Playing from the ground

I have read through the FIFA Laws of the Game and did not see anything that specifically prohibit a player playing the ball while seated or laying on the ground. Did I miss it, or are the parents that always complain about it from the sideline even more clueless than I am?

I have read through the FIFA Laws of the Game and did not see anything that specifically prohibit a player playing the ball while seated or laying on the ground. Did I miss it, or are the parents that always complain about it from the sideline even more clueless than I am?
yes, they are more clueless than you are. see response above ^

Thanks TangoCity and baldref. I wanted to check since one of our parents is also a ref and complained about it at a game.

I wonder where people get the impression that playing from the ground is a penalty? I know that indoor soccer does not allow playing from the ground. Does AYSO?

Think about it ... a slide tackle is technically playing from the ground, GK's play from the ground all the time.. As others have pointed out, the only consideration is whether the act of playing from the ground creates a dangerous situation for ANY player (including the kid on the ground).

I wonder where people get the impression that playing from the ground is a penalty? I know that indoor soccer does not allow playing from the ground. Does AYSO?

Indoor soccer rules that I have seen at 4 different amateur sites and various pro leagues have rules about playing from the ground or slide-tackling all over the map. I have also seen referees interpret those rules differently within a single facility.

You are correct. Nothing says you cannot play on the ground.

Thought it was a penalty if it happens in the box? As in, keeper goes low for the ball and player kicks from the ground = cleat to the face.

Players are required to play in a manner that is neither "careless" nor "reckless" nor "excessive." A keeper challenging for the ball is also required to adhere to these rules. The heat of competition and aggressive nature of keepers and strikers often causes tough calls for refs. Because the keeper has every right to play the ball in the box with their hands, the strikers must accept that continuing to play a 50/50 ball may result in a foul (yellow or red) if they continue their course. Because keepers can use their hands, its much easier for a foul to be called due to dangerous play or unsporting behavior.

This weekend while Ref'ing a scrimmage, the keeper came out on a breakaway in the box. Dove to the right, just as the striker kicked the ball. Ball went wide, keeper didn't get their hands on it and a collision ensued. The striker put his non-striking foot out (cleats to the chest) to protect himself, keeper rolled around in pain for about 1 minute. I called a foul on the striker ... coach for the attacking team (and some of the players) were beside themselves believing that a penalty shot should have been called because the keeper caused the collision. This was a Premiere level team.

If the striker had not put his cleat out to protect himself, I would have called a foul on the keeper, but because I viewed the striker's play as dangerous, foul was called on the striker. What this coach and players didn't appreciate is that players have a duty to avoid collisions and if a collision is unavoidable to use the least amount of force to protect themselves and their opponent.

I thought that if you're a field player and are purposefully playing from the ground in the midst of a bunch of other players you are endangering yourself (could get kicked in face)...hence, you'll get called for dangerous play. I've seen this called many times.

I thought that if you're a field player and are purposefully playing from the ground in the midst of a bunch of other players you are endangering yourself (could get kicked in face)...hence, you'll get called for dangerous play. I've seen this called many times.

You are correct. The player on the ground can play the ball while on the ground, but must not do it in a dangerous situation such as multiple players kicking near them. That player on the ground needs to make an attempt to get up. Most of the time I call Dangerous Play is for "high kick" or a player that is on the ground and still trying to kick the ball in the middle of other players kicking around them.

Back