly. Coaches must also take the same modules.

While its the Responsibility of the referee to stop the game and allow the player to be evaluated, it is not the responsibility of the Referee to check whether the player was cleared to play ... that rests on the Youth Sports Organization (Cal South, the League, the Clubs, the Tournament, etc.) under the new law. Referee's must notate on their game report serious injuries, including concussions.

My belief is you will see the better clubs/leagues begin to play their games only at large facilities because the economics are there to bring in trained Athletic Trainers and EMTs to conduct an initial quasi-medically trained concussion diagnoses, which will insulate the Youth Sports Organization from liability under the new law.

BTW, from what I have seen, there exists a fundamental problem in the referee vs concussion handling scenario. There has been basically a lack of training/education given to referees. This includes for handling player issues, and for handling any issue that may arise with the referee crew. The center referee is in the highest level, for potential concussion happenings. They could get hit by a hard kicked ball, or accidentally hit by a fast moving player and knocked to the ground. The AR can get hit by the ball, trip over a hole/spectator. If a member of the crew was to be placed in a concussion related scenario, what is done? Do they sit out? What does the crew do, in regards to the member of their crew that was involved in the incident? Does a report have to be made? Often referees are just dropped off. If the referee was knocked out, what is to be done (bear in mind that with no parent there, there is no medical consent). What does the crew do?

Your statement, "There has been basically a lack of training/education given to referees," is total BS. Beginning four years ago referees began receiving training on concussion/head injuries and how to handle (protocols) a possible concussion. I have had three sessions of training on head injuries plus two online CDC and US Soccer trainings in the past year. The majority of referees are far more educated on concussion symptoms and the protocols than most coaches or parents.

Your statement, "There has been basically a lack of training/education given to referees," is total BS. Beginning four years ago referees began receiving training on concussion/head injuries and how to handle (protocols) a possible concussion. I have had three sessions of training on head injuries plus two online CDC and US Soccer trainings in the past year. The majority of referees are far more educated on concussion symptoms and the protocols than most coaches or parents.

Glad to hear that you live in a progressive environment. This is not necessarily the same in all areas, for youth referees.

Glad to hear that you live in a progressive environment. This is not necessarily the same in all areas, for youth referees.
All youth and adult referees in the United States that are licensed by the USSF, must go through concussion training every year. What do you mean by "other areas"?

All youth and adult referees in the United States that are licensed by the USSF, must go through concussion training every year. What do you mean by "other areas"?

I am fully aware of concussion training required for getting the license. It is quick and basic, like the CDC course for coaches, and the course given to high school coaches through NFHS. By 'other areas', I am referring to any area outside of the area in which you normally do games in, which also applies to my comment, which refers to the areas that I frequently see.

Let me clarify something. I am speaking of 'reinforcement' training, not the basic on-line course taken to get the license. I am speaking of additional training, based on classroom question and answers.

Let me clarify something. I am speaking of 'reinforcement' training, not the basic on-line course taken to get the license. I am speaking of additional training, based on classroom question and answers.

We are required to complete the online training along with classroom training to referee any Cal South or USSF sanctioned game, High School game and College game. Unless you are referring to pickup games which normally do not have referees, any referee that has a USSF, NFHS or NISOA (college) badge will have gone through the online training and at least one classroom session per badge per year. Last year I completed two online trainings and four classroom trainings on concussions and head injuries with the classroom sessions lasting 60-90 minutes. That is far more training than club coaches receive and a hell of a lot more than the majority of parents receive.

Back