Playing with a Headcold

Do you let your kid play with head cold? Not talking the flu or anything involving a fever, just some coughing and sneezing. I'm asking because I've seen different tolerance levels from this on our team and even in our family. DOS's water polo teammate has a cold and he's competing in a tournament tomorrow.

What are your thoughts? Does the age matter (were you less likely to let them play when they were younger)? How about their position (for example a goalkeeper who doesn't have a backup)? Does the weather matter?

My own rule is generally if there's a fever you sit.

Age?
Sub rules?
How many on the roster?

I'm curious generally. How about an 8 year, 12 year or 16 year old?
For the sub and roster rules assume the coach would make the decision and is o.k. with it (either because he has unlimited subs or needs the player present for skill, lack of a substitute).

If your team is a group of 8 year olds with 3 or 4 subs- Take the weekend off and get better.
If you’ve only got 1 sub—tell the coach you’ll play but to monitor the player. If he plays the kid every minute of the 1st game and it’s obvious the kid is struggling- take the rest of the weekend off.
Probably the same up to 14 years old.

Older kids- if it’s an “important” tournament, play for as long as you can. But make sure to keep a close eye on hydration and nutrition. And look for signs of fatigue. And pull the plug if your kid is gassed.
No sense playing when you are exhausted in a worthless summer tournament with a risk of injury.

The general "medical" advice rule is moderate exercise is fine with a cold as long as the symptoms are above the shoulders (in the head). Sniffles, congestion, soar through really won't become better or worse with exercise, but congestion tends to go away and become a runny nose ... no big deal.

Below the shoulders, chest congestion, coughing, intestinal issues ... sit it out.

For whatever reason it seems like the younger the patient the quicker they bounce back. The common cold is not something I worry about and both myself and my kids are expected to push through. School, work, sports ... push through.

Back