Player-Centric College Soccer Information

Ashley is really 5’3” (5’4” with cleats) and probably 115 lbs. What many don’t know is Ashley is very very strong for her size. I recall she already had a six pack when she was 10 years old.

I agree a smaller player needs to be at a minimum 110 lbs and quick. IMO, what is more important for a smaller player is they need to have a low center of gravity...so they are not knocked of the ball and play in a possession oriented system. It’s why the smaller rostered players at UCLA and Flordia are successful, because of their possession oriented play.

I know it's common in the US to judge soccer players by body types, but I think it is a big mistake. This is not a one size fits all sport. It's a sport made for... well... those who are good at soccer... regardless of body type.

There is a dancer-like agility quotient to this sport which is what makes it "the beautiful game" in the rest of the world-- and I think that is often neglected here.

I mean really-- how big and heavy is Christen Press? And Andi Sullivan looks to be tall and lanky-- definitely not heavy or a low center of gravity. Both great soccer players.

I know it's common in the US to judge soccer players by body types, but I think it is a big mistake. This is not a one size fits all sport. It's a sport made for... well... those who are good at soccer... regardless of body type.

There is a dancer-like agility quotient to this sport which is what makes it "the beautiful game" in the rest of the world-- and I think that is often neglected here.

If your legs are long enough to reach the ground, you can play.

I mean really-- how big and heavy is Christen Press? And Andi Sullivan looks to be tall and lanky-- definitely not heavy or a low center of gravity. Both great soccer players.
Christine Press and Andi Sullivan are not small. They are both 5’7” they don’t need to have a low center of gravity.

I agree with you, unfortunately we live in the US though.

I agree with you unless the kid is super light, and super small, in which case I would recommend division 2 or division 3 if they still want to play in college.
Even if they are good players, it will be hard for them to stay in one piece at the division 1 level.
I have a daughter who weighed 102 lbs when she showed up as a freshman, and despite trying to add weight, still weighs less than 110 going into her sophomore year.
She plays D-2 on a lower level team, and could handle the speed and power at that level because she is strong although, tiny.
I would not want to see her at D-1.
I have another daughter who plays D-1, who is in the 120 lb range, and 5-5 now (allegedly). The college D-1 game is physical.

btw, when you look on a roster and see their listed height, take it with a grain of salt. most of the shorter kids fudge it a little.

Christine Press and Andi Sullivan are not small. They are both 5’7” they don’t need to have a low center of gravity.
Press also possesses elite speed, an asset that her college and pro coaches exploited, but one that seems either less valued and/or less effective on the USWNT (though I would argue a few more diagonal/direct balls to her and Pugh would destroy that high line Japan plays, or at least keep them more honest).

If you are going to be small in D1, you best have agility, speed and strength. Ball skills and a high soccer IQ is only
part of the toolbox.

Excellent information. I really appreciate the perspective on small-light players.

My son thought he was fast until he went to college, and his roommate (who was the smallest on the team) turned out to be the fastest player on the team (including all the upperclassmen). The roomie also won the Freshman of the Year award at the team banquet after he set the school record for assists in one game near the end of the season. So small and fast is good.

I agree with you unless the kid is super light, and super small, in which case I would recommend division 2 or division 3 if they still want to play in college.
Even if they are good players, it will be hard for them to stay in one piece at the division 1 level.
I have a daughter who weighed 102 lbs when she showed up as a freshman, and despite trying to add weight, still weighs less than 110 going into her sophomore year.
She plays D-2 on a lower level team, and could handle the speed and power at that level because she is strong although, tiny.
I would not want to see her at D-1.
I have another daughter who plays D-1, who is in the 120 lb range, and 5-5 now (allegedly). The college D-1 game is physical.

btw, when you look on a roster and see their listed height, take it with a grain of salt. most of the shorter kids fudge it a little.
My daughter is almost 5-7. The girl standing next to her on her team photo is listed at 5-8 yet my DD is taller then her, so yea,, take those listed heights with a grain of salt. But to your point, she is about 120, standing in the rain, but is normally the fastest on the pitch. Probably due to less wind resistance.

Funny story. On her first club team she not only was one of the ligjtest but one of the shortest. They were doing parachute sprints on a windy day. The coach would not let her participate...

Keep the small player success stories coming. My player is smaller and lighter than most but speed, tenacity, IQ and great ball handling make up for a lot. Messi does ok for himself. Klingenberg does ok. The whole Japanese national team is about 5’2. She knows to expect discrimination based on her size, but also that there are lots of success stories despite small size so she should never let it be an excuse.

I have become aware of the imbalance in power between colleges and athletes in the recruiting AND the retention process and/or transfer options (bad fits for many reasons - change in major, injury, change in coach, failure to develop as coaches predict, etc.).

Is there a published resource for athletes and parents to consult during the recruiting process through the end of the freshman or sophomore year? For example, the differences between a four-year university commitment and a year-to-year scholarship commitment. Also, the pros and cons of D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JC.
I left this link on the "College Recruiting" section today, but this will answer most of your questions and give good resources to other questions they don't answer directly....and it's free. :) We learned a lot in this short read.
http://iawrrgoptin.pages.ontraport.net/

Back