Player-Centric College Soccer Information

I have become aware of the imbalance in power between colleges and athletes in the recruiting AND the retention process and/or transfer options (bad fits for many reasons - change in major, injury, change in coach, failure to develop as coaches predict, etc.).

Is there a published resource for athletes and parents to consult during the recruiting process through the end of the freshman or sophomore year? For example, the differences between a four-year university commitment and a year-to-year scholarship commitment. Also, the pros and cons of D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JC.

I have become aware of the imbalance in power between colleges and athletes in the recruiting AND the retention process and/or transfer options (bad fits for many reasons - change in major, injury, change in coach, failure to develop as coaches predict, etc.).

Is there a published resource for athletes and parents to consult during the recruiting process through the end of the freshman or sophomore year? For example, the differences between a four-year university commitment and a year-to-year scholarship commitment. Also, the pros and cons of D1, D2, D3, NAIA, and JC.
It really depends on the student athlete. Hopefully you know where your kid fits in as far as D1-JC. But a useful start is collegefitfinder.com.

Hopefully your club can set you up with an account. My daughter was able to narrow her choices down once she knew what she wanted to major in.

The biggest thing that is overlooked in most of these kinds of questions, is consistency.
Look for it in the school, athletic program, and coach.
Our family was fortunate to have choices. In the end, it came down to a program with a coach that has a great reputation, and has been running the program for almost two decades.
We knew he wasnt leaving, and we knew he keeps his word.

If a coach guarantees playing time, run the other way.
Other things can be promised and kept, but not that.

It really depends on the student athlete. Hopefully you know where your kid fits in as far as D1-JC. But a useful start is collegefitfinder.com.

Hopefully your club can set you up with an account. My daughter was able to narrow her choices down once she knew what she wanted to major in.
Thank you multisport and rick fandango - My daughter has solid ball and field IQ. She is small. Very small.

She is also academically talented. We are trying to determine how to support her.

Thank you multisport and rick fandango - My daughter has solid ball and field IQ. She is small. Very small.

She is also academically talented. We are trying to determine how to support her.
Some of the best players are small. Bri Visalli comes to mind.
Small players need to be realistic, however.
Players who are too light, with slight frames will have a very tough time in division 1.

The biggest thing that is overlooked in most of these kinds of questions, is consistency.
Look for it in the school, athletic program, and coach.
Our family was fortunate to have choices. In the end, it came down to a program with a coach that has a great reputation, and has been running the program for almost two decades.
We knew he wasnt leaving, and we knew he keeps his word.

If a coach guarantees playing time, run the other way.
Other things can be promised and kept, but not that.

I’m clueless about this entire process. Why would you run if a coach guarantees playing time? Thanks for the info.

Here is a tip. If your dd is going to be the shortest player on the team by far, it probably is not going to be a good fit. Look at the University of Washington team picture and guess which one is Nogoals dd. Not bashing her as she is a great player, but ever coach has a picture of their ideal player and she definitely did not fit that profile.

Here is a tip. If your dd is going to be the shortest player on the team by far, it probably is not going to be a good fit. Look at the University of Washington team picture and guess which one is Nogoals dd. Not bashing her as she is a great player, but ever coach has a picture of their ideal player and she definitely did not fit that profile.

Actually, Shay Villanueva and Shannon Simone in the picture are both 5’3” but because of the angle the players were put in and both of them being in the front (Sr’s) they both look a lot taller than they actually are. Those 2 players were on the team when my DD originally committed, so it’s NOT like they didn’t have smaller rostered players thus raising red flags at the time. UDub also has another 5’2” SoCal player committed for their incoming class of 2018.

A red flag warning would be the rosters of Wazzu and Colorado where the vast majority of players are 5’6” and 5’7” (or taller) respectively.

Last edited:
She's not that small.
Im talking about really light players (under 110lbs)
Ashley is really 5’3” (5’4” with cleats) and probably 115 lbs. What many don’t know is Ashley is very very strong for her size. I recall she already had a six pack when she was 10 years old.

I agree a smaller player needs to be at a minimum 110 lbs and quick. IMO, what is more important for a smaller player is they need to have a low center of gravity...so they are not knocked of the ball and play in a possession oriented system. It’s why the smaller rostered players at UCLA and Flordia are successful, because of their possession oriented play.

Last edited:
Ashley is really 5’3” (5’4” with cleats) and probably 115 lbs. What many don’t know is Ashley is very very strong for her size. I recall she already had a six pack when she was 10 years old.

I agree a smaller player needs to be at a minimum 110 lbs and quick. IMO, what is more important for a smaller player is they need to have a low center of gravity...so they are not knocked of the ball and play in a possession oriented system.
Bri Visalli is about 5 feet tall, but solid.
Small size can be an advantage, but being too light in div. 1 is tough.
Small players need to be strong, and quick, both mentally and physically.
I mentioned very light players in response to CP, who alluded to his/her kid being extremely small.

I’m clueless about this entire process. Why would you run if a coach guarantees playing time? Thanks for the info.
They cant guarantee playing time without being dishonest to someone.
Either they are being dishonest to the player they "guarantee", or they are being dishonest to the other players who are told they have an equal chance to earn playing time.
Think about it.
What is the mission of the program and the team?
The best players play, regardless. It aint AYSO.
The kids on the team know who deserves to play, and who gives them the best chance of winning, and it is determined on the practice field and on gameday.
Sometimes the best players are the ones who just flat out work harder.

They cant guarantee playing time without being dishonest to someone.
Either they are being dishonest to the player they "guarantee", or they are being dishonest to the other players who are told they have an equal chance to earn playing time.
Think about it.
What is the mission of the program and the team?
The best players play, regardless. It aint AYSO.
The kids on the team know who deserves to play, and who gives them the best chance of winning, and it is determined on the practice field and on gameday.
Sometimes the best players are the ones who just flat out work harder.

How do you know what they have told the other players?

How do you know what they have told the other players?
If a coach is honest and promises to start and play player A, he would also need to tell player B that even though player B may work harder, and deserves to play, player A will play anyway because he promised player A.

Sounds like a winning strategy, lol.

For the record, nobody ever promised my kids playing time, nor did my kids ask.

Bri Visalli is about 5 feet tall, but solid.
Small size can be an advantage, but being too light in div. 1 is tough.
Small players need to be strong, and quick, both mentally and physically.
I mentioned very light players in response to CP, who alluded to his/her kid being extremely small.
Exactly and what helps her is TW let’s her be as creative as she needs to be on the pitch. If she was in a kick and run system. She wouldn’t have been as successful as she was at Pepperdine. Credit goes to the coaching staff for recognizing that.

If a coach is honest and promises to start and play player A, he would also need to tell player B that even though player B may work harder, and deserves to play, player A will play anyway because he promised player A.

Sounds like a winning strategy, lol.

For the record, nobody ever promised my kids playing time, nor did my kids ask.

Why would he "need to"?

Back