Player playing 3 years up.

Ask any club coach who coaches HS soccer. They’ll tell you it’s awful. Perhaps you are a coach who disagrees. I talk with many coaches, especially on the girls side that all say the same.

They joke that they have to train kids how to play soccer again after the HS break. I’ve heard this from coaches that have had teams in the CIF and Southern Section finals.

Is it fun, yes? There’s great team spirit and inner city pride. It’s also fun playing against club teammates in a different setting. Is it good? No. First of all, you’re missing most of the high level talent. Ask any strong player playing HS; they may love it, but they know it’s not good.

I always like to compare HS Soccer like NT Soccer. The Nationals Teams don’t really get to choose their players. It’s who they get and maybe a transfer here and there(nationalities switch). So, sometimes you get the US playing against Haiti, or Bermuda, etc. And those teams dont stand the chance, and the players risk getting injured because of the level of the opposition. But then you have teams like France, who play against Italy, Spain, Germany, England... better opposition and better level. HS is the same. We are lucky to be in a good area. I’m not the HS coach. But in this school 17 out of the 18 players play club, they have a coach who coaches club, and the teams they play against are similar, even better. We played against teams who had college commits in their squads. Again, not as bad as you might think. It just depends where you’re at. I do have heard that club coaches have had to teach again their system of play, but that’s more on the line of “teaching my system, the way our club plays” rather than teaching them how to control a ball, etc.

Wow! High School soccer like the National Team! Are you at JSerra?

Wow!! Is that what you are getting from what I’m saying?! Here let me explain it, see if you comprehend this time.. I said I like to compare in the way they don’t get to choose players. In national teams, a player plays for their country they were born, area region, etc. (With the exception being the ones that change nationalities, etc).

HS is the same in the way that a player plays and goes to a high school depending where they live, the area, district, etc. With the exception being the transfers. (I’m leaving the privates out of this, that’s a diff. story).

Club soccer, there’s no restrictions, you can recruit, get whomever you can, just like pro-Soccer... and no, I’m not comparing the level... I’m sorry, but you are dumb if you think I’m comparing the level of play of national team soccer with HS Soccer!!

Arguably the 2 best HS teams in Southern California - Smchs and J Serra recruit.

Chuck Morales no longer coaches club to my knowledge.

I would guess Greg Baker prefers pleading ECNL with his 02 squad over HS - even though it’s the same team.

There’s little comp for them at the HS level at all.

You do realize that when they play high school, unless they’re on the Frosh/Soph team, the 14 yr. old freshman could potentially play against girls 2, 3 or even 4 years older. This is the problem with US Soccer. We’re afraid of putting the younger up against older. Have you heard of Mallory Pugh?! Senior National team player at 17 years old, playing with players even 10 years her senior... but that’s a topic we could talk for hours... we need to stop making our kids soft!

Your response is almost not worth answering because there are so many holes in your rebuttal.
First of all HS teams will not have an entire high level team, it will he a mix match group of abilities and commitment, so your comparison is way off. And secondly “making kids soft” WTH are you taking about? The thruth is if you put most any little girl in a setting with young women that are three years older is what will make them soft, it will break their spirit and ruin their confidence making them look “soft” ! Further more you crazy bastard we are taking about a 14 yr old little girl playing a sport!
You take a 5’ 10 150lb high level soccer player and piss her off as a 14 girl she will physically destroy you. And the most importantly the mental aspect of playing up with women is really hard on any girl 3 years younger.
It’s just a bad idea all the way around!

What in the world could ever be a reason for a little 03 to play with women @ 00?
3 years up is stupid for any player and never a real reason. A above average 2000 is 18 yr old young women that could physically and emotionally destroy a 03 of any caliber.
She might hang with them in skill level as long as your in State Cup and not with a top National Cup level team and eventually she will tangle with the wrong young lady that will put her in her place.
No reason ever to play 3 years up.

This is generalized statement. Many 03 girls who is good enough played or still playing CIF on HS Varsity teams along and against 00 and 99s.

This is generalized statement. Many 03 girls who is good enough played or still playing CIF on HS Varsity teams along and against 00 and 99s.

My point is high school soccer and the high school caliber teams are NOTHING like playing 3 years up @ National Cup.
It doesn’t work and it is not benificial to anyone involved.

Back